Help with PRT-E1500 VFD 220v Please, spindle making a noise but not turning

Thread: Help with PRT-E1500 VFD 220v Please, spindle making a noise but not turning

Default Help with PRT-E1500 VFD 220v Please, spindle making a noise but not turning

The spindle in my 6040 cnc has stopped working. When I set it to manual mode & press start it sounds like its going to go but dosnt move. The numbers on the display keep going up to a certain point then a error message appears.

When doing this a couple of times i'v tried turning it with my hand & it is really stiff almost stuck solid then I turn it really hard & the motor starts turning & it picks up speed till the error appears on the screen then the spindle stops. What would cause this?

I have looked at posts on here & tried to reset the vfd which I think I have done correctly but it dosnt seem to help.

Has anyone came across this before?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help with PRT-E1500 VFD 220v Please, spindle making a noise but not turning

Quote Originally Posted by graeme1234 View Post
    The spindle in my 6040 cnc has stopped working. When I set it to manual mode & press start it sounds like its going to go but dosnt move. The numbers on the display keep going up to a certain point then a error message appears.

When doing this a couple of times i'v tried turning it with my hand & it is really stiff almost stuck solid then I turn it really hard & the motor starts turning & it picks up speed till the error appears on the screen then the spindle stops. What would cause this?

I have looked at posts on here & tried to reset the vfd which I think I have done correctly but it dosnt seem to help.

Has anyone came across this before?

Thanks
    Is it had to turn with the power off, if so the spindle is damaged

If you did a VFD Default Reset by using a Parameter, you would of lost the Parameters that are needed to run the spindle

Mactec54

The spindle turns freely when the power is off. I looked at a post that I think you helped someone out with settings.
    I tried to copy them but it dosnt seem to work.
    I added them as: D000=400

D001=1 (
    May be D000=0 by Default this will lock any Parameter Change
    )

D002=400

D003=400

D004=220

D009=400

D010=100

D011=10 ( Default=10 Adjustable Acceleration )

D012=10 ( Default=10 Adjustable Deceleration )

D031=0 ( Default=0 For Keypad use (1 ) for Remote Control )
    (D031 May need to be set to 4 D031=4 Depending how your Control is being used)

D032=0 (Default May need to be set to 1 D032=1 Depending how your control is being used )

D033=0 ( For Keypad Stop ( 1 ) If Remote Control is being used )

D036=1

Then similar happened so I changed
    D031, 32 & 33 =1
    & still the same happened.

On the last attempt I did se the spindle turn ever so slightly & then it said error on the display screen.
    Its so frustrating lol

Got it working in manual mode atlast. there was a couple of wires which the solder had broke inside the box. next task trying to figure out how to turn it on/off remotely. Getting it going in manual mode has gave me some motivation to try again. was feeling like nothing would work.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help with PRT-E1500 VFD 220v Please, spindle making a noise but not turning

Got it working in manual mode atlast. there was a couple of wires which the solder had broke inside the box. next task trying to figure out how to turn it on/off remotely. Getting it going in manual mode has gave me some motivation to try again. was feeling like nothing would work.
    Ok that should not be to hard to do, solder connections are never very good, did you still use the same Parameters

Can you post some photos of the VFD terminals

Mactec54

i'm struggling to upload a image for some reason. the vfd terminal has 11 ports.
    AVI, +10, COM, FWD, REV, MI1, MI2, MI3, MI4, Mo1, +12.
    When I opened the box up it had 3 wires connected. AVI (red wire) COM(black wire) & FWD (yellow wire).
    Will keep trying to upload a image

Downloads
    Uploads

i'm struggling to upload a image for some reason. the vfd terminal has 11 ports.
    AVI, +10, COM, FWD, REV, MI1, MI2, MI3, MI4, Mo1, +12.
    When I opened the box up it had 3 wires connected. AVI (red wire) COM(black wire) & FWD (yellow wire).
    Will keep trying to upload a image
    That is the correct wiring if you are using the same controller Breakout Board

Mactec54

I'm changing it to a dsp0501. Was trying to upload a wiring diagram but it just wont go. it had 2 options. one which just started & stopped the spindle & the other that let you control the speed.Will keep trying

Help with PRT-E1500 VFD 220v Please, spindle making a noise but not turning-onoff-speed-jpgHelp with PRT-E1500 VFD 220v Please, spindle making a noise but not turning-onoff-jpgHelp with PRT-E1500 VFD 220v Please, spindle making a noise but not turning-vfd-wiring-jpg

Help with PRT-E1500 VFD 220v Please, spindle making a noise but not turning-inst-jpg

What I was wondering was if I went for the wiring that would give the spindle speed control. Say I connected S0 to M1, S1 to M2, S2 to M3 & SP to FWD & COM. Have you any idea what I would need to change on the VFD to make this work?

