VFD or Spindle problems - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VFD or Spindle problems

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VFD or Spindle problems

Quote Originally Posted by tarawa View Post
    I didnt think it mattered when not using a computer to operate it.
    Yes it did matter because that type of cable the wires will fracture with the up down of the Z Axes and would not take very long for this to happen, must be quality stranded wire with a high flex rating, it also would be a electrical code violation wire like that, it also matters enough to save your VFD Drive and Spindle as this could damage the VFD Drive if it has not already

You also need a EMI Power Filter on the input power side this goes before the VFD Drive 20A should work for you

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Who makes a good one?? Tripp Lite?

Downloads
    Uploads

I found a piece of cable that I purchased when I bought the VFD/spindle. I thought that it was a bit heavy and stiff so I never used it. Luckily I found it. It is a 10’ piece of Beldon VFD cable. I will be changing it out this week.

Downloads
    Uploads

Who makes a good one?? Tripp Lite?
    I don't know where you are located and to what you have available in your area but I did stat in the post above the cable specs you need

The supplier is IGUS there are other manufactures also that have good cable but must have a high flex rating for any moving axes

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I found a piece of cable that I purchased when I bought the VFD/spindle. I thought that it was a bit heavy and stiff so I never used it. Luckily I found it. It is a 10’ piece of Beldon VFD cable. I will be changing it out this week.
    Beldon make a good cable, if you have the right cable to suit your spindle plug this is the important part, some of the cables there diameter is to large to fit in these spindle plugs

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Cable diameter and weight was my first concern when I was first building my machine. . The beldon cable is fairly thick even at 16awg. What is the diameter of the Ingus cable?

Downloads
    Uploads

Cable diameter and weight was my first concern when I was first building my machine. . The beldon cable is fairly thick even at 16awg. What is the diameter of the Ingus cable?
    10mm or .390" diameter

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

While you are waiting for your cable here are some Parameters for you to try

Huanyang Mactec54

Spindle 1.5kW 220V 400Hz Air Cooled

PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control) ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control ) ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Terminal Control )

PD002=0

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD006=76

PD007=20

PD008=220 (Motor Rated Voltage)

PD009=33

PD010=11

PD011=120 ( Watch for over heating at this Temperature with this Parameter it may need to be increased if your Spindle is over heating at this Speed Air Cooled Spindles Only )

PD13= 08 ( is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings )

PD014=8 ( Acceleration Adjust to suit)

PD015=8 ( Deceleration Adjust to suit)

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage )

PD041=6 ( Carrier Frequency max up to 10 )

PD142=7 ( Motor Max Amps for 1.5Kw Spindle)

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) =3,000= (24,000)

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v )

PD72=400

PD73=120 ( Set to match PD011 )

PD120=120

PD174= (Set to Max VFD Drives Output Amp Rating )

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

You size the wire or cable size for the motor amps, not for if it fits in the connector! All you need to do is set a dust tight Junction box on the moving part of the Z carriage, run your proper size flex shielded cable to it, ground the ground wire to the metal Z frame and run a ground wire to the spindle motor bracket or motor its self. Then run a approved flex conduit to the connector for the spindle with the 3 wires for power inside to the motor.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    You size the wire or cable size for the motor amps, not for if it fits in the connector! All you need to do is set a dust tight Junction box on the moving part of the Z carriage, run your proper size flex shielded cable to it, ground the ground wire to the metal Z frame and run a ground wire to the spindle motor bracket or motor its self. Then run a approved flex conduit to the connector for the spindle with the 3 wires for power inside to the motor.
    Yes that is how it is done "really"

20A rated cable is more than enough for his 1.5Kw 220v spindle, and this fits the plug for the spindle, if you really want to help someone get with the program

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Yes that is how it is done "really"

20A rated cable is more than enough for his 1.5Kw 220v spindle, and this fits the plug for the spindle, if you really want to help someone get with the program
    I am glad you agree.

Downloads
    Uploads

Once I get everything back together correctly and working, Is there a maximum size router bit that I should be using with a 1.5kw spindle?

Downloads
    Uploads

Once I get everything back together correctly and working, Is there a maximum size router bit that I should be using with a 1.5kw spindle?
    I find myself using 1/4 inch shank, V bits from 1/4 to 1/2 inch diameter, 60 to 90 degree and 2 flute both flat and round nose milling bits. Or 1/2 inch shank of the same. I also have a few 3/8 inch diameter milling bits. Buy good collets, the cheap ones work are not accurate, and are difficult to work with. Ask me how I know!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

I bought a decent set of collets online. Been using a 1/4” end mill. Seems to cut nicer than a ball end mill which really surprised me. I may try an 1/8” ball end mill. Since my machine is manual and not CNC, I have to make a matching stylus to trace an original pattern.

Downloads
    Uploads

I bought a decent set of collets online. Been using a 1/4” end mill. Seems to cut nicer than a ball end mill which really surprised me. I may try an 1/8” ball end mill. Since my machine is manual and not CNC, I have to make a matching stylus to trace an original pattern.
    I have some that are tiny, smaller than 1/8 inch I have not tried yet. When I get brave I may try. I order a lot from Amazon and some other online venders as there is zero local stock.

Downloads
    Uploads

Get Techniks collets. While you're at it, get a Techniks collet nut. Techniks are pretty much the best available. I've never the collets sold in sets, however.

You didn't mention the brand of your "set of collets." If they are the typical Chinese set, they are probably so-so at best.

I bought 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2 in collets, which covers everything I do.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine are a chinese set. Since my machine isn’t meant to be precision, They work ok. This is something I always wanted to build . All hobby stuff, no production. Video in action....when it worked!

Downloads
    Uploads

I found like Gary GME says the brand he mentions, and I had forgotten the name are far better. The cheap Chinese set I purchased it was difficult to get bits in and out of and yes they were US or Imperial not Metric.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    I found like Gary GME says the brand he mentions, and I had forgotten the name are far better. The cheap Chinese set I purchased it was difficult to get bits in and out of and yes they were US or Imperial not Metric.
    so far the collets fit fine. Of course if I don't get this thing running right again it wont matter. SAE sizes are great for me.

I also have two new VFDS and replacement motor on stand by. I tried all the wiring and programming suggestions hear and it still over load faults. My neighbor an electrician says to call power company as my voltages still seem high

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast