Need advice on wiring...

Thread: Need advice on wiring...

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Need advice on wiring...

Greetings!

I could use some advice when it comes to properly wiring up my Maker-Grade CNC Setup:

The setup consists of an Inventables X-Carve with the most notable upgrad being a 0.8kw HuanYang ER11 Spindle hooked to a 1.5kw HuanYang GT Series Inverter with the latter being fully controllable by the X-Controller ( automatic start/stop and rpm )

Generally speaking I'm having no issues with the machine even though the only shielded cable in the system right now sits between the VFD and the Spindle ( 4 Pole U/V/W/GND+Shield ). At some point or another I'll probably at least be upgrading the signal wires between the X-Controller and the VFD - Just to be on the save side.

Powerline:
    One issue I'm currently having lies with how I access the Server for files or the iNet for information while I'm in the basement which is done via a Powerline Adapter hooked to the only 220V Socket available to me - The same Socket everything else ( Laptop, Controller, VFD, VAC, etc... ) is hooked onto - Once the Controller/VFD are being switched on the Powerline Adapter looses connectivity - Any suggestions if at all and how this could be remidied?

Shielding:
    According to the VFDs Manual ( http://www.hy-electrical.com/BF/GT%2...s%20manual.PDF ) on Page 20 - 4.6.3.1 Noise control it mentions:
    It is strictly prohibitive to connect the twisted shielding layer to the ground of inverter, which greatly decreases or loses the shielding effect.
    Soo... Any lead coming off a cables shielding layer should then be connected to where if not a Grounding Terminal?
    From my understanding the Shielding Layer needs to be grounded SOMEWHERE but I'm uncertain as to where with the most obvious choice not actually being the proper one.

For static purpose I've ran a desoldering wick through the VACs hose and attached the end to a lead connected to a 220V Ground Plug - Should I do the same for the shielding of cables? Run an extra cable to a Plugs Grounding Pin?

Thanks in advance! =)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Durahl, I came across your question while looking or answers of my own, however, it seems what they are saying is that the shielding from the cable should not go to the earth terminal inside the vfd but rather go to ground somewhere on the frame and the other side of the cable shielding should be connected to the motor casing.

I could be wrong and stand to be corrected but i hope this helps anyway.

regards
    Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need advice on wiring...

did either of you find an answer? I've been trying to figure out the same thing for my CNC, I have a 3 phase motor, and it has 4 wires plus the shielding in the cable, Seems straight forward to hook up my 3 hots and ground on the motor end, but VFD manual doesn't say anything about grounding the motor or shielding at the VFD side.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Durahl View Post
    Greetings!

I could use some advice when it comes to properly wiring up my Maker-Grade CNC Setup:

The setup consists of an Inventables X-Carve with the most notable upgrad being a 0.8kw HuanYang ER11 Spindle hooked to a 1.5kw HuanYang GT Series Inverter with the latter being fully controllable by the X-Controller ( automatic start/stop and rpm )

Generally speaking I'm having no issues with the machine even though the only shielded cable in the system right now sits between the VFD and the Spindle ( 4 Pole U/V/W/GND+Shield ). At some point or another I'll probably at least be upgrading the signal wires between the X-Controller and the VFD - Just to be on the save side.

Powerline:
    One issue I'm currently having lies with how I access the Server for files or the iNet for information while I'm in the basement which is done via a Powerline Adapter hooked to the only 220V Socket available to me - The same Socket everything else ( Laptop, Controller, VFD, VAC, etc... ) is hooked onto - Once the Controller/VFD are being switched on the Powerline Adapter looses connectivity - Any suggestions if at all and how this could be remidied?

Shielding:
    According to the VFDs Manual ( http://www.hy-electrical.com/BF/GT%2...s%20manual.PDF ) on Page 20 - 4.6.3.1 Noise control it mentions:
    It is strictly prohibitive to connect the twisted shielding layer to the ground of inverter, which greatly decreases or loses the shielding effect.
    Soo... Any lead coming off a cables shielding layer should then be connected to where if not a Grounding Terminal?
    From my understanding the Shielding Layer needs to be grounded SOMEWHERE but I'm uncertain as to where with the most obvious choice not actually being the proper one.

For static purpose I've ran a desoldering wick through the VACs hose and attached the end to a lead connected to a 220V Ground Plug - Should I do the same for the shielding of cables? Run an extra cable to a Plugs Grounding Pin?

Thanks in advance! =)
    All you have done is create an antenna and shield has to be terminated direct at the point of entry, or direct to a Ground plane, you can not add tail to a shield and expect it to work, it will just carry that noise somewhere else here are some gide lines on how to terminate a shield

Mounting you electrical parts on the wall does not help and you need a metal Ground Plane ( Metal mounting plate that is Grounded )

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need advice on wiring...-grounding-shields-3-png   Need advice on wiring...-grounding-shields-6-jpg   Need advice on wiring...-grounding-shields-7-png   Need advice on wiring...-shield-clamp-3-png  

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I second the need for some kind of metalic mounting plate, if no enclosure is going to be used, I also see component/equipment frames which appear not earth grounded, Ideally you would set up a star point ground point where the service earth conductor is connected.
    All equipment earth conductors would terminate there including the Motor frame ground and the metallic structure of the router should also be grounded.
    Al..

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.