Old Delta VFD configuration help

Thread: Old Delta VFD configuration help

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Old Delta VFD configuration help

Hi,

I'm refurbishing a machine that's equipped with a Colombo 5.5Kw spindle and a (now discontinued) Delta VFD (VFD075H23A) Manual Here

The spindle/VFD were fine, but the rest of the electronics have all been replaced with a Mach3/ESS/PMDX setup driving Gecko servo drives, together with a PMDX-107 spindle interface that I've configured to control the VFD. For the most part it's all working, but there are spindle configuration issues I haven't been able to sort out I'm hoping for some help with.

Whenever I mess with the braking / ramp stop parameters I get behaviors I don't expect. I have a braking resistor installed and my preferred behavior is that when I stop the spindle it ramps quickly to a stop instead of coasting. But no matter how I configure things, it doesn't work. For the most part, when I enable "Ramp" and set the values to spin down quickly what I get instead is an interminable spin-down that I basically have to stop by unplugging the VFD.

I also saw a weird behavior where when I set up DC braking on spin down what I got instead was an odd brake pulsing during Run (ie: not stopping).

At this point it's all working fine with Coast to Stop, but I'd really like it to spin down more quickly. The manual describes the parameters but doesn't really give enough context that I know how they all work together. Can anyone give me a quick primer on what I ought to be doing to accomplish my goal?

Thanks
    -Ben

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Old Delta VFD configuration help

Quote Originally Posted by benha View Post
    Hi,

I'm refurbishing a machine that's equipped with a Colombo 5.5Kw spindle and a (now discontinued) Delta VFD (VFD075H23A) Manual Here

The spindle/VFD were fine, but the rest of the electronics have all been replaced with a Mach3/ESS/PMDX setup driving Gecko servo drives, together with a PMDX-107 spindle interface that I've configured to control the VFD. For the most part it's all working, but there are spindle configuration issues I haven't been able to sort out I'm hoping for some help with.

Whenever I mess with the braking / ramp stop parameters I get behaviors I don't expect. I have a braking resistor installed and my preferred behavior is that when I stop the spindle it ramps quickly to a stop instead of coasting. But no matter how I configure things, it doesn't work. For the most part, when I enable "Ramp" and set the values to spin down quickly what I get instead is an interminable spin-down that I basically have to stop by unplugging the VFD.

I also saw a weird behavior where when I set up DC braking on spin down what I got instead was an odd brake pulsing during Run (ie: not stopping).

At this point it's all working fine with Coast to Stop, but I'd really like it to spin down more quickly. The manual describes the parameters but doesn't really give enough context that I know how they all work together. Can anyone give me a quick primer on what I ought to be doing to accomplish my goal?

Thanks
    -Ben
    Don't ever turn the VFD Drive off when the spindle is still running, this can damage the VFD drive

You don't want to be using coast to stop Parameter

Ramp to stop

Pr.02= d0000

Pr.11=d03.0 this may be able to be 1.0s just start at 3s

Pr.03= max spindle frequency???

Put all you Dc braking back to default to start

If you have the Braking resister activated then you don't have to do anything with the Dc Braking unless you need more stopping power what do you have the Parameter Decelerating set to set to 3s and start with this

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks!

So I was really at a loss for how to stop the thing without cutting the power since it just wasn't stopping on its own. It might have gotten there eventually but it sure didn't seem like it would.

What's interesting is that the values you propose are basically the values I was using when I started this process. I have both 3 and 4 at 0600, which is the nameplate frequency on the drive. I'm a little confused by what #4 is setting, but it told me to use the nameplate frequency so that's what I did. Anyway, configured as such it was spinning down incredibly slowly. I'm not at the machine right now so I can't confirm (again) that it doesn't work that way, but I'm pretty sure...

In spite of reading through the explanations and graphs a half dozen times I also really don't understand what Parms 6-9 are all about but I'm just leaving them at their default values.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks!

So I was really at a loss for how to stop the thing without cutting the power since it just wasn't stopping on its own. It might have gotten there eventually but it sure didn't seem like it would.

