"Low voltage on bus" error - spindle or VFD problem?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Low voltage on bus" error - spindle or VFD problem?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default "Low voltage on bus" error - spindle or VFD problem?

So my 3-phase Komo spindle was powering through a heavy cut when I heard it falter and then stop. Attempting to restart it failed - it fires up for a second and then quits with this "low voltage on bus" error. Evidently something died; but was it the spindle or the VFD? Without having a spare of either one, how can I tell? Or is there some simple fix? Could this be caused by voltage fluctuations in the supplied power? I tried Googling for solutions, but nothing I read said much more than the obvious ("this is caused by a low voltage condition...")

Similar Threads:
    [FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: "Low voltage on bus" error - spindle or VFD problem?

I have a similar problem and dont know how to proceed. I have a Fuling Inverter DZB280 and 5.5kw spindle. It turns on for a second, doesnt really turn, just makes a quiet high pitched noise and then it turns off with Error E001 - low bus voltage fault.

What to do?

Downloads
    Uploads

Did anyone check the input power to the machine/VFD?

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    So my 3-phase Komo spindle was powering through a heavy cut when I heard it falter and then stop. Attempting to restart it failed - it fires up for a second and then quits with this "low voltage on bus" error. Evidently something died; but was it the spindle or the VFD? Without having a spare of either one, how can I tell? Or is there some simple fix? Could this be caused by voltage fluctuations in the supplied power? I tried Googling for solutions, but nothing I read said much more than the obvious ("this is caused by a low voltage condition...")
    You have some damage in the VFD Drive, what VFD Drive are you using and what was your VFD specs and spindle specs

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ijon View Post
    I have a similar problem and dont know how to proceed. I have a Fuling Inverter DZB280 and 5.5kw spindle. It turns on for a second, doesnt really turn, just makes a quiet high pitched noise and then it turns off with Error E001 - low bus voltage fault.

What to do?
    If you VFD Parameters where not set correct you can damage the VFD Drive, have you been running you spindle or was this a new startup

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If you VFD Parameters where not set correct you can damage the VFD Drive, have you been running you spindle or was this a new startup
    This was new, I did not switch on spindle before. I bought it all from china, one 1325 from jinan magic cnc, with mach3 control. The manufacturer said that he run the machine to test it, I havent changed the configuration of the VFD.

Today I tried to configure the VFD so that I can control it not via Mach3, but with its own buttons. I did that and tried to run it, but now I get E013. When I try to run the spindle with mach3, I get E001, when I try it with the VFD itself without any external control, then I get E013

What else can I try?

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I should elaborate on the problem and provide some more Informations.

I have attached the manual that I have been referring to.

when I check the Bus Voltage without going in any menus, then I read 584Volts. (a big U on the display, behind that the number)

When I calculate the bus voltage I would expect 565V. I calculated by using the 400V input, multiplied by the square root of 2. So I have clearly more bus-voltage then I would expect, not less, but still in a reasonable range. The 584 were recorded when the spindle was off, but connected.

I checked what is stored in F3.16, it reads 347V, so a lot less then I would expect and actually a reason to throw an error.

Then I changed the settings of F0.01 and F0.03, so I can control the spindle with the keyboard of the VFD. After I did that, I set the spindle to a low Frequency, 25 and switched it on. It started to make a whining noise, as I would expect, and then switched off with Fault E013.

I did check the settings of F1.01 to F1.05 and they were all correct, except for F1.05, which was configured by the manufacturer to 13A, while the spindle only said 8A, so I changed that to just 8A.

I did not change any other settings of the VFD.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Low voltage on bus" error - spindle or VFD problem?-dzb200_series-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I should elaborate on the problem and provide some more Informations.

I have attached the manual that I have been referring to.

when I check the Bus Voltage without going in any menus, then I read 584Volts. (a big U on the display, behind that the number)

When I calculate the bus voltage I would expect 565V. I calculated by using the 400V input, multiplied by the square root of 2. So I have clearly more bus-voltage then I would expect, not less, but still in a reasonable range. The 584 were recorded when the spindle was off, but connected.

