Please help! Using G540 & Chinese Spindle Controller

Thread: Please help! Using G540 & Chinese Spindle Controller

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Please help! Using G540 & Chinese Spindle Controller

I have been a member here for some time. I have always found great information on this board. I am now stuck on how to light up a spindle. I have a 2'x2' cnc router with a box stock 400W Chinese spindle (see attached) and a DC12-60 Spindle Controller that I want to get running. I have rebuilt the controller with a G540 and UC100 running under Mach3. All of my Axis are running. I realize that the spindle is not 3PH brushless and can not use VFD.

Can I run this two wire spindle with the G540 and this controller card. The card has PWM and GND connections labled "Mach3" If yes How do I do it?

Any help would be appreciated as I have been searching for an answer for days.

Thks,

Kim

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please help! Using G540 & Chinese Spindle Controller-400w-spindle-jpg  
    Last edited by KDoherty; 09-26-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Please help! Using G540 & Chinese Spindle Controller

do you have a link to the manual
    or a clear photo of the control board showing the lables printed on the board ?

my first thought is to either connect the three G540 PWM terminals
    to DC12-60 Spindle Controller potentiometer like this

Please help! Using G540 & Chinese Spindle Controller-g540-motor-drive2-jpg

just make sure the maximum voltage across the DC12-60 Spindle Controller potentiometer terminals
    is no more than 12V

G540 PDF manual
    G540 REV8 Manual.pdf

from the G540 PDF manual page 4

"ANALOG OUTPUT: This is a 0V to +10V opto-isolated analog output intended for use with VFD drives. VFD OUT goes to 0VDC while the G540 is disabled. Connect VFD GND, VFD OUT and VFD +10V to the VFD drive inputs. Make sure the VFD drive positive voltage does not exceed +12VDC. Do not short VFD OUT to any other terminal. Do not reverse polarity to VFD GND and VFD +10V or the G540 may be damaged "

or

a G540 output and a 5V power supply to the DC12-60 Spindle Controller GND & PWM

Please help! Using G540 & Chinese Spindle Controller-g540-spindle-control-board-pwm-jpg

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by john-100 View Post
    do you have a link to the manual
    or a clear photo of the control board showing the lables printed on the board ?

my first thought is to either connect the three G540 PWM terminals
    to DC12-60 Spindle Controller potentiometer like this

Please help! Using G540 & Chinese Spindle Controller-g540-motor-drive2-jpg

just make sure the maximum voltage across the DC12-60 Spindle Controller potentiometer terminals
    is no more than 12V

John
    John,

Thank you for your response. I have tried the option above with no success. (This does not mean that it is not the right option just that I do not know how to get it to work) The voltage across the two outside pins was 5V. I am not sure how to measure the voltage of the right most pin. There are two LED's on the board and LED1 would normally light up when the 48V source was applied. After attaching the three leads to the G540 and powering the system up, the LED does not light. There is no voltage on the motor side and I have never seen LED2 light up.I have tried to follow the MACH3 setup manual and the G540 Manual as far as Ports and Pins, Inputs, Outputs and Spindle configuration. (Though they could be wrong by just one setting and I am guessing this would not work). Also not sure how to tell if the controller board is completely functional (although it should be) I will try to pick up a 5V power supply tomorrow and test the other option. Nothing blew up and the controller board only got warm, I do not think I am getting anything on the motor side of the board. (no voltage at the connectors)

All suggestions welcome. (I don't even play an EE on Television :-)

Thks
    Kim.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please help! Using G540 & Chinese Spindle Controller-dc12-60vgimp-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

with only 5V across the outer two pins of the potentiometer

the supply to the G540 PWM to analogue circuit may be too low for the circuit to work

it looks like the second option will be the best solution

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

John

Thanks for all your help. I ended up ordering another (same) spindle controller with a pot (just to ensure that it was not the fault of the controller) and it works fine. The spindle is limited to 12,000 rpm anyway so it will almost always be run at full speed. I now have a 5V dc power supply and will try the other suggestions.

Thanks
    Kim