Downloads
    Uploads

What I was wondering was if I went for the wiring that would give the spindle speed control. Say I connected S0 to M1, S1 to M2, S2 to M3 & SP to FWD & COM. Have you any idea what I would need to change on the VFD to make this work?
    It is correct the way it is wired, you may have to play with some of the VFD Parameters, but first you have to have a 0-10v coming out of the Breakout Board AVI and com are connected, if you are using Mach3 then it could be just some setting there that need to be set

These are the Parameters for the VFD to play with, but first check the output from the Breakout Board this Voltage needs to change with the speed you command you put in the control

D031=0 ( Default=0 For Keypad use (1 ) for Remote Control )
    (D031 May need to be set to 4 D031=4 Depending how your Control is being used)

D032=0 (Default May need to be set to 1 D032=1 Depending how your control is being used )

D033=0 ( For Keypad Stop ( 1 ) If Remote Control is being used )

Mactec54

Thanks again Mactec54. will give this a try tonight after work.

Tried the meter on m1, m2 & m3 & they were all reading 11v when the machine was idle (first turned on with no job sent to it).

Next i sent a job to it & hit start & there was no volatage at m1, m2, m3 & the spindle should have been at full power at speed number 8 on dsp.

Next i tried different speed settings. there are 8 speeds in total & nothing happened till i got to speed setting number 3 & the spindle started turning very slowly (reading 40 on the display & i was picking up 10v from m1)

Next i dropped the speed down to setting number 2 & the spindle slowed down to 30 on the display & there was a reading of 10v from m1 & m3

Next i went down to speed setting 1 & the spindle slowed down again to 20 on the display & there was 10v from m2 & m3.

I had the VFD settings as D031=1 D032=1 D033=1.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tried the meter on m1, m2 & m3 & they were all reading 11v when the machine was idle (first turned on with no job sent to it).

Next i sent a job to it & hit start & there was no volatage at m1, m2, m3 & the spindle should have been at full power at speed number 8 on dsp.

Next i tried different speed settings. there are 8 speeds in total & nothing happened till i got to speed setting number 3 & the spindle started turning very slowly (reading 40 on the display & i was picking up 10v from m1)

Next i dropped the speed down to setting number 2 & the spindle slowed down to 30 on the display & there was a reading of 10v from m1 & m3

Next i went down to speed setting 1 & the spindle slowed down again to 20 on the display & there was 10v from m2 & m3.

I had the VFD settings as D031=1 D032=1 D033=1.
    I did not know you where using a DSP for the control, I think someone else is trying to setup a DSP control as well, the VFD drive and wiring would have to be different to use a DSP control this is switching on and off preset speeds not so easy to setup

Mactec54

Help with PRT-E1500 VFD 220v Please, spindle making a noise but not turning-onoff-jpgI tried changing setting on the dsp so I could just have the spindle starting & stopping as the job starts & stops. it works but the spindle rotates very slow. would you say this would be a easy fix. I was looking online & found a copy of the vfd manual last weekend & now I cant find it anywhere. I was thinking there might just be a small setting change that would make it kick in at a higher speed

Downloads
    Uploads

Help with PRT-E1500 VFD 220v Please, spindle making a noise but not turning-onoff-jpgI tried changing setting on the dsp so I could just have the spindle starting & stopping as the job starts & stops. it works but the spindle rotates very slow. would you say this would be a easy fix. I was looking online & found a copy of the vfd manual last weekend & now I cant find it anywhere. I was thinking there might just be a small setting change that would make it kick in at a higher speed
    Does the spindle run in manual mode at max speed, the FWD and DCM is just a switch so just check the output to see with a meter, that it is just a switch it can not have any voltage coming out of the Board to the VFD Drive

Mactec54

Yes the spindle runs max speed on manual mode. there is a voltage coming out of the board going to the VFD drive when the machine is offline (no active job)

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes the spindle runs max speed on manual mode. there is a voltage coming out of the board going to the VFD drive when the machine is offline (no active job)
    There can not be any voltage going to FWD and DCM, you will fry the VFD Drive if it has any voltage content going to these terminals

Mactec54

Activation process etiennebertrand's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads