Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Wow....where did the KISS practice go with all those wires...…... I expect they'll be bundled up neatly when the time comes.

On the subject of wire...….I just bought one of those auto wire stripping pliers on BANGGOOD for US$8.99......all these years I've been doing it the hard way and stripping back the insulation with a knife and side cutters...…..it's perfect....now they'll have to prise it out of my cold gnarled hand before I let it go.
    Ian.
    Must admit that even though i have two wire strippers, one at work and one at home i hardly ever use them

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/

I couldn't resist the price.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The only difference with your tests would be Parameter settings your Sako has the same PWM output as any other VFD Drive The Sako Drive is also quite inexpensive and can be brought for less than the HY there are may choices for VFD Drives it just depends how much the user wants to spend
    Oh no, again you prove that you really don't know much about drives or the technology that "drives" them. Maybe do a bit more google searches than usual mate

Downloads
    Uploads

I couldn't resist the price.
    I would like to see what it looks like

Downloads
    Uploads

On EBAY as well under wire strippers....the ones with the yellow handles that strip and crimp too.....A$14.00....I got the BANGGOOD one in 3 days as it was probably a local stockist......having test used it for a hundred odd wire pieces I highly recommend it.....I'll see if I can post a pic.
    Ian.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach-wire-stripper-pliers-1-htm-jpg  
    Last edited by handlewanker; 11-12-2019 at 12:27 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kinghong1970 View Post
    Mactec54,

thank you very much!
    i am using a double pole breaker at my panel. i am not sure if i should have a breaker at the VFD enclosure or that on/off switch would suffice.

still not quite 100% sure if i need a Neutral coming into the box. if the contactor coil voltage is 110-250VAC, can i just connect A2 from Contactor to the other RED hot leg?

thanks again

Al
    You only need a Neutral if you are using 120v which is always good to have which can be used where needed, so if 120v is needed anywhere then yes add the neutral

The main Breaker should not be the only source for protection, if you used that only then you would not use a fuse in the feed to the VFD Drive

The On/Off switch can be a 2 Pole Breaker which you would have in your cabinet, this would serve both as protection and as a Switch

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach-fuji-jpg   Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach-disconnect-switches-5-png   Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach-disconnect-switches-7-jpg  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok so follow-up question.

so i checked my basement again and i currently have L6-20 receptacle already installed.
    so i've revised as followsAttachment 431076

changes made:

1) A2 on the Contactor connected to RED
    2) Added CL-523Y Indicator Light to 4T2 and 6T3
    Nominal Lamp Voltage:240 VAC
    https://www.galco.com/buy/ABB/CL-523Y

3) eliminated Neutral inside the enclosure

4) added fuse to the other line

thanks!

Al
    You should not use a Fuse in this case it wants to Be a 2 Pole Breaker then if there is a fault both lines supplying the VFD Drive will be cut at the same time

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

You only need a Neutral if you are using 120v which is always good to have which can be used where needed, so if 120v is needed anywhere then yes add the neutral

The main Breaker should not be the only source for protection, if you used that only then you would not use a fuse in the feed to the VFD Drive

The On/Off switch can be a 2 Pole Breaker which you would have in your cabinet, this would serve both as protection and as a Switch
    hahaha and i just PM'd you about this...
    i do have a 120V receptacle in the area to power the PC and G540s... it comes from same panel but ran separate lines...
    i was planning to use this

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/r...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

installed on the panel...

[SIZE="1"]my first..."[B][COLOR="Red"]Big Ape[/COLOR][/B]" CNCRP 2448 [URL="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wood_router_project_log/151447-big_apes_crp-2448_build.html"]Build Log[/URL][/SIZE]

Downloads
    Uploads

i do have a 120V receptacle in the area to power the PC and G540s... it comes from same panel but ran separate lines...

Yes that is a good switch for Cabinet supply On/Off this is not a circuit protection though which you should have where your fuses are ( 2 Pole Breaker 25A max 30A ) Power Filter 30A TDK RSEN-2030L

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach-tdk-lambda-rsen-2030l-power-filter-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

On EBAY as well under wire strippers....the ones with the yellow handles that strip and crimp too.....A$14.00....I got the BANGGOOD one in 3 days as it was probably a local stockist......having test used it for a hundred odd wire pieces I highly recommend it.....I'll see if I can post a pic.
    Ian.
    Thanks for the image

Downloads
    Uploads

Good choice of Isolator, i use the same one on my panels. Not bad for the price

Downloads
    Uploads

Al, i was just wondering how you going with this?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    Al, i was just wondering how you going with this?
    Ericks, i'm patiently awaiting parts...

received line filter:
    https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...219-ND/7044342

getting rest of stuff by friday.

got the mock up mounted on a plywood to "test"

hoping to get some progress over the weekend.

thanks!

Al

[SIZE="1"]my first..."[B][COLOR="Red"]Big Ape[/COLOR][/B]" CNCRP 2448 [URL="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wood_router_project_log/151447-big_apes_crp-2448_build.html"]Build Log[/URL][/SIZE]

Downloads
    Uploads

Ericks, i'm patiently awaiting parts...

received line filter:
    https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...219-ND/7044342

getting rest of stuff by friday.

got the mock up mounted on a plywood to "test"

hoping to get some progress over the weekend.

thanks!

