Huanyang GT Inverter Starts but doesn't stop

Thread: Huanyang GT Inverter Starts but doesn't stop

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Huanyang GT Inverter Starts but doesn't stop

I got my VFD and spindle wired up (from this thread: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/spind...n-outputs.html). But now I am having a few issues.

Issue 1: I have the vfd wired up to use 0-10V for speed control. Shen I command a speed in mach 4 (Using MDI, command S15000 M3) The spindle starts up but does not stop, and the spindle appears to be using the speed commanded by keypad. When changing the input on the dial on the keypad, I can increase the speed, but not decrease it, the frequency displayed on the VFD follows this. If the dial is all the way down, then I start the spindle nothing happens, then when I turn the dial the spindle starts turning,and the spindle sounds like the speed is increasing with the keypad dial, then if I turn the dial back down, the frequency on the display stays the same, and it does not sound like the spindle is slowing down.

I have the input source set to terminal, and am using AI1. I used a multi meter to verify that the voltage is changing on the input. And I am pretty sure this is working as it worked with my other VFD and spindle a few days ago.

My settings:
    P0.00 - 0
    P0.01 - 0
    P0.02 - 1
    P0.03 - 400
    P0.04 - 300
    P0.05 - 0
    P0.06 - 400
    P0.07 - 1
    P0.08 - 2
    P0.09 - 0
    P0.10 - 0
    P0.11 - 5
    P0.12 - 10
    P0.13 - 0
    P0.14 - 5
    P0.15 - 1
    P0.16 - 0
    P0.17 - 0
    P0.18 - 0

Issue 2: The spindle at speed does not seem to be working correctly. When I look at the output in mach 4 diag screen, it appears to be flickering. When idle it is mostly off, it flickers a few times a second, when running it is on about 50% of the time. When I run a simple GCODE file, once it hits the command to start the spindle it, pauses slightly then takes off. I think this may be noise related. The cable is about 8 foot long, but it is 6 inches or more from power cables. All boards etc are sharing the same ground on the machine. Any ideas?

***Follow up. I tried switching the input to AI2 and changing P0.07 to 2. But when running it's very slow (it shows freq of 4.80 on the keypad display). I metered the AI2 input, and it was 0.13 volts. When the input is disconnected from the VFD the voltage is 6.33 Volts. In the manual it sttes that J16 needs to be set to either I or V depending on the type of input used for AI2 (Current or Voltage). Unfortunately the jumper is only labeled J16, with no indication of which is V or I. So I tried the jumper in both position, with no change in the spindle speed.
    - Also the spindle does not stop running when commanded to stop.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by TTalma; 12-30-2018 at 03:02 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Huanyang GT Inverter Starts but doesn't stop

P0.01 should be set to 1

Are you using a relay to start and stop it?

When I look at the output in mach 4 diag screen, it appears to be flickering.
    Mach4 has no feedback from the VFD, so this is likely a Mach4 or controller issue. Is your controller providing the 0-10V signal?

The manual implies that J16 is labeled with a V and an I?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    P0.01 should be set to 1

Are you using a relay to start and stop it?

Mach4 has no feedback from the VFD, so this is likely a Mach4 or controller issue. Is your controller providing the 0-10V signal?

The manual implies that J16 is labeled with a V and an I?
    Setting P0.01 has the same results. I have been playing around with it some more. And have tried all of the settings. Using the keypad to control the speed etc. results in the in the same outcome. It is able ramp up the speed but can not decrease or stop it. Hitting the run button starts the spindle. Hitting the stop/rst button does nothing. Holding it down does nothing either. Every other feature setting works as expected, but I am unable to decrease the speed or stop the spindle. The display etc always seems to correspond to what the spindle is doing.

When the output of the speed control is connected to the VFD the voltage is very low, less than 1 volt. When the lines are not connected the the voltage is what I would expect. (For a setting of 15000rpm, when connected the voltage is .13V, and when disconnected, "in air", it is 6.33V.

I have set up one of the digital outputs with the spindle at speed (Page 50 in the manual) this is the output I am referring to I would expect it to be high or low, not flickering. Unfortunately I only have a multi-meter to test with.

The J16 is not labeled, There is an arrow pointing to one of the pins, but therre is no indication of what that does, but moving the jumper does not make any changes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TTalma View Post
    I have set up one of the digital outputs with the spindle at speed (Page 50 in the manual) this is the output I am referring to I would expect it to be high or low, not flickering. Unfortunately I only have a multi-meter to test with.

Do you have a load connected or at least a pull-up resistor, otherwise the output will not be steady.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Do you have a load connected or at least a pull-up resistor, otherwise the output will not be steady.
    Al.
    It is connected straight from the output of the VFD to the input of the ESS. I could try adding a pull-up.

Downloads
    Uploads

The solid state open collector outputs require a pull up or load of some kind up to the DC supply 5v to 24vdc.
    What is the nature of the ESS input?
    Edit: looks like the ESS input has a 4.7k pull up to 5vdc so it should be ok.Make sure the COM (common) is coupled over
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

The solid state open collector outputs require a pull up or load of some kind up to the DC supply 5v to 24vdc.
    What is the nature of the ESS input?
    Edit: looks like the ESS input has a 4.7k pull up to 5vdc so it should be ok.Make sure the COM (common) is coupled over
    Al.
    I added a ground between Gnd on the VFD and GND on the ESS. This eliminated the "noise" on the line (The flashing stopped). Now the output never goes high. I verified that I have RO1A set to Frequency reached (P6.02 = 6). But the output never goes high. I checked RO1B and RO1C as well and those never are always low as well (As expected). There is a tolerance that you can adjust the "Frequency arrived detection range" (P08.23), 0% to 100%, 0 is exact speed 100 means any rotational speed. I set the value to 100% and still no change.

I tried checking these while connection to the ess, as well as nothing connected to the output.

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you try adjusting the range setting ? P8.23
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you try adjusting the range setting ? P8.23
    Al.
    It was at zero, I tried increments of 20, up to 100 with no change.

Downloads
    Uploads

It was at zero, I tried increments of 20, up to 100 with no change.
    What spindle are you using the parameters you have set don't seem to be set correct,

Water cooled or Air cooled

Hz=
    Kw=

You need P7.04=3 for Keypad Stop control

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all of the help. I spent another day working with this. In no circumstance can I get the VFD to so reduce the speed of the spindle or stop the spindle, unless I hit E-stop (Which in my case removes power). I can not get any of the outputs to work either (for example there is a setting to set an output to go high when it is powered on and there is no fault, this never goes high)

I checked the analog outputs as well and as best as I can test these do not appear to be working either. (I only have a multi-meter and not a scope)

I've tried running the auto tune cycle, The spindle starts and increases speed fine, but will not decrease or stop. I tried 2-way and 3-way switch setting for start stop. It still won't stop.

I tried repeating my test with the spindle running in reverse. Still it only increases in speed and will not stop.

With all external input/output wires disconnected and commands set to the keypad, It still only increases in speed and does not stop.

At this point I believe either the VFD is bad or if it is working correctly, it is not compatible with my system. I plan to purchase a new VFD and will post a thread for recommendations shortly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all of the help. I spent another day working with this. In no circumstance can I get the VFD to so reduce the speed of the spindle or stop the spindle, unless I hit E-stop (Which in my case removes power). I can not get any of the outputs to work either (for example there is a setting to set an output to go high when it is powered on and there is no fault, this never goes high)

I checked the analog outputs as well and as best as I can test these do not appear to be working either. (I only have a multi-meter and not a scope)

I've tried running the auto tune cycle, The spindle starts and increases speed fine, but will not decrease or stop. I tried 2-way and 3-way switch setting for start stop. It still won't stop.

I tried repeating my test with the spindle running in reverse. Still it only increases in speed and will not stop.

With all external input/output wires disconnected and commands set to the keypad, It still only increases in speed and does not stop.

