Shopbot CNC hit by lightning - please help me setup new VFD

Thread: Shopbot CNC hit by lightning - please help me setup new VFD

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Shopbot CNC hit by lightning - please help me setup new VFD

Hello - first post here. Hoping some people can guide me into getting my CNC running again since I am not super techy when it comes to the CNC's. I can draw, program, and use them to cut but I'm not great on the software or hardware side of all this. I bought a new VFD, I am not sure how to hook it up since the old one and new one don't seem very similar inside. See below for details.

I have a 2004 shopbot CNC, a PRT 60x120. My garage was hit by lightning and it fried my computers, the CNC was not affected, other than the USB control cable was plugged into the control box and the spike ran up into the CNC control box and did some damage. I have been working with shopbot on this for what seems FOREVER and still not up and running. AFTER replacing the USB control card and the entire motherboard in the control box, I am no informed my VFD is "bad" too. The new control boards and new software have at least gotten the machine moving again XYZ. But, the VFD would not turn on the spindle. I have never been able to control the spindle via the shopbot software, I just did it manually from the VFD.

Its a 2004 Shopbot PRT Alpha 60x120 CNC
    4HP 3KW SEV HSD Spindle (Model AT/MT 1073-140) Air Cooled Spindle
    Original VFD: Yaskawa V7-4X VFD (model CIMR-V7CU25P5)
    Installed SB3 Version 3.8

The VFD was reading F00 or F01 and shopbot said that meant is was bad. But, they wanted $1950 plus shipping for a new VFD. I can't afford that. At this point I've already spent too much replacing the circuit board etc. So, I purchased this instead:
    VFD 220V 5.5KW 7.5HP Variable Frequency Drive CNC Motor Inverter Converter for Spindle Motor Speed Control HUANYANG HY-Series(5.5KW, 220V)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0775LNKJD

Hope I can make it work. There are a lot of threads such as this but most of this is just over my head at the moment, and I don't have dozens of hours available to try to learn it all, its like greek to me right now. I am a bit remote from any type of technician, and would not really know who to call anyway. Here is the thread I found regarding VFD programming:
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/spind...310-posts.html

Anyway, my first challenge is that when I open the Yaskawa VFD up vs the new Huanyang I am not sure what to connect where... The Yaskawa also has this extra thing in there (small control board with a perforated metal cover on it, see photos attached) that does not seem to be part of the original VFD. I am not sure what its for, or if I need to transfer it to the new VFD? Maybe it was a speed controller or something? It looks nothing like the speed control USB type device that shopbot now sells so you can control the spindle via the software. At this point, I don't' really care how I do it, I just need to get this CNC working again. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I will update this post in a few minutes with the labels on all the terminals on old vs new VFD and maybe somebody knows what to put where to get things reconnected again. Appreciate it very much
    Lee

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shopbot CNC hit by lightning - please help me setup new VFD-20181129_110936-jpg   Shopbot CNC hit by lightning - please help me setup new VFD-20160306_180918-1-jpg   Shopbot CNC hit by lightning - please help me setup new VFD-20190310_174403-jpg   Shopbot CNC hit by lightning - please help me setup new VFD-20190310_175210-jpg  

Shopbot CNC hit by lightning - please help me setup new VFD-20190310_174407-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Shopbot CNC hit by lightning - please help me setup new VFD

Realized what the mystery box is. Its a output power supply for the Emergency Stop button on the CNC. So that explains some of the connections. I'll put those back on the new VFD where the old ones were (line power).

The DC bus on the old Yaskawa has two wires connected back to the CNC control box to the main circuit board: one wire from the SC terminal in VFD that goes to the "VFD DCM" terminal in the shopbot circuit board. The second is on the S1 terminal of the VFD that goes to the "VFD FWD" terminal on the shopbot control circuit board.

The new VFD has no such labeled DC bus terminals.

But, it seems like SC/DCM on the old VFD equates to DCM on the new, and S1/FWD to FOR (forward run) I am guessing.

Guess we shall see. The rest of the line voltage connections seem more straight forward, except the old VFD has two ground terminals vs the new one with only one.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bluebruin View Post
    Realized what the mystery box is. Its a output power supply for the Emergency Stop button on the CNC. So that explains some of the connections. I'll put those back on the new VFD where the old ones were (line power).

The DC bus on the old Yaskawa has two wires connected back to the CNC control box to the main circuit board: one wire from the SC terminal in VFD that goes to the "VFD DCM" terminal in the shopbot circuit board. The second is on the S1 terminal of the VFD that goes to the "VFD FWD" terminal on the shopbot control circuit board.

But, it seems like SC/DCM on the old VFD equates to DCM on the new, and S1/FWD to FOR (forward run) I am guessing.

Guess we shall see. The rest of the line voltage connections seem more straight forward, except the old VFD has two ground terminals vs the new one with only one.
    I think you at mistaken there would be only one thing connected to the DC Buss and that would be a Braking Resistor if you had one I think you mean Control Terminals

Would have to know the spindle specs to give you the correct Parameters to set the VFD

Your input Power wiring are you using 3Ph or Single Phase 240v

Spindle Amps=13
    RPM=18000
    Voltage=220
    Pole=2

I found enough off you spindle photo

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

What is your minimum speed for this Air cooled spindle

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

The VFD should not be connected to the Power supply so disconnect this if you have connected it to the VFD Drive

Main Power Supply Connections are R and T Plus Ground for Single Phase Connections so Different from the Yaskawa, U V W Connections are the same

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Main Power Supply Connections are R and T Plus Ground for Single Phase Connections
    Mactec54, your PM box is full

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by davida1234 View Post
    Mactec54, your PM box is full
    It keeps doing this but there is room try again

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

These are the Parameters you need to set for the VFD Drive

Huanyang Mactec54
    Input Power Connection Single Phase
    Terminals R and T Plus Ground
    3Kw Air Cooled 18,000 RPM

PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control )
    ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Terminal Control )

PD003=300

PD004=300

PD005=300

PD006=140

PD007=20

PD008=220

PD009=102

PD010=15

PD011=120

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings

PD014 Acceleration=8 ( Adjust to suit)

PD015 Deceleration=8 (Adjust to suit) ( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage )

PD142= 13 ( Motor Max Amps)

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 ( =Max Motor RPM 18,000)

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v )

PD72=300

PD73=120

PD120=120 (Stall Prevention )

PD174=?? ? ( Your VFD Drives Max Amp Output Rating )

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

thank you for the help!

I rewired everything the same into the new VFD as much as things are labeled the same as the old VFD.

There was one wire not connected to anything on the old vfd... wire that had pulled out of a terminal somewhere. Shopbot said this was from the spindle, that needed to go to S4/reset on the VFD.

I hooked it all up as I originally described, VFD turned on, ran and I could control the spindle speed!! The spindle does NOT have a braking resistor as far as I know. The old VFD has nothing hooked up to these terminal positions either.

Downloads
    Uploads

you mentioned the power supply should not be hooked up to the VFD... where else can I hook it up? I know so little about all this, I am just trying to replicate how it was. The VFD and CNC ran this way for 15 years before this lightning strike (setup by shopbot and/or the guy who owned it before me in Seattle) so I hesitate to change things up... really don't want to make any mistakes, the new control boards in the shopbot control box cost $1000 and don't want to replace that anytime soon. The new VFD was $238 so a little easier pill to swallow if I mess it up. Anyway, next I know I need to program the VFD to make sure it runs the spindle correctly, thanks for those specs!

I don;t think i have the ability to run the VFD/spindle remotely, since my shopbot control box would need more parts and an upgrade to even be able to do this.
    My garage has a 200amp panel. I have residential 1 phase power. I have a 2 pole breaker for 240V 1 phase to to the CNC/VFD etc. Again, just replicating how this was setup previously. CNC ran this way fine for about 2 years before the lightning strike. Hope the new vfd can also.
    thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

you mentioned the power supply should not be hooked up to the VFD... where else can I hook it up? I know so little about all this, I am just trying to replicate how it was. The VFD and CNC ran this way for 15 years before this lightning strike (setup by shopbot and/or the guy who owned it before me in Seattle) so I hesitate to change things up... really don't want to make any mistakes, the new control boards in the shopbot control box cost $1000 and don't want to replace that anytime soon. The new VFD was $238 so a little easier pill to swallow if I mess it up. Anyway, next I know I need to program the VFD to make sure it runs the spindle correctly, thanks for those specs!

I don;t think i have the ability to run the VFD/spindle remotely, since my shopbot control box would need more parts and an upgrade to even be able to do this.
    My garage has a 200amp panel. I have residential 1 phase power. I have a 2 pole breaker for 240V 1 phase to to the CNC/VFD etc. Again, just replicating how this was setup previously. CNC ran this way fine for about 2 years before the lightning strike. Hope the new vfd can also.
    thanks!
    The 2 VFD Drives are very different so don't assume they are the same

Well it is important how you wire the HY VFD the input power requirements are different from the Yaskawa was wired R and S the HY should be wired R and T that is the only part of the main wiring that is different

The Power supply if connected to the VFD would be a Bad Idea, that Power supply has nothing to do with the VFD Drive the VFD does not need any out side power supply attached to it unless

Now that being said they may be using a Relay in the VFD Drive to turn something on that would be the only connection the Power supply may be connected to, so care must be made to which connection is made if this is the case

Don't run the VFD Drive until you set the Parameters or you will damage it

Mactec54