Al
    That is great. There are many options re parts to use. Finding the right combination can be a challenge. For sure doing it on plywood is a good idea. I usually also use scrap material to make sure everything fits

Downloads
    Uploads

yea, hindsight kinda sucks...

wanted a 8 3/4" deep enclosure for the stuff... figured bigger = better...
    received a 20x20x8.75" enclosure... yea... too big...

getting a 12x16x8.75 enclosure today.
    the HY VFD with the POT knob is a bit deep...

just received the MOM NO and MOM NC switches and the contactor... ABB feels much nicer than the amazon/china-zon ones...

lol at me... using cheap VFD/Spindle and expensive switches... ha!

Downloads
    Uploads

So minor update...

Created a mock up on a piece of plywood to test up to the EMI filter.

Please don't mind the messy wiring... this is just to see if it works...
    Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach-img_7572-jpg

Mounted the switches and indicator light (temporarily connected to the outputs of the EMI filter as indicator)
    Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach-img_7573-jpg

some Liquid Courage...
    Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach-59555321811__631eac5b-03e6-4b3f-a785-d3e2294b6a9e-jpg

Voila, press GREEN then the contactor engages and LIGHT ON! woot!
    red button disengages the contactor! WOOT!
    Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach-img_7574-jpg

had a minor issue... my previous wiring pretty much turned on the mini 12V PSU when i turned on the "isolator" AKA Red/Yellow thingy knob switchy...
    so re-wiring such that the HOT for the PSU is connected to the un-used pole of the contactor as such...

Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach-wiring-diagram-vfd-enclosure-jpg
    so when the contactor is engaged, the 120mm Fan will power up and also thinking of connecting the 12V pump as well.

now to connect to VFD and get movement on the spindle.

Cheers!

Al

Downloads
    Uploads

So minor update...

Created a mock up on a piece of plywood to test up to the EMI filter.

Please don't mind the messy wiring... this is just to see if it works...
    Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach-img_7572-jpg

Mounted the switches and indicator light (temporarily connected to the outputs of the EMI filter as indicator)
    Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach-img_7573-jpg

some Liquid Courage...
    Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach-59555321811__631eac5b-03e6-4b3f-a785-d3e2294b6a9e-jpg

Voila, press GREEN then the contactor engages and LIGHT ON! woot!
    red button disengages the contactor! WOOT!
    Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach-img_7574-jpg

had a minor issue... my previous wiring pretty much turned on the mini 12V PSU when i turned on the "isolator" AKA Red/Yellow thingy knob switchy...
    so re-wiring such that the HOT for the PSU is connected to the un-used pole of the contactor as such...

Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach-wiring-diagram-vfd-enclosure-jpg
    so when the contactor is engaged, the 120mm Fan will power up and also thinking of connecting the 12V pump as well.

now to connect to VFD and get movement on the spindle.

Cheers!

Al
    Run the Filter Ground to the VFD Ground

For your spindle Shielded wire clamp, you can just use a 360 degree clamp attached to the Ground plane once you do your final install, keep the insolation ( outer jacket ) on as much of the Spindle Cable as possible and only expose as much wire as needed to make the connection

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach-grounding-shields-7-png   Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach-shield-clamp-3-png   Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach-shield-grounding-1-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

For your spindle Shielded wire clamp, you can just use a 360 degree clamp attached to the Ground plane once you do your final install, keep the insolation ( outer jacket ) on as much of the Spindle Cable as possible and only expose as much wire as needed to make the connection
    Thanks for that info!

ok, so you mean the filter GND terminal on the RIGHT hand side connect to the VFD Ground.
    now, i took a multimeter and checked the two screws on the plastic body that has GND symbol on it... seems they're not connected to any ground and it's there to serve as a grounding point? so to run Filter GND to VFD GND, connect to the "E" terminal on VFD, correct?

I was planning to use Cable Glands but even if i get something like this,
    https://www.mcmaster.com/7802k24

i will have about 3" of exposed & unshielded wires inside the case from gland to VFD.

for the clamp method...
    i found this at Allied...
    https://www.alliedelec.com/product/k...8102/70183208/

applicable for my use to slide insulation off 1/2" and attach Spindle to Grounded Case using the above works?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for that info!

ok, so you mean the filter GND terminal on the RIGHT hand side connect to the VFD Ground.
    now, i took a multimeter and checked the two screws on the plastic body that has GND symbol on it... seems they're not connected to any ground and it's there to serve as a grounding point? so to run Filter GND to VFD GND, connect to the "E" terminal on VFD, correct?

I was planning to use Cable Glands but even if i get something like this,
    https://www.mcmaster.com/7802k24

i will have about 3" of exposed & unshielded wires inside the case from gland to VFD.

for the clamp method...
    i found this at Allied...
    https://www.alliedelec.com/product/k...8102/70183208/

applicable for my use to slide insulation off 1/2" and attach Spindle to Grounded Case using the above works?
    Cable Glands are good and it seems the one you have selected is EMI compliant

Yes that type of clamp works well as long as you can get the right size to clamp the cable Shield you are using

Diagram of your filter Grounding this is important

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach-tdk-wiring-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, placed order for the clamping style from Digikey.

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...8102-ND/303956

and updated wiring diagram to make connection from FILTER GND to VFD GND

the clamp is will be attached to grounding plane (Case)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast