Need Help! 2.2KW aire cooled square Spindle worried about Max spindle current.

Thread: 2.2KW aire cooled square Spindle worried about Max spindle current.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 2.2KW aire cooled square Spindle worried about Max spindle current.

I have a huanyang vfd and have reviewed all the settings required through reading in these forums and on the web..(i have the vfd drive working with out the spindle OK)
    All my other pd settings are appropriate and low rpm setting of 16000 rpm as per seller (267 freq out of 400) look fine.

My concern is that I purchased this 2.2kw air cooled spindle and have just noticed the 6 amp rated current ..
    That seems either wrong (should be higher) or the stated KW rating of the vfd is misstated ..
    I do not want to damage this spindle by setting the PD142 to higher than 6 amps in case this may damage the spindle..
    I am feeding it from the vfd 220v (single phase) the vfd is producing 220 three phase to the spindle..
    Please look at the pictures with the spindle as you can see this type of spindle I have found all over(amazon/eBay) with the 6 amp labeling..
    I would put PD142 to 9amps if i was not worried and it was a typo but it has been seen all over with these types of spindles as 6 amps..
    Does anyone know which is it?

Thanks in advanced!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.2KW aire cooled square Spindle worried about Max spindle current.-screenshot_2019-01-26-square-2-2kw-2200w   2.2KW aire cooled square Spindle worried about Max spindle current.-htb11uvokv9tbunjy0fcq6zeifxav-jpg   2.2KW aire cooled square Spindle worried about Max spindle current.-htb14krxkvdh8kjjy1xcq6apdxxam-jpg  

Default Re: 2.2KW aire cooled square Spindle worried about Max spindle current.

May I ask why you think it should be higher? It's three phase so I think the current on any individual leg isn't as high.
    I haven't done the math though...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Other posts in cnc zone mention kw ratings and average max amps..
    What I have been reading throughout these forums is 2,2kw should be set to max current of 9 amps and 3kw even higher in PD142 field ,,
    user mactec54 has mentioned it a few times ...

Interesting. Three phase, 220v, 6 amps, with a power factor of 0.95 calculates to 2.17 kw.
    I don't doubt what you're saying but I'm surprised those other manufacturers wouldn't list those ones that pull 9amps as 3.3kw given that they use any excuse to over-rate they can already 2.2KW aire cooled square Spindle worried about Max spindle current.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes that's what concerns me ..
    Of all the spindles that are 2.2kw most show at least 8 to 9 amps ..
    So if i put in pd142=6 amps I will be safe but will I get the max performance..
    I happened to purchase a spindle that at this KW is the lowest current rating of all I looked at..(for this KW rating..I should of looked deeper)
    Or am I really dealing with a rebranded 1.5kw spindle!

Maybe it's just the most efficient! 2.2KW aire cooled square Spindle worried about Max spindle current. I know... Now we're really stretching.

Downloads
    Uploads

It will be here in a few days I'll put in the settings as per the spindle and see what happens..
    Its Chinese so labeling and true values do require being taken with a grain of salt!

Downloads
    Uploads

You use the value on the spindle label. If you set it higher, you risk damaging the spindle.

At 6 amps, then you are correct, it likely is not as powerful as most 2.2Kw spindles, which should be 9-10 amps. 6 amps is closer to 1.5Kw.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by restless1 View Post
    I have a huanyang vfd and have reviewed all the settings required through reading in these forums and on the web..(i have the vfd drive working with out the spindle OK)
    All my other pd settings are appropriate and low rpm setting of 16000 rpm as per seller (267 freq out of 400) look fine.

My concern is that I purchased this 2.2kw air cooled spindle and have just noticed the 6 amp rated current ..
    That seems either wrong (should be higher) or the stated KW rating of the vfd is misstated ..
    I do not want to damage this spindle by setting the PD142 to higher than 6 amps in case this may damage the spindle..
    I am feeding it from the vfd 220v (single phase) the vfd is producing 220 three phase to the spindle..
    Please look at the pictures with the spindle as you can see this type of spindle I have found all over(amazon/eBay) with the 6 amp labeling..
    I would put PD142 to 9amps if i was not worried and it was a typo but it has been seen all over with these types of spindles as 6 amps..
    Does anyone know which is it?

Thanks in advanced!
    Sometimes the confusion is the labeling a lot of these spindle motors are for 380v which could be around 6 amps, only the manufacture can give you the correct advice as to what the amps should be when there spindle is using 220v also ask how many amps per phase it should have at full load, as most VFD Drives are only reading ( 1 ) phase in the readout not the total Amps being used

I have some 2.2Kw spindles that are rated for 220v 10amps 400Hz 3000RPM to 24000RPM water cooled so there is quite a difference in these spindles from the different manufacturers

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by restless1 View Post
    Yes that's what concerns me ..
    Of all the spindles that are 2.2kw most show at least 8 to 9 amps ..
    So if i put in pd142=6 amps I will be safe but will I get the max performance..
    I happened to purchase a spindle that at this KW is the lowest current rating of all I looked at..(for this KW rating..I should of looked deeper)
    Or am I really dealing with a rebranded 1.5kw spindle!
    The manufacture may have been conservative because your spindle is air-cooled it is within a 2.2Kw rating for some of these spindles it would depend on the efficiency of the spindle design so 6amps to 9amps can be the norm for any of these spindles

If you can't get an answer from the manufacture, then I would run it for a week and then just take it up 1 amp at a time to a max of 9Amps but checking the temperature while running after every change as long as the VFD has safety's in place max current draw then you should be fine

The manufacture may also being conservative because your spindle is air-cooled

Here is a list of motor Ratings these are regular Ac motors take note of the voltage and Amps 3Ph 380v 5.5A 3Ph 220v 9.5A

Attached Files Attached Files
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Re: 2.2KW aire cooled square Spindle worried about Max spindle current.

Thanks I was going to set it at 6 amps and test it anyways,,
    if it operated within spec i would leave it at that..
    if not i will try the current incrementally I just wish that the seller would respond but he seems reluctant so my suspicions are indeed high..
    But still 1.5 to 2.2 kw for the price is very reasonable I would of liked some definitive answer since this seems like a common unit out there..
    Thanks all