What's interesting is that the values you propose are basically the values I was using when I started this process. I have both 3 and 4 at 0600, which is the nameplate frequency on the drive. I'm a little confused by what #4 is setting, but it told me to use the nameplate frequency so that's what I did. Anyway, configured as such it was spinning down incredibly slowly. I'm not at the machine right now so I can't confirm (again) that it doesn't work that way, but I'm pretty sure...

In spite of reading through the explanations and graphs a half dozen times I also really don't understand what Parms 6-9 are all about but I'm just leaving them at their default values.
    Sounds like you don't have it set correct if 3 and 4 are at 60 this is the drive default and would be bad, what are the spec's for your spindle

You have to know all this to set the VFD Drive correct

5.5Kw
    240v ??
    Amps=
    Poles #=
    RPM max=
    Hz Max=

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for the confusion. They're not set at 60Hz. They're at 600Hz per the motor's nameplate (image below).

I've attached an image of said nameplate for completeness, but it's a 600Hz, 21.5A, 36000RPM, spindle.

Also, it's set up enough that when Mach3 thinks it's spinning at 8000RPM my handheld tach indicates something +/- 10% of that, so presumably it's mostly configured correctly.

Old Delta VFD configuration help-img_0760-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for the confusion. They're not set at 60Hz. They're at 600Hz per the motor's nameplate (image below).

I've attached an image of said nameplate for completeness, but it's a 600Hz, 21.5A, 36000RPM, spindle.

Also, it's set up enough that when Mach3 thinks it's spinning at 8000RPM my handheld tach indicates something +/- 10% of that, so presumably it's mostly configured correctly.

Old Delta VFD configuration help-img_0760-jpg
    Unless you have a different VFD Drive to the link you posted, the VFD Drive in the link only goes to 400Hz so it would not be possible to set the Parameters at 600Hz with this Drive

So is you VFD Drive different from the link you posted

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

That confused me for a while too. If you look at the footnote on Page 1 - attached for your convenience - you'll see the note about the difference between the VFD-A series and the VFD-H series, both of which are covered by this manual. I have the "H" version, which means it can be regulated up to 1500Hz. This footnote and the one on page 62 are the only places that mention this fact which makes it pretty confusing, but for my unit you can go above 400Hz.

Old Delta VFD configuration help-screen-shot-2018-12-17-1-27-a

Downloads
    Uploads

That confused me for a while too. If you look at the footnote on Page 1 - attached for your convenience - you'll see the note about the difference between the VFD-A series and the VFD-H series, both of which are covered by this manual. I have the "H" version, which means it can be regulated up to 1500Hz. This footnote and the one on page 62 are the only places that mention this fact which makes it pretty confusing, but for my unit you can go above 400Hz.

Old Delta VFD configuration help-screen-shot-2018-12-17-1-27-a
    I though that's what the H was for but could not find that reference so then if you have all those main settings set at 600, there is a minimum speed that you also have to set then your speed should be able to be quite accurate

Parameter #36= 600

Parameter #37= the slowest the spindle is aloud to run, this will depend on the cooling fan this spindle has give Combo a call they will tell you what the minimum speed is for this spindle if you don't have it

So the other parameters I said to set you need to check these and then it should be able to stop correctly

You may have to do a Reset to the Default if they are to messed up and then just redo what you need for your spindle

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay awesome. I'll give this a go when I get back to the machine (it'll be a couple of days).

The spindle is cooled by compressed air so there shouldn't be a minimum speed for cooling. There's probably a minimum efficient speed though.

Really appreciate your help!

-Ben

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay awesome. I'll give this a go when I get back to the machine (it'll be a couple of days).

The spindle is cooled by compressed air so there shouldn't be a minimum speed for cooling. There's probably a minimum efficient speed though.

Really appreciate your help!

-Ben
    All High Speed High Frequency spindles have a minimum speed they can be run no matter how they are cooled, even if they are water cooled

Mactec54