Need Help! BLDC Motor needs a new Controller

Thread: BLDC Motor needs a new Controller

Downloads
    Uploads

Default BLDC Motor needs a new Controller

All, I need some help to find a motor controller. The motor I have seems to be relatively common in that it is used on some SX4 clones and RF45 mills and is on my PM1228 lathe. I have been unable to identify a controller that matches the specifications of the motor. I have found one from Anaheim Automation here: https://www.anaheimautomation.com/pr...tID=999&cID=23 But I am not sure this will be correct.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

What I am trying to do is convert the lathe to CNC and the original controller is not easily connected.

The Brushless motor is a No-Name brand with the following specs:
    Speed: 3500 RPM

Power: 1500W

Voltage: 230VDC

Current: 10A

Insulation Class: F

Enclosure: IP44

Here is a website that advertises it. https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catal...rushless-Motor

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: BLDC Motor needs a new Controller

well, that one is 170vdc, so if that motor is 230, its a non starter.

Downloads
    Uploads

I know. I would not be able to get full power. So, do you know of one that is 230VDC?

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is the original controller that is driving that motor. https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catal...Board-Complete

I have looked everywhere and can not find a BLDC controller that puts out 230VDC with 120VAC input. The more research I do, I am thinking that even the original controller doesn't have a 230VDC output. Bumping up the voltage that much would require a good size transformer and some big capacitors that are simply not on that board.

Maybe I will hook a scope up to it to see what the phase signals look like, but for now I am betting that they have simply de-rated the motor with a smaller controller.

Downloads
    Uploads

From my experience you need to be more concerned with the amperage for the bldc motor. That way you will maintain the current torque. Less volts equals less speed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Following up:

I purchased the controller from Anaheim Automation and wired it in. I really like it except for the RPM that I lost. The controller looks very clean and works well.

HOWEVER, 2 months later:
    I ran across a board from Little Machine Shops that should do exactly what I wanted to do in the first place. https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...ProductID=4645
    This connects to the existing BLDC controller and provides a START/STOP, FWD/REV and 0-10V Speed signals. Darn it.

So, I ordered the interface card and am going to see how it works. Maybe I can get back the RPM I lost.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi

1500W BLDC Brushless DC Motor Driver

just ordered this one to try on an SX3

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...SLatL583c056gM

Downloads
    Uploads

It is possible that the China controller uses a DC-DC converter to develop bus voltage that operates at higher frequency which would not require large transformers or capacitors. Did you measure the DC voltage bus on the board?

What max RPM is the motor operating at normally? That would tell us the voltage they are using as well.

As was mentioned, the current is the important part, current makes torque, voltage makes RPM. BLDC controllers can be fairly simple or very sophisticated. The sophisticated ones can develop RPM higher than the rated speed or available voltage, and at low speed can maintain full torque down to zero RPM. But that is not likely in the original controller.

Are you getting the performance that you need, now that you have solved the control issues? Perhaps there is no need to pursue this.

Downloads
    Uploads

Over two years later, Hopefully the OP has resolved it !!?? :

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just interacted with the OP on another thread.

At 10A and 170VDC that would be 1700W which is slightly over 2HP. The lathe is rated at 2HP. So it doesn't need higher voltage to meet the rated power.

I am considering this lathe, so may have some interest in this at some point.

Downloads
    Uploads

I was never able to resolve the issue, except that putting the original controller back in got the RPM that I needed. I did contact Matt at Precision Mathew’s and he did not have any recommendations for a controller or an AC motor. So, at the moment I am just dealing with it. The lathe does a good job at most operations but does not do a good job at low RPM, ie threading. I have tweaked the PID settings on MACH4 but never got what you might consider great results.

Downloads
    Uploads

I need to replace a bad drive on my PM-25MV but Precision Matthews is out of stock on the drive and is weeks away from getting a replacement. They won't say what the motor voltage is so I'm screwed by them unless I can determine the stock motor voltage. Does anybody know a suitable drive replacement?