Quick220 for a 220v outlet?

Thread: Quick220 for a 220v outlet?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Quick220 for a 220v outlet?

So I've been looking around at spindle options for my CNC router. I'm in the US so all the outlets in my house are 110v, but I'd like to have the option of getting one of the high powered spindles. I'm really looking at the chinese 1.5kw and 2.2kw spindles. I've read that to really get the best use out of them you want the 220v versions. Installing a 220v outlet isnt really an option for me because I rent. I've also read that transformers aren't feasible. I could be completely wrong, but if I remember correctly they would draw too much amperage?

So I eventually found these guys:

220 and 240 Voltage Converters for Everyday Use

Looks like it has 2 plugs that go into 110v outlets and it gives you a 220v outlet. Would something like this be an option for a 220v spindle? Any insight/feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Quick220 for a 220v outlet?

Those are pricey. Do you have an electric dryer outlet anywhere near your machine? Plugging into that would be a much cheaper option.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm considering a few different things. I found some dryer outlet splitters that I could plug into, but I'd have to keep the door to the garage open which is a problem. I could also set it up in my room and run the cord from there, but that's like... 150 feet of extension cord to get to my room from the laundry room. I'm also hesitant to keep it in the garage at all due to the heat. I live in Florida so it can get over 100 degrees in the garage during the summer and I'm not sure what the drivers and stepper motors are rated for, but in my experience with 3d printers you don't want to go over 40C. It'd be fine in the off months though. If I did keep it in the garage I could probably talk my landlord into letting me install a 240v outlet.

So many things to consider. Sigh. I JUST WANNA CUT WOOD AND MAKE STUFF.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kskiff7034 View Post
    I'm considering a few different things. I found some dryer outlet splitters that I could plug into, but I'd have to keep the door to the garage open which is a problem. I could also set it up in my room and run the cord from there, but that's like... 150 feet of extension cord to get to my room from the laundry room. I'm also hesitant to keep it in the garage at all due to the heat. I live in Florida so it can get over 100 degrees in the garage during the summer and I'm not sure what the drivers and stepper motors are rated for, but in my experience with 3d printers you don't want to go over 40C. It'd be fine in the off months though. If I did keep it in the garage I could probably talk my landlord into letting me install a 240v outlet.

So many things to consider. Sigh. I JUST WANNA CUT WOOD AND MAKE STUFF.
    That cable ( 150 feet ) would be to long to do what you want to do 15 to 20 feet would be the max and then you would need a heavy cable

It would depend on the Power supply you have if you can install a 220v outlet there may not be enough supply or space in the panel for the 2 pole Breaker

The biggest you could run on your 120v supply is 1.5Kw it is a push but can be done you will still need a 25A 120v outlet to do this, you can get a Transformer from Amazon 2000w or 2500w this will have 120v in and 240V out and others have done this before and it works so you can have a 220V VFD and 1.5Kw 220v spindle

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Your best bet is to check with the landlord. If they don't go for it express you are willing to pay for the new outlet to be done by a qualified electrician, there is a good chance they will go for it. If that doesn't work...

In the US, all our standard outlets are 110vac but that is derived from 220vac. If you can find two 110v circuits on different legs of the 220v, using the hot lines from each will give you 220v. It is easy to check with an ac voltmeter, you will either have 0 volts across the hots (same leg) or 220 volts (different legs). Don't forget to check the circuits for the lights. If you aren't familiar with working with ac, get a knowledgeable friend to help or read up on working safely with ac. Ideally you want two circuits that aren't used by any other devices at the same time as you want to run the machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by seanano View Post
    Your best bet is to check with the landlord. If they don't go for it express you are willing to pay for the new outlet to be done by a qualified electrician, there is a good chance they will go for it. If that doesn't work...

In the US, all our standard outlets are 110vac but that is derived from 220vac. If you can find two 110v circuits on different legs of the 220v, using the hot lines from each will give you 220v. It is easy to check with an ac voltmeter, you will either have 0 volts across the hots (same leg) or 220 volts (different legs). Don't forget to check the circuits for the lights. If you aren't familiar with working with ac, get a knowledgeable friend to help or read up on working safely with ac. Ideally you want two circuits that aren't used by any other devices at the same time as you want to run the machine.
    Just a small correction the standard outlets in NA are 120v or 240v split phase for single phase use, 110v has not been the standard since1967, now if you are at the end of a long line somewhere you may get 110v but this is not normal for NA supply

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kskiff7034 View Post
    Three hundred dollars for two power cords and a socket??? Seriously???

Downloads
    Uploads

You're right that a transformer won't work, as a 15A outlet only has 1.8kW, which obviously won't power a 2.2kW spindle (and will have trouble with a 1.5kW spindle because of power factor and efficiency losses.) With that box you linked, you still will need to find 2 out of phase outlets that are close enough to each other to plug that thing in, and close enough to where you want to run your router not to need a ridiculous extension cord.
    Do you have an electric oven/range? Those typically are on a 50A, 240V circuit.

Downloads
    Uploads

I wonder when the US might consider switching to 240V (and maybe adopting the metric system while at it)? 1.8kW per branch is not quite enough by today's standards. Heck, my electric tea kettle alone needs 2.2kW...

Downloads
    Uploads

We already have 240V.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I assume that is 240v for every duplex style, socket, my Kettle heats up the plug and cord on 120v.
    I don't think it will happen any time soon, too much confusion caused if implemented unfortunately.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Seems like building code is just going to more 20A circuits. Microwaves (at least the range hood type) are supposed to have a dedicated 20A circuit now, and I think refrigerators are as well. In the kitchen and space heaters are really the only places common 15A plugs are a problem for 'normal' people.