At this point I believe either the VFD is bad or if it is working correctly, it is not compatible with my system. I plan to purchase a new VFD and will post a thread for recommendations shortly.
    If you continue to stop the spindle like this, you will most likely damage the VFD drive, if it has not already, sometimes it will take the spindle with it as well

I would say that you need to disconnect what you have been trying to do and do a VFD Drive Reset to Factory Defaults as you have messed up some settings, and set the only needed Parameters to suit your Spindle Motor

Then just run it as a normal VFD and then play with what you wanted to do after you have full control of it

The VFD could well of been damaged the first time you stopped it with an Estop, the Estop should only be connected through the logic and not the main power with these high speed spindles, the back EMF when power is cut will do serious damage when the spindle is running at high speed

You can not use Auto tune if you don't have the Parameters set correct

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If you continue to stop the spindle like this, you will most likely damage the VFD drive, if it has not already, sometimes it will take the spindle with it as well

I would say that you need to disconnect what you have been trying to do and do a VFD Drive Reset to Factory Defaults as you have messed up some settings, and set the only needed Parameters to suit your Spindle Motor

Then just run it as a normal VFD and then play with what you wanted to do after you have full control of it

The VFD could well of been damaged the first time you stopped it with an Estop, the Estop should only be connected through the logic and not the main power with these high speed spindles, the back EMF when power is cut will do serious damage when the spindle is running at high speed

You can not use Auto tune if you don't have the Parameters set correct
    It is possible that I damaged the VFD. I did try resetting the unit to factory default, entering the spindle parameters, and running auto tune. But it will not stop the driving the VFD. I wrote everything down when I first powered it up. The values of the spindle were correctly entered in the VFD. It clearly states in the manual that when running the VFD via the keypad you start it by pressing the "run" button and stop it by pressing the "Stop/RST" button. Pressing the stop button only makes the same beeping sound that pressing any of the buttons does.

Also when set to keypad mode, the pot on the front will increase the frequency but not decrease it. This is the same when using the arrows to increase/decrease the frequency. Even when driving a fault input high in to the VFD it does not stop.

As of yet there is no explanation for the following:

Why the VFD will not stop driving the spindle.
    Why the VFD will not decrease the spindle speed.
    Why the VFD will not provide any digital outputs.

On pages 22, 23, 28, 30, 36, 37, 38, 45, 47, 48, and 54 all describe the different ways to stop the spindle. None of these work. I did not try PLC mode or 485 communication as I will not be using them.

I am willing to keep trying things. I have not tried causing a fault on the VFD as the only ways I know how to are either dangerous to me or, could cause permanent damage to the spindle or VFD.

I would love to get this thing working, as I do not want to spend what I am estimating will be $1k-$1.2k on a new VFD but unless the spindle will stop and the digital outputs will work it is useless to me.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would love to get this thing working, as I do not want to spend what I am estimating will be $1k-$1.2k on a new VFD .
    You should be able to get an Hitachi for around $600 for a 7.5HP.
    Even less for lower HP.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

It is possible that I damaged the VFD. I did try resetting the unit to factory default, entering the spindle parameters, and running auto tune. But it will not stop the driving the VFD. I wrote everything down when I first powered it up. The values of the spindle were correctly entered in the VFD. It clearly states in the manual that when running the VFD via the keypad you start it by pressing the "run" button and stop it by pressing the "Stop/RST" button. Pressing the stop button only makes the same beeping sound that pressing any of the buttons does.

Also when set to keypad mode, the pot on the front will increase the frequency but not decrease it. This is the same when using the arrows to increase/decrease the frequency. Even when driving a fault input high in to the VFD it does not stop.

As of yet there is no explanation for the following:

Why the VFD will not stop driving the spindle.
    Why the VFD will not decrease the spindle speed.
    Why the VFD will not provide any digital outputs.

On pages 22, 23, 28, 30, 36, 37, 38, 45, 47, 48, and 54 all describe the different ways to stop the spindle. None of these work. I did not try PLC mode or 485 communication as I will not be using them.

I am willing to keep trying things. I have not tried causing a fault on the VFD as the only ways I know how to are either dangerous to me or, could cause permanent damage to the spindle or VFD.

I would love to get this thing working, as I do not want to spend what I am estimating will be $1k-$1.2k on a new VFD but unless the spindle will stop and the digital outputs will work it is useless to me.
    One problem with doing a Factory Reset not all the Parameter's will reset, you would have to go through every Parameter to see that they are at Factory Default, the Key Pad if the connecting cable is not glued in place disconnect and reconnect

Another way to stop is to Press the Start and Stop both together, this usually will indicate a Parameter setting problem

It does sound though that there may be a problem with the VFD which if so the manufacture will replace it

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

TTalma

Looking at what you have been trying to do, you may have jumpers also set incorrect

J1 Jumper has to be in the right position for the Potentiometer to work, so you may have a combination of Parameters and Jumper settings that are causing your problems

Mactec54