Which VFD for a 1.5kw 6040 router running from DSP 0501

Thread: Which VFD for a 1.5kw 6040 router running from DSP 0501

Default Which VFD for a 1.5kw 6040 router running from DSP 0501

I recently got a used 6040 router & convered it to run from a DSP 0501. Everything is working fine apart from the spindle. it wont turn on manual mode or pc mode. After many hours of messing about i'v decided to go for a new vfd & spindle. As I don't have instructions for the settings & I have tried many of them from the net with no luck.

What I was wondering was if anyone had any experience with wiring & programming a VFD in to a DSP 0501 so it can be controlled (on & off & speed control) via the dsp & if there was one that came with readable instructions.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Which VFD for a 1.5kw 6040 router running from DSP 0501

Quote Originally Posted by graeme1234 View Post
    I recently got a used 6040 router & convered it to run from a DSP 0501. Everything is working fine apart from the spindle. it wont turn on manual mode or pc mode. After many hours of messing about i'v decided to go for a new vfd & spindle. As I don't have instructions for the settings & I have tried many of them from the net with no luck.

What I was wondering was if anyone had any experience with wiring & programming a VFD in to a DSP 0501 so it can be controlled (on & off & speed control) via the dsp & if there was one that came with readable instructions.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    A 2.2Kw VFD would be ideal for the 1.5Kw spindle as for connecting to you control would have to no more about the control, does it have a relay on the board that would be used for the On / Off of the VFD Drive and does it have PWM output do you have some photos

Mactec54

Attachment 409265Thanks mactec. this is the wiring diagram for the controller. I don't see any relays in there but maybe there should be.

Downloads
    Uploads

Attachment 409265Thanks mactec. this is the wiring diagram for the controller. I don't see any relays in there but maybe there should be.
    I did look at this DSP control and it may not have what is normally needed for VFD control, it does have spare axes output that may be able to be used for a relay and a PWM Board from CNC4PC like this https://cnc4pc.com/c6-variable-speed-control-board.html this may not work for you so talk to CNC4PC before you buy they do have other options

It looks like you have something for the On/Off of the VFD Drive where it has FWD and DCM but no PWM for speed control so you may just need a simple PWM board

You would have to test M1 M2 and M3 to see what those connections do they may be a 0-10v control

Mactec54

Thanks again mactec. I will send them a email. I went for this dsp because i used to operate a cnc at my old place of work with this connected & I thought it was great. Really easy & simple to operate. Didnt realise it would be so difficult to get the spindle set up & the instructions that came with the dsp are a bit confusing to me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Re: Which VFD for a 1.5kw 6040 router running from DSP 0501

The 3 lines, connected to your VFD (Transducer) marked M1, M2 and M3 are for speed selection. You have to configure your VFD to accept these inputs and to assign speeds for the 8 possible values.
    M1 = 20, M2 = 21 and M3 = 22, so you have 8 possible combinations 0..7, whichequals 8 differentspeeds.
    These speeds are selectable by pressing a combination of two bittons on DSP (forgot which one 'cause I sold machine more than a yeat ago, and before that I converted it to Mach3 - made my own BOB)

Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

Hi ZASto. I thought the M1 M2 & M3 were for speed controls. It was where to wire them in to the VFD I was having bother with as I have no instructions as to which sockets to wire them up to & then trying to configure the VFD is near enough impossible for me. i'v looked online but cant seem to find any guides. I'v got to the point where I would be happy spending money on buying a new VFD that would hopefully come with full instructions or even better a company that sells them that offers support. I'm just scared buying one of the Chinese ones to go through the same problems with no support.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi ZASto. I thought the M1 M2 & M3 were for speed controls. It was where to wire them in to the VFD I was having bother with as I have no instructions as to which sockets to wire them up to & then trying to configure the VFD is near enough impossible for me. i'v looked online but cant seem to find any guides. I'v got to the point where I would be happy spending money on buying a new VFD that would hopefully come with full instructions or even better a company that sells them that offers support. I'm just scared buying one of the Chinese ones to go through the same problems with no support.
    Unless you know what M1 M2 and M3 output you can't connect them to any VFD drive, are they just a switch or do they have a voltage output

To control a VFD speed control you don't have many choices, you either have a 0-10v or a 0-5v through PWM or you could turn On/Off a set of relays that would just be a set speed, the PWM controlled speed can be changed to anything you want relay switching can only be ( 1 ) preset speed

Going by the wiring schematic I posted it looks like your control was only set up to control a DC motor control which is very different from a VFD control

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

In manual attached to message #4, on page 11, it is visible the submenu Spindle Setup where you can set voltage levels (High or Low) for the outputs which are through breakout (interface) board connected to VFD.
    VFD should be programmed to accept these three signals (fourth is ForWarD which switches the spindle On/Off) for speed selection.

You have connection diagram here: http://forum.machsupport.com/forum/i...0;attach=11729

Original manual: http://www.richauto.com.cn/en/down.a...5155258788.rar

Last edited by ZASto; 01-06-2019 at 07:07 PM.
    Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ZASto View Post
    In manual attached to message #4, on page 11, it is visible the submenu Spindle Setup where you can set voltage levels (High or Low) for the outputs which are through breakout (interface) board connected to VFD.
    VFD should be programmed to accept these three signals (fourth is ForWarD which switches the spindle On/Off) for speed selection.

You have connection diagram here: http://forum.machsupport.com/forum/i...0;attach=11729

Original manual: http://www.richauto.com.cn/en/down.a...5155258788.rar
    VFD Drive for normal use has ( 1 ) connection to control the speed and this has to be PWM 0-10v or some can use 0-5v to control the speed

The other method is switching a preset speed which you have no control of

Mactec54

I Havnt got a hold of a meter to test it yet. Was having a play about with the current vfd that I thought was broken but i'm sure it could be the settings. its on a PRT-E1500W 220V on the 6040 router. When I start it up in manual mode it sounds like the motor is going to start spinning but it locks solid till I give it a turn with my hand then it starts spinning & it gets fast then a error message appears on the screen & It then cuts out. I tried looking on here for setting & they don't seem to help any.

Thanks Za Sto, Just had a look at that manual. Has more detail than the one i got emailed from seller

Have finally got the vfd/spindle working in manual mode . 2 of the soldered connections had broke inside the box. should really have checked them. Next project trying to get the spindle turning remotely. Seeing a little progress has got me motivated again