Build Thread Setting up Spindle and VFD

Thread: Setting up Spindle and VFD

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Setting up Spindle and VFD

I'm hoping to avoid drastic costs and steps so here's what I've got.
    I"m a hobbyist woodworker who makes some money on the side doing woodworking jobs. I own a Sharc HD4 and want to upgrade to a water cooled spindle to give my neighbors a break from the noise. I am competent and confident when it comes to following directions in reference to electrical issues but I have no desire to get into the weeds about knowing all of the ins and outs of circuitry or the minutia of volts/amps/watts/bla...bla...
    I am unwilling to accept that my only option to upgrade my CNC is to pay the extreme markup on a batch of parts chineese parts that Nextwave Automation has put together and set up as a kit.
    I purchased this from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I haven't began any soldering or assembly so I could return this if someone has a better suggestion.
    (I want the ability to have 1/2" shank bits. The next wave setup only has 1/4")
    I have 220 in my shop but it is way more convenient to run 110 with my setup.
    I have searched online for setup answers but these forums tend to get into the weeds of technicality pretty quickly.(Prob because most of you are experienced CNC/electrical people.)
    I refuse to believe that I shouldn't attempt this on my own.
    Here's my newbie questions:
    -Should I just get a cord with a ground plug and wire it to the VFD?
    -The "kit" I bought supplied a short length of 3strand wire for wiring the spindle to the VFD. I plan on getting my own wire because I need a longer length. Should I use 4 wire and wire to the ground plug and ensure the ground plug is actually wired inside of the spindle?
    -What VFD settings should I use for VFD model HY02D211B with my spindle 2.2KW 110V 8.5A 400HZ?

I considered buying the kit from NextWave Automation, buying matching parts, copying their settings and then returning the kit to NextWave but that seems a little unnecessary and like I mentioned before I want 1/2" collet and I'm not sure the settings on the VFD would be the same anyway.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by mrmcfish; 03-24-2019 at 01:23 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Setting up Spindle and VFD

I don't think the VFD will run too well on 110v; they were designed for 220. You can use your own wire, but make sure to put a braided shield over the cable between the spindle and VFD, grounded on the VFD end. For the settings, look for the long thread titled "HuanYang settings and manual here",

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mrmcfish View Post
    I'm hoping to avoid drastic costs and steps so here's what I've got.
    I"m a hobbyist woodworker who makes some money on the side doing woodworking jobs. I own a Sharc HD4 and want to upgrade to a water cooled spindle to give my neighbors a break from the noise. I am competent and confident when it comes to following directions in reference to electrical issues but I have no desire to get into the weeds about knowing all of the ins and outs of circuitry or the minutia of volts/amps/watts/bla...bla...
    I am unwilling to accept that my only option to upgrade my CNC is to pay the extreme markup on a batch of parts chineese parts that Nextwave Automation has put together and set up as a kit.
    I purchased this from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I haven't began any soldering or assembly so I could return this if someone has a better suggestion.
    (I want the ability to have 1/2" shank bits. The next wave setup only has 1/4")
    I have 220 in my shop but it is way more convenient to run 110 with my setup.
    I have searched online for setup answers but these forums tend to get into the weeds of technicality pretty quickly.(Prob because most of you are experienced CNC/electrical people.)
    I refuse to believe that I shouldn't attempt this on my own.
    Here's my newbie questions:
    -Should I just get a cord with a ground plug and wire it to the VFD?
    -The "kit" I bought supplied a short length of 3strand wire for wiring the spindle to the VFD. I plan on getting my own wire because I need a longer length. Should I use 4 wire and wire to the ground plug and ensure the ground plug is actually wired inside of the spindle?
    -What VFD settings should I use for VFD model HY02D211B with my spindle 2.2KW 110V 8.5A 400HZ?

I considered buying the kit from NextWave Automation, buying matching parts, copying their settings and then returning the kit to NextWave but that seems a little unnecessary and like I mentioned before I want 1/2" collet and I'm not sure the settings on the VFD would be the same anyway.
    You really made a bad choice with your spindle 2.2Kw is to much for a 110v/120v circuit plus there is no such thing as a 3phase 110v only for those that get tricked into buying such a spindle

1.5Kw is the limit for a 120v supply and then it needs to be a 25A circuit, are you located in the USA

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes,
    Like I said. I don't know a lot about specs so I purchased a kit based on my needs (110v)and reviews on amazon. Nextwave automation sells a kit (110V VFD) that I am trying to get as close as possible to copying and have 1/2" collett. Not sure the advantage a company would have selling a packaged kit with incompatible items but I guess its not out of the realm of a business to just go for volume and move units. I took the nuclear option and purchased a Nextwave kit locally and copied the VFD settings and wiring setup. Going to return it once I'm up and running. My confidence was low I would actually get an answer here.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes,
    Like I said. I don't know a lot about specs so I purchased a kit based on my needs (110v)and reviews on amazon. Nextwave automation sells a kit (110V VFD) that I am trying to get as close as possible to copying and have 1/2" collett. Not sure the advantage a company would have selling a packaged kit with incompatible items but I guess its not out of the realm of a business to just go for volume and move units. I took the nuclear option and purchased a Nextwave kit locally and copied the VFD settings and wiring setup. Going to return it once I'm up and running. My confidence was low I would actually get an answer here.
    I have all the settings for anything any one would need, but your combination is not going to work very well, do you have a link to what Nextwave is selling, having a 1/2" collet does not mean you will be able to use it with at 110v spindle

They may be selling a 120v VFD that has 220v output and spindle to match, I need to have a link to what you are looking at, if they are selling the 2.2Kw 110v spindles then they should not be as they are junk

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

The nextwave spindle is 1.5kw. : https://www.nextwaveautomation.com/s...KIT-p114869872 . I've found pretty much the exact match on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Spindle-Kits%...gateway&sr=8-3 but I purchased this one:https://www.amazon.com/MYSWEETY-Cool...eway&sr=8-3not knowing that apparently the 2.2kw is "junk"? I could run a 220V setup but I would have to run about 15ft of extension cord. I was just trying to match that they were offering for their CNC machine and I saw a slightly "better" spindle in the fact that the 2.2kw spindle offered a ER20 collett. I guess I could return the 2.2KW spindle setup for the 1.5KW setup. To be honest I've owned his CNC for a couple years now and haven't needed a 1/2"collett. I was just trying to plan for longevity. Not totally opposed to 220V setup, Just nervous. I believe I "could" kill myself with 110v but I KNOW I could with 220V.

Downloads
    Uploads

The nextwave spindle is 1.5kw. : https://www.nextwaveautomation.com/s...KIT-p114869872 . I've found pretty much the exact match on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Spindle-Kits%...gateway&sr=8-3 but I purchased this one:https://www.amazon.com/MYSWEETY-Cool...eway&sr=8-3not knowing that apparently the 2.2kw is "junk"? I could run a 220V setup but I would have to run about 15ft of extension cord. I was just trying to match that they were offering for their CNC machine and I saw a slightly "better" spindle in the fact that the 2.2kw spindle offered a ER20 collett. I guess I could return the 2.2KW spindle setup for the 1.5KW setup. To be honest I've owned his CNC for a couple years now and haven't needed a 1/2"collett. I was just trying to plan for longevity. Not totally opposed to 220V setup, Just nervous. I believe I "could" kill myself with 110v but I KNOW I could with 220V.
    For a starter your supply is 120v / 240v both can do the same job at being just as dangerous

The 1.5Kw will work better with a 120v supply you need at least a 25A circuit though, if you used 2.2Kw it will be about what you would get out of a 800w spindle so not very good, if you are not sure you use an electrician

I checked there site, the spindle they show on the machine is water cooled 1.5Kw and there Amp rating is incorrect,

The spindle they have in the write up is air cooled so don't go by what they are saying

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads
    Last edited by mrmcfish; 03-26-2019 at 04:18 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes it is the same type not the same manufacture but this HY manufacture is Ok

What you should of been looking for is a 110v / 120v VFD that has 220v output then you can use the correct spindle type 220v 3Ph, 110v 3ph spindles are made up thing the Chinese have done to make a sale in the US to the unsuspecting buyers

There is no such thing in the USA as 110v 3ph power

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Yes it is the same type not the same manufacture but this HY manufacture is Ok

What you should of been looking for is a 110v / 120v VFD that has 220v output then you can use the correct spindle type 220v 3Ph, 110v 3ph spindles are made up thing the Chinese have done to make a sale in the US to the unsuspecting buyers

There is no such thing in the USA as 110v 3ph power
    Thanks for the info. I just want a water cooled spindle setup that I can plug into a normal socket like the one Nextwave is advertising. Just don,t want to pay their 800$ price tag for "setup" of the same parts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info. I just want a water cooled spindle setup that I can plug into a normal socket like the one Nextwave is advertising. Just don,t want to pay their 800$ price tag for "setup" of the same parts.
    I understand what you want but don't expect it to have very good performance

Once you go with a VFD of any kind you are dealing with industrial wiring requirements, this is not the normal residential stuff

Don't believe what they are saying ,your 15A standard circuit as they say, is not going to work very well even with the 1.5Kw spindle, the electrical code would not allow this 1.5Kw to be run on a 15A circuit with a VFD Drive

The VFD 110v 1.5Kw has a output of 13A the input will be double that requirement so 25A circuit is the minimum requirement, it most likely will never use this much but this is the electrical requirments

From the advertised spindle ? Voltage and rated current: AC 110V, 5A 1.5Kw is not 5A it is 12.5A=1.5Kw for the spindle

VFD is correct with an Output Current: 13A @ 110v this is where your input power supply needs to double that of the output current of the VFD Drive

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I understand what you want but don't expect it to have very good performance

Once you go with a VFD of any kind you are dealing with industrial wiring requirements, this is not the normal residential stuff

Don't believe what they are saying ,your 15A standard circuit as they say, is not going to work very well even with the 1.5Kw spindle, the electrical code would not allow this 1.5Kw to be run on a 15A circuit with a VFD Drive

The VFD 110v 1.5Kw has a output of 13A the input will be double that requirement so 25A circuit is the minimum requirement, it most likely will never use this much but this is the electrical requirments

From the advertised spindle ? Voltage and rated current: AC 110V, 5A 1.5Kw is not 5A it is 12.5A=1.5Kw for the spindle

VFD is correct with an Output Current: 13A @ 110v this is where your input power supply needs to double that of the output current of the VFD Drive

I have a 25A circut. And I'm not looking to go into production or anything. I'm willing to accept shallower passes and slower feed rates for quieter performance. So It seems the right move for now. Thanks for the info. Maybe someday I will get an actual recommendation on parts I could go with and nut up and build a more robust system.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a 25A circut. And I'm not looking to go into production or anything. I'm willing to accept shallower passes and slower feed rates for quieter performance. So It seems the right move for now. Thanks for the info. Maybe someday I will get an actual recommendation on parts I could go with and nut up and build a more robust system.
    So you will be fine then with the 110/120v VFD and 1.5Kw Spindle, it just that most try to run the spindle with a 15A circuit and have breaker tripping problems

Mactec54