I checked what is stored in F3.16, it reads 347V, so a lot less then I would expect and actually a reason to throw an error.

Then I changed the settings of F0.01 and F0.03, so I can control the spindle with the keyboard of the VFD. After I did that, I set the spindle to a low Frequency, 25 and switched it on. It started to make a whining noise, as I would expect, and then switched off with Fault E013.

I did check the settings of F1.01 to F1.05 and they were all correct, except for F1.05, which was configured by the manufacturer to 13A, while the spindle only said 8A, so I changed that to just 8A.

I did not change any other settings of the VFD.
    What is the spec's of the spindle and I will give you the correct Parameters to set

A wrong Parameter can damage your spindle or VFD Drive 25 would be bad and not something you want to do to find your bus voltage it is input voltage x 1.414 I think you got the same answer

Motor spec's
    Hz=
    Kw=
    Voltage=
    Amps=
    RPM=
    Number Poles=

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hz=400
    Kw=4.5
    Voltage=400
    Amps=8
    RPM=24000
    Number Poles=?

it says "gdz 125-4.5" on the spindle, which is supposedly the name of the product. Right now I dont have a picture at hand of the spindle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hz=400
    Kw=4.5
    Voltage=400
    Amps=8
    RPM=24000
    Number Poles=?

it says "gdz 125-4.5" on the spindle, which is supposedly the name of the product. Right now I dont have a picture at hand of the spindle.
    Most of these machines are not run and tested, so Parameters won't be all set correct

Fuling VFD
    380v / 400V 400Hz 8A

F0.00=1 ( V/F Control Vector Control=0 )

F0.01=0 ( 0 For KeyPad )

F0.03=0 ( KeyPad )

F0.04=400

F0.05=400

F0.06=100

F0.07=400

F0.08=8 ( Acceleration Adjustable )

F0.09=8 (Deceleration Adjustable )

F0.11=8 ( Carrier Frequency 10 Max )

F015=10 ( Start Frequency )

F0.16=5

F1.01= 4.5 ( Motor Kw )

F1.02=400 ( Motor Frequency )

F1.03=24000 ( Motor Max RPM )

F1.04=400 ( Motor Voltage )

F1.05=8 ( Motor Amps )

F1.19=110%

F5.06=110%

After all Parameters are set Correct you can Auto Tune

F1.11=0 ( Press Start and it will Auto Tune )( After Auto Tune is complete Press ReSet on KeyPad ) Then if all is well your spindle should be running from the KeyPad

For Remote reset the Parameters for Remote control

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

You have some damage in the VFD Drive, what VFD Drive are you using and what was your VFD specs and spindle specs
    Thanks, Mac! It's good to know that it's the VFD and not the spindle itself. This is a system that's been working okay for years, so it's not a setup problem. I got this system used and the VFD is an antique, so I'll look for another one that's compatible with my spindle. I'll see if I can get it to display its parameters so I can input them in the new one, but I can't find a manual for this thing, so I'm flying blind...

Downloads
    Uploads

1. Spindle is hot, bearing is damaged or not clean, bearing grease is exhausted or excessive, bearing clearance is too small;

2. The belt driven by the spindle powerful motor and the spindle is too loose, the cutting stops, the belt surface is oily and the clutch is loose;

3. Lubricating oil leakage, excessive lubricating oil, damage or failure of seals and damage of pipe fittings;

4. Spindle noise (vibration), lack of lubrication, belt pulley dynamic balance is not good, belt pulley is too tight, gear wear or mesh clearance is too large, bearing damage;

