New Machine Build Connecting Isacon A2 VFD to Mach3 through DB25-1025 BOB

Thread: Connecting Isacon A2 VFD to Mach3 through DB25-1025 BOB

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Connecting Isacon A2 VFD to Mach3 through DB25-1025 BOB

Hi CNC Zone community. I was wondering if anyone could help me connect my new VFD to Mach3.

First let me say that the group I'm working with, we're all newbies in the CNC DIY field. Following some unfortunate (or fortunate) events, we decided to upgrade from Arduino CNC Shield to more powerful setup. After some troubles - stepper motors, drivers and BOB were successfully wired together and connected to Mach3. The next step was to wire together the spindle and VFD. And with unexpected smoothness this also went through.
    So now we have a working setup but it would be way easier if the spindle could be controlled via Mach3 instead of VFD box. The problem is that we found no manual for this neither the provided guide mentioned anything like it.

Our hardware:

- DB25-1205 BOB
    - Isacon A2-8015M VFD (1.5kW)
    - 1,5 kW spindle "JGF-FC65C-1"
    - UC100-USB controller for Mach3
    - 32bit W7 PC with Mach3

- Picture of VFD control ports

- Picture of BOB ports

- Pictures of VFD settings

The idea was that Mach3 could control spindle's power (on/off), its rotation direction (clockwise/anticlockwise) and its rotation frequency (speed).

So it will really help us out if anybody could share their experience or nudge me in the right direction on wiring the VFD and BOB or just explaining if it's even possible.

If there's also any information I forgot to share don't hesitate bringing that up

Best regards!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Connecting Isacon A2 VFD to Mach3 through DB25-1025 BOB

Quote Originally Posted by idevenk View Post
    Hi CNC Zone community. I was wondering if anyone could help me connect my new VFD to Mach3.

First let me say that the group I'm working with, we're all newbies in the CNC DIY field. Following some unfortunate (or fortunate) events, we decided to upgrade from Arduino CNC Shield to more powerful setup. After some troubles - stepper motors, drivers and BOB were successfully wired together and connected to Mach3. The next step was to wire together the spindle and VFD. And with unexpected smoothness this also went through.
    So now we have a working setup but it would be way easier if the spindle could be controlled via Mach3 instead of VFD box. The problem is that we found no manual for this neither the provided guide mentioned anything like it.

Our hardware:

- DB25-1205 BOB
    - Isacon A2-8015M VFD (1.5kW)
    - 1,5 kW spindle "JGF-FC65C-1"
    - UC100-USB controller for Mach3
    - 32bit W7 PC with Mach3

- Picture of VFD control ports

- Picture of BOB ports

- Pictures of VFD settings

The idea was that Mach3 could control spindle's power (on/off), its rotation direction (clockwise/anticlockwise) and its rotation frequency (speed).

So it will really help us out if anybody could share their experience or nudge me in the right direction on wiring the VFD and BOB or just explaining if it's even possible.

If there's also any information I forgot to share don't hesitate bringing that up

Best regards!
    Your Breakout Board does not support / have a PWM 0-10v output so you either need another Breakout Board or an add-on Board that has a Relay and the PWM 0-10v

To turn the VFD ON / OFF you need a Relay this works just like a switch for the ON / OFF of the VFD depending on what your spindle is you should only be running it in one direction so no need for reverse

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Your Breakout Board does not support / have a PWM 0-10v output so you either need another Breakout Board or an add-on Board that has a Relay and the PWM 0-10v

To turn the VFD ON / OFF you need a Relay this works just like a switch for the ON / OFF of the VFD depending on what your spindle is you should only be running it in one direction so no need for reverse
    Hi @Mactec54, thank you for reply

Do you think that this addon board would do the trick?

0-5V/0-10V to 0-100% Voltage to PWM Converter Board Duty Cycle Adjustable Conversion Module

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi @Mactec54, thank you for reply

Do you think that this addon board would do the trick?

0-5V/0-10V to 0-100% Voltage to PWM Converter Board Duty Cycle Adjustable Conversion Module
    Try and find one that has a relay on it as well and can be controlled by the outputs from your Breakout Board see if you can get one of the output to output and adjust form 0-5v when you change the speed once you have this working then the PWM Board would be setup for 0-5v input and some will output either 0-5v or 0-10v both will work with your VFD Drive just a Parameter change for which ever voltage you use, but you need a Relay also so will have 2 outputs from the Breakout Board that you have to get working ( 1 ) for the Relay ( 1 ) for the PWM control

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Try and find one that has a relay on it as well and can be controlled by the outputs from your Breakout Board see if you can get one of the output to output and adjust form 0-5v when you change the speed once you have this working then the PWM Board would be setup for 0-5v input and some will output either 0-5v or 0-10v both will work with your VFD Drive just a Parameter change for which ever voltage you use, but you need a Relay also so will have 2 outputs from the Breakout Board that you have to get working ( 1 ) for the Relay ( 1 ) for the PWM control
    We haven't found yet a board that has both relay and PWM control but following your comments we managed to wire a relay to our BOB and configure the Mach3 settings so the spindle can be now turned on and off via software.

Next step is to find an appropriate add on board. Considering that, if we won't find it we'll just order a separate PWM control board and will try to wire that. Thanks again!

Downloads
    Uploads

We haven't found yet a board that has both relay and PWM control but following your comments we managed to wire a relay to our BOB and configure the Mach3 settings so the spindle can be now turned on and off via software.

Next step is to find an appropriate add on board. Considering that, if we won't find it we'll just order a separate PWM control board and will try to wire that. Thanks again!
    It's just convenience more than anything else and a little tidier, but separate too will work fine

Mactec54