Buying NEW VFD for 2.2KW Spindle (OLD VFD died) - Page 7

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Buying NEW VFD for 2.2KW Spindle (OLD VFD died)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Buying NEW VFD for 2.2KW Spindle (OLD VFD died)

Quote Originally Posted by Rickpt View Post
    Received the replacement spindle today and it is much quieter however it is still making a strange noise. This link is a video of the noise at 12000 RPM. Does this sound normal? Any settings that could be tweaked?
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/FAe39PRnLq7S6PuF7

Are you using a EMI Rated Power Filter on the input power and is the Grounding for the spindle correct, Spindle 4th Pin to VFD Drive Shielding also Grounded at Both Ends, do you have a good 240v supply to the VFD Drive Power connected to R and T and Ground Terminals connected
    Try PD41=10

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Are you using a EMI Rated Power Filter on the input power and is the Grounding for the spindle correct, Spindle 4th Pin to VFD Drive Shielding also Grounded at Both Ends, do you have a good 240v supply to the VFD Drive Power connected to R and T and Ground Terminals connected
    Try PD41=10
    The only thing I don't have is the input power filter. I have a 14ga 4 wire shielded servo rated cable with the shield grounded at both ends.The 4th pin on the spindle is grounded to the case. I have a chassis ground from the Z slide back to the central star ground.The 240vac supply is wired as described above.The video was taken with the carrier frequency PD41 already set to 10.Changing PD41 to 10 didn't have much effect on the strange sound but it did make the spindle noticeable quieter.

Downloads
    Uploads

The only thing I don't have is the input power filter. I have a 14ga 4 wire shielded servo rated cable with the shield grounded at both ends.The 4th pin on the spindle is grounded to the case. I have a chassis ground from the Z slide back to the central star ground.The 240vac supply is wired as described above.The video was taken with the carrier frequency PD41 already set to 10.Changing PD41 to 10 didn't have much effect on the strange sound but it did make the spindle noticeable quieter.
    Sound like the speed is changing, pulsing up and down. Does the frequency read out change?

Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Sound like the speed is changing, pulsing up and down. Does the frequency read out change?
    That's what it sounds like to me but the frequency, RPM and amps don't change.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's what it sounds like to me but the frequency, RPM and amps don't change.
    I have a photo tach, works on light bouncing or reflected back from either a white mark or reflective tape on the target. I used it to calibrate my speed control pot I have mounted remotely
    on my CNC machine. I think I got it from Harbor Freight a few years ago. Its pretty accurate as I have checked it again a known RPM. Its possible your motor speed is varying and the read out is not
    showing it because its mechanical.

https://www.harborfreight.com/digita...ter-66632.html

Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Downloads
    Uploads

Try PD41=10
    Are the cheap $20 Amazon/EBAY power filters fine or do you need something better. Also since I am running a 2.2kw spindle on a 3kw vfd is a 20a filter fine or should I get a 30A. For some reason the 20A ones are more abundant and in stock on Amazon.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are the cheap $20 Amazon/EBAY power filters fine or do you need something better. Also since I am running a 2.2kw spindle on a 3kw vfd is a 20a filter fine or should I get a 30A. For some reason the 20A ones are more abundant and in stock on Amazon.
    30A is closer to what you need make sure it is EMI Rated, just in your web browser type 30A EMI Power Filter and you will get many choices

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Any brands or places to buy. For some reason all the 30A models on Amazon and Ebay are shipped from China.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    I have a photo tach, works on light bouncing or reflected back from either a white mark or reflective tape on the target. I used it to calibrate my speed control pot I have mounted remotely
    on my CNC machine. I think I got it from Harbor Freight a few years ago. Its pretty accurate as I have checked it again a known RPM. Its possible your motor speed is varying and the read out is not
    showing it because its mechanical.

https://www.harborfreight.com/digita...ter-66632.html
    I checked the RPM with a tach I borrowed and it was rock solid,no variation when running.

Downloads
    Uploads

Any brands or places to buy. For some reason all the 30A models on Amazon and Ebay are shipped from China.
    SCHAFFNER FN2020-30-08 EMI POWER LINE FILTER, 30A, 870UA

It's more money but most suppliers have them, this may not make any noticeable difference to how the spindle is running but will help clean up the main power supply

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

SCHAFFNER FN2020-30-08 EMI POWER LINE FILTER, 30A, 870UA

It's more money but most suppliers have them, this may not make any noticeable difference to how the spindle is running but will help clean up the main power supply
    Thanks
    I ended up ordered a TDK-Lambda #RSEN-2030 yesterday from Mouser.
    Should I stop worrying about the unusual noises the spindle makes. Other than the strange noise the spindle runs and cuts fine. The noise this spindle is making is not very loud,no where near as loud as the last spindle.
    I am assuming since I already bumped the carrier frequency to 10 that there isn't any other parameters to change.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Rickpt; 07-13-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks
    I ended up ordered a TDK-Lambda #RSEN-2030 yesterday from Mouser.
    Should I stop worrying about the unusual noises the spindle makes. Other than the strange noise the spindle runs and cuts fine. The noise this spindle is making is not very loud,no where near as loud as the last spindle.
    I am assuming since I already bumped the carrier frequency to 10 that there isn't any other parameters to change.
    Good Choice of Filter and cost is ok as well

Does the spindle only make that sound when at the 12,000 RPM range

Mactec54

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast