Can a 2.2kw 20,000 RPM water cooled spindle be indexed if coupled to an encoder?

Thread: Can a 2.2kw 20,000 RPM water cooled spindle be indexed if coupled to an encoder?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Can a 2.2kw 20,000 RPM water cooled spindle be indexed if coupled to an encoder?

Can a 2.2kw 20,000 RPM water cooled spindle be indexed and hold that position if geared 4:1 to an R8 spindle coupled with an encoder?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Can a 2.2kw 20,000 RPM water cooled spindle be indexed if coupled to an encoder?

No, as someone already told you.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Can a 2.2kw 20,000 RPM water cooled spindle be indexed if coupled to an encoder?

Quote Originally Posted by allaces View Post
    Can a 2.2kw 20,000 RPM water cooled spindle be indexed and hold that position if geared 4:1 to an R8 spindle coupled with an encoder?
    In my experience, I’m pretty sure that the max allowable speed for the average encoder will be exceeded and I’m not sure that encoders exist for that rpm. How about a opto switch with a simple segmented rotor?

JohnCan a 2.2kw 20,000 RPM water cooled spindle be indexed if coupled to an encoder?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Can a 2.2kw 20,000 RPM water cooled spindle be indexed if coupled to an encoder?

ger21,

I must have missed that answer... where is it and I'm very sorry about that!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy251 View Post
    In my experience, I’m pretty sure that the max allowable speed for the average encoder will be exceeded and I’m not sure that encoders exist for that rpm. How about a opto switch with a simple segmented rotor?

JohnCan a 2.2kw 20,000 RPM water cooled spindle be indexed if coupled to an encoder?

There would be not problem with the encoder they can go way beyond any speed he would be using it at

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    There would be not problem with the encoder they can go way beyond any speed he would be using it at
    Ok Can a 2.2kw 20,000 RPM water cooled spindle be indexed if coupled to an encoder?
    20,000 rpm geared 4:1 = 5000 rpm as you say - no probs with that.Can a 2.2kw 20,000 RPM water cooled spindle be indexed if coupled to an encoder?

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok Can a 2.2kw 20,000 RPM water cooled spindle be indexed if coupled to an encoder?
    20,000 rpm geared 4:1 = 5000 rpm as you say - no probs with that.Can a 2.2kw 20,000 RPM water cooled spindle be indexed if coupled to an encoder?

With the encoder not being an issue... is there an easy way to brake and hold the R8 spindle position using the setup I described?

Downloads
    Uploads

Curious, what do you want to do?

Downloads
    Uploads

Not at all 5000 RPM is quite slow Encoders on the average AC servo run at 5,000 to 6,000 RPM and can go way above 20,000 RPM

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by he1957 View Post
    Curious, what do you want to do?
    I have a few projects that I would like to use this idea on if I could get it to work... but first... a small CNC lathe with a custom R8 spindle which would be used for machining small shafts and being able to index the spindle for machining grooves, keyways, drill holes, etc... using live tooling.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by allaces View Post
    With the encoder not being an issue... is there an easy way to brake and hold the R8 spindle position using the setup I described?
    It's not about the Encoder that part is a none issue

No you are not going to be able to use that motor to do any kind of positioning the 2.2Kw spindle motor has a minimum speed that you can run it at the normal is 6,000 RPM there are some that have a 3000 RPM minimum so would be impossible to position anything at those speeds, spindle orientation is normally done at around 3RPM

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    It's not about the Encoder that part is a none issue

No you are not going to be able to use that motor to do any kind of positioning the 2.2Kw spindle motor has a minimum speed that you can run it at the normal is 6,000 RPM there are some that have a 3000 RPM minimum so would be impossible to position anything at those speeds, spindle orientation is normally done at around 3RPM
    Thank you for that answer... I can now forget that idea and look at other more reasonable options.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know if this motor will index but it might be worth a look https://www.automationtechnologiesin...or-and-driver/

This motor will index and turn 5000 RPM https://www.ebay.com/itm/201903367253

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

there is no intrinsic problem with using a cheap 2.2KW Chinese spindle for indexing..

the problem is simply $$$ and time to setup a servo driver configured for an induction motor (a relatively inefficient one at that) to properly drive the motor.

most servos are permanent magnet for two reasons: higher air gap flux density (more torque per volume) and far lower losses.

a 1hp induction motor (regardless of rpm) might consume 1000 watts full load.. and 300 watts no load. and 500 watts simply delivering full load torque at zero rpm.
    a permanent magnet servo might consume 900 watts when delivering 1 hp to the shaft, and 100 watts no load at nominal rpm, and 250 watts when delivering full load torque at zero rpm. its also easier to dynamically control.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon_Joh View Post
    there is no intrinsic problem with using a cheap 2.2KW Chinese spindle for indexing..

the problem is simply $$$ and time to setup a servo driver configured for an induction motor (a relatively inefficient one at that) to properly drive the motor.

most servos are permanent magnet for two reasons: higher air gap flux density (more torque per volume) and far lower losses.

a 1hp induction motor (regardless of rpm) might consume 1000 watts full load.. and 300 watts no load. and 500 watts simply delivering full load torque at zero rpm.
    a permanent magnet servo might consume 900 watts when delivering 1 hp to the shaft, and 100 watts no load at nominal rpm, and 250 watts when delivering full load torque at zero rpm. its also easier to dynamically control.
    Dollars he does not have for his project, or he would of already been using a servo drive and motor, I'm not sure why you keep on posting something that is almost imposable to do

Please show us where we can find one of these magical servo drives that you can be program to run a 400Hz Ac motor

Mactec54