Help whats wrong with my spindle?


Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Help whats wrong with my spindle?

  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Help whats wrong with my spindle?

    Turn your volume down.!!!



    CAMaster cnc
    It was working fine. then it just started making bad noises.
    why does the cap spin?

    Its an HSD mt1090 spindle
    Whats a good drop in replacement? if i can't get a new one.


    Thanks



  2. #2
    Member Sterob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    447
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Help whats wrong with my spindle?

    My guess is that you have a bad bearing in your spindle. The cap spins due to resonance.



  3. #3
    Member ericks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    101
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Help whats wrong with my spindle?

    Don't run it with a noisy/worn bearing, you could cause more damage Looks like a nice motor worth repairs



  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10434
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Help whats wrong with my spindle?

    Quote Originally Posted by marauder View Post
    Turn your volume down.!!!



    CAMaster cnc
    It was working fine. then it just started making bad noises.
    why does the cap spin?

    Its an HSD mt1090 spindle
    Whats a good drop in replacement? if i can't get a new one.


    Thanks
    Did you crash it ???

    It does sound like a Bearing problem HSD mt1090 is an expensive spindle to replace, take the tool and collet nut off and do another test run, this will eliminate the Tool Collet and Nut as being a balance problem

    Bearings are not hard to replace, but you do need the right tools to do this, Balance is important with any of these high speed spindles, so no rotating parts can be damaged

    Remove the top cover and see if the fan is loose or filled with junk, this can cause a out of balance also and a noise like this

    Mactec54


  5. #5
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    No I haven't crashed it (lately). I stopped running it as soon as I noticed it making weird sounds. My machine manufacturer told me to make a quick video of it, So they could diagnose the problem. Sorry boss, time to spend some $$$. Maybe ill try to repair it for the home shop. err I mean on the shelf backup at work.



  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10434
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Help whats wrong with my spindle?

    Quote Originally Posted by marauder View Post
    No I haven't crashed it (lately). I stopped running it as soon as I noticed it making weird sounds. My machine manufacturer told me to make a quick video of it, So they could diagnose the problem. Sorry boss, time to spend some $$$. Maybe ill try to repair it for the home shop. err I mean on the shelf backup at work.
    Meaning that it has been crashed in the past, sometimes it takes a while before the results of a crash show up, any crash will cause some Bearing damage and over time they will get worse, how old is the spindle and how much work has it done they don't have a long life when used everyday

    Mactec54


  7. #7
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    The machine has never actually been crashed that I know of. Only a few bumps and tripped servos ect. The machine was new in 2016. Its in a production shop. Used several hrs daily, sometimes 2 shifts. The spindle spent most of its life with a 1/2" endmill sticking out of it 4.5" We cut parts out of 4" hdpe plastic sheet stock. Thats a lot of force/ pressure on the bearings with the bit sticking out so far. I'll look tomorrow to see if our software (WINCNC) has the total hrs on the machine. I've ordered a new one And took the old one to have the bearings replaced. I was in a rush to get the machine back up running. Now i wish i had upgraded to a atc spindle. So i could press a button and manually change the bits. I had the boss mans credit card with his ok to spend as much as it takes. And i messed up and didnt get an atc spindle.



  8. #8
    Member ericks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    101
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Help whats wrong with my spindle?

    Quote Originally Posted by marauder View Post
    The machine has never actually been crashed that I know of. Only a few bumps and tripped servos ect. The machine was new in 2016. Its in a production shop. Used several hrs daily, sometimes 2 shifts. The spindle spent most of its life with a 1/2" endmill sticking out of it 4.5" We cut parts out of 4" hdpe plastic sheet stock. Thats a lot of force/ pressure on the bearings with the bit sticking out so far. I'll look tomorrow to see if our software (WINCNC) has the total hrs on the machine. I've ordered a new one And took the old one to have the bearings replaced. I was in a rush to get the machine back up running. Now i wish i had upgraded to a atc spindle. So i could press a button and manually change the bits. I had the boss mans credit card with his ok to spend as much as it takes. And i messed up and didnt get an atc spindle.
    Things wear out it's normal



  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10434
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Help whats wrong with my spindle?

    Quote Originally Posted by marauder View Post
    The machine has never actually been crashed that I know of. Only a few bumps and tripped servos ect. The machine was new in 2016. Its in a production shop. Used several hrs daily, sometimes 2 shifts. The spindle spent most of its life with a 1/2" endmill sticking out of it 4.5" We cut parts out of 4" hdpe plastic sheet stock. Thats a lot of force/ pressure on the bearings with the bit sticking out so far. I'll look tomorrow to see if our software (WINCNC) has the total hrs on the machine. I've ordered a new one And took the old one to have the bearings replaced. I was in a rush to get the machine back up running. Now i wish i had upgraded to a atc spindle. So i could press a button and manually change the bits. I had the boss mans credit card with his ok to spend as much as it takes. And i messed up and didnt get an atc spindle.
    If you where able to stall the servo's than that is considered a high load on the Bearings and is hard on the motor windings, it happens not quite as bad as a crash when they break the tool off at the collet, I would say with 3year of use, it has done Ok, High Speed spindles like this have a short Bearing life, when used like this

    Mactec54


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

Help whats wrong with my spindle?

Help whats wrong with my spindle?

Help whats wrong with my spindle?