Need Help! Is my VFD shot?

Thread: Is my VFD shot?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Is my VFD shot?

I thought I was having spindle issues, so I tested with a known good (new) spindle to make sure. Had the same problem. When I press "RUN" on the VFD, I can can "control" the frequency/speed with the pot on the VFD, and the display reflects correct values (Min 150Hz/9k RPM, up to Max 400Hz/24K RPM). I can hear the spindle trying to spin up, but I get no shaft rotation.

My first thought was a wiring issue like I was losing a phase or had the leads reversed or a recessed pin, so I swapped cables. Same result. (Using IGUS Chainflex 16/4).

Next, I checked the output voltage on the VFD.
    U-W = 105V
    U-V = 105V
    V-W = 59V

I'm pretty sure I know what the answer is, but has anyone had any luck fixing one of these things?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Is my VFD shot?

Quote Originally Posted by twbaisch View Post
    I thought I was having spindle issues, so I tested with a known good (new) spindle to make sure. Had the same problem. When I press "RUN" on the VFD, I can can "control" the frequency/speed with the pot on the VFD, and the display reflects correct values (Min 150Hz/9k RPM, up to Max 400Hz/24K RPM). I can hear the spindle trying to spin up, but I get no shaft rotation.

My first thought was a wiring issue like I was losing a phase or had the leads reversed or a recessed pin, so I swapped cables. Same result. (Using IGUS Chainflex 16/4).

Next, I checked the output voltage on the VFD.
    U-W = 105V
    U-V = 105V
    V-W = 59V

I'm pretty sure I know what the answer is, but has anyone had any luck fixing one of these things?
    What kind of meter are you trying to measure the VFD output with, most regular meters can not be used to read the VFD Drive output

You can damage the IGBTs by measuring with a meter that is not suitable, you are not measuring a normal AC power output

It sounded like it was a wiring problem to start with and now has damaged one of the IGBTs or Zener diodes

Yes they can be repair if they have not burnt up the main board

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I didn't have access to an MDA, so I used a Simpson 260. I figured it was a risk, but since it already wasn't working I thought I'd give it a shot and see.

I'd already swapped with the known-good cable and spindle and got the same results.
    My first test was with the original setup.
    Second test was known-good cable, old (installed) spindle.
    Third test was original (installed) cable, known-good (new) spindle.
    Fourth test was good cable, good spindle.

In each instance, I could get the shaft to rotate, but only when I hand-started it. That's what got me thinking it might be a lost phase or some such.

At that point I disconnected everything and tried to see what the output of the VFD looked like.

I'm looking at other options for a VFD. I think these Huanyangs are a case of you get what you pay for, and I don't think this one is worth repairing. Recommendations?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by twbaisch View Post
    I didn't have access to an MDA, so I used a Simpson 260. I figured it was a risk, but since it already wasn't working I thought I'd give it a shot and see.

I'd already swapped with the known-good cable and spindle and got the same results.
    My first test was with the original setup.
    Second test was known-good cable, old (installed) spindle.
    Third test was original (installed) cable, known-good (new) spindle.
    Fourth test was good cable, good spindle.

In each instance, I could get the shaft to rotate, but only when I hand-started it. That's what got me thinking it might be a lost phase or some such.

At that point I disconnected everything and tried to see what the output of the VFD looked like.

I'm looking at other options for a VFD. I think these Huanyangs are a case of you get what you pay for, and I don't think this one is worth repairing. Recommendations?
    A lost phase is normally caused by a wiring problem, so something damaged it when you first fired it up, the Drive may have been faulty from the start also, have you contacted the seller as sometimes they will send you another replacement drive

VFD Drives Delta GS2 AC Hitachi Yaskawa there are may to choose from, the Programing has to be correct for these Spindles or these kind of problems can happen also

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Got it working. Replaced one transistor. I’m still going to replace the drive sooner rather than later. The build quality is just really poor. I knew going in I wasn’t getting a great piece of equipment, but this thing is really sketchy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You can damage the IGBTs by measuring with a meter that is not suitable, you are not measuring a normal AC power output
    Can you explain this? I measured hundreds of VFD-s with different meters and saw many people using the cheapest possible DMMs doing so, still never saw the VFD dying because of the meter.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zlotvor View Post
    Can you explain this? I measured hundreds of VFD-s with different meters and saw many people using the cheapest possible DMMs doing so, still never saw the VFD dying because of the meter.
    Its very simple unless you Dmm has a low bypass filter your are not going to get any type of reliable reading so in you saying you have used any type of meter to test a VFD output is just plan Bs

As for damage to a IGBT this I have seen only on the cheaper drives that are just using a 6 Transistor array instead of a normal power module Power Modules I have not seen damaged by using an unsuitable meter, the difference in VFD drive Builds can't be compared

IGBT Transistors I have replace are in snip below

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is my VFD shot?-igbt-power-module-png   Is my VFD shot?-igbt-transistor-png  
    Mactec54