5. No spindle or incorrect steering of oil pump, insufficient oil pipe or lubrication, clogged oil filter and insufficient oil pressure.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Mac! It's good to know that it's the VFD and not the spindle itself. This is a system that's been working okay for years, so it's not a setup problem. I got this system used and the VFD is an antique, so I'll look for another one that's compatible with my spindle. I'll see if I can get it to display its parameters so I can input them in the new one, but I can't find a manual for this thing, so I'm flying blind...
    You still should check the Spindle just a basic test with a meter check the windings yours most likely does not have a plug with pins but you will get the idea for checking it

Even though it ran for years it still could of had some Parameters set wrong

Pin 1 to Pin 2=

Pin 2 to Pin 3=

Pin3 to Pin 1=

And Ground to each of the pins

Plus Ground to the spindle Body

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by atocom View Post
    1. Spindle is hot, bearing is damaged or not clean, bearing grease is exhausted or excessive, bearing clearance is too small;

2. The belt driven by the spindle powerful motor and the spindle is too loose, the cutting stops, the belt surface is oily and the clutch is loose;

3. Lubricating oil leakage, excessive lubricating oil, damage or failure of seals and damage of pipe fittings;

4. Spindle noise (vibration), lack of lubrication, belt pulley dynamic balance is not good, belt pulley is too tight, gear wear or mesh clearance is too large, bearing damage;

5. No spindle or incorrect steering of oil pump, insufficient oil pipe or lubrication, clogged oil filter and insufficient oil pressure.
    You sure you posred in the right place none of this is related to the above problems

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks a lot, yesterday evening I finally got to try this. After configuring these values, I still had errors, but I think I found the fault - a loose wire from VFD to Spindle (UVW - the V was loose). Not completly disconnected, but no great connectivity.

Now I dont get any errors anymore and friday I will try to cut the first things!

Downloads
    Uploads

You still should check the Spindle just a basic test with a meter check the windings yours most likely does not have a plug with pins but you will get the idea for checking it

[I probed the spindle's terminal lugs with my multimeter without disconnecting the spindle from the VFD (which was turned off, so I didn't think it would connect through there).]

Pin 1 to Pin 2= [.9 ohms]

Pin 2 to Pin 3= [.9 ohms]

Pin3 to Pin 1= [.9 ohms]

And Ground to each of the pins [No continuity]

Plus Ground to the spindle Body
    [No continuity there either. But ijon's message is encouraging - I'll check for loose wires at the VFD end. It would be great if that was the problem.]

Downloads
    Uploads

Its brand new, it never ran. freshly imported from china

I found the loose-ish wire by measuring all of what you described (and then some). In the beginning I had no connectivity on the V-cable, then I measured at the spindle itself, took the plug apart, put it back together, tightened the screw-terminals on the VFD and then I couldnt reproduce the error anymore.

and I exchanged the resistance I measured with what was programmed in the VFD. The VFD had a resistance of 0.8ohm, I measured 1.3, so I changed it to 1.3

Friday, I will try to make the first cut.

Downloads
    Uploads

Its brand new, it never ran. freshly imported from china

I found the loose-ish wire by measuring all of what you described (and then some). In the beginning I had no connectivity on the V-cable, then I measured at the spindle itself, took the plug apart, put it back together, tightened the screw-terminals on the VFD and then I couldnt reproduce the error anymore.

and I exchanged the resistance I measured with what was programmed in the VFD. The VFD had a resistance of 0.8ohm, I measured 1.3, so I changed it to 1.3

Friday, I will try to make the first cut.
    Not sure what you programed in the VFD as there is nothing related to this to change

Don't check the output voltage of a VFD Drive with your regular meter this can damage the VFD Drive, your meter will not read the correct output Voltage as well, you need a special meter to do this or a oscilloscope

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Is there any problem with probing the input voltage with the VFD connected? Or should I take the connections apart first?

Downloads
    Uploads

Is there any problem with probing the input voltage with the VFD connected? Or should I take the connections apart first?
    Input is fine with a regular meter, and the checking of electronics parts,it's only the output voltage that will cause you problems because of the PWM frequency

Mactec54

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast