Need Help! Spindle starts to spoil up then stops....New Build

Thread: Spindle starts to spoil up then stops....New Build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Spindle starts to spoil up then stops....New Build

I've been working on a DIY cnc router for about 9 months now. I am now to the point of final wiring and the test drive! been a long road...I have a 3kw air cooled Huanyang VFD and spindle from Longs.....I have had them for a few months and haven't messed with them until now, now that's it time to get them going. I did all the VFD programing prior to plugging in the spindle. I got the programming info from a thread off CNCzone. The vfd acted just as the thread described. so I then plugged the spindle in and it started to spoil up then it just stopped about 1200 rpms and did nothing until I hit stop and it would spin a little bit on the way back to full stop. I tried it with and without the ground attached..same result either way. I tried all the combo's with the hot wires and it simply changed the direction of spin at one point, as one would expect. When setting up the Vfd I was looking over the spindle to get the max MHz (300) and I noticed on the plate that at the top it said Spindle and over to the right of that it said Fail.....I know what the means here in the states....did they send me a bad spindle?...…...or am I just missing some obvious thing that i'm not doing? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated....

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle starts to spoil up then stops....New Build

You most likely have the wrong settings in the VFD, and you may have already damaged the spindle.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

my settings:
    PD001 -0
    002-0
    003 - 300
    004 - 300
    005 - 300
    008 - 220
    009 - 15
    010 - 8
    011 - 200
    014 - 12
    015 - 12
    070 - 0
    072 - 300
    141 - 220
    142 - 8.6
    144- 3000
    From what I've read these should be within the operating values, but I am not sure if this is a complete list of all the things that need to be changed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey930 View Post
    I've been working on a DIY cnc router for about 9 months now. I am now to the point of final wiring and the test drive! been a long road...I have a 3kw air cooled Huanyang VFD and spindle from Longs.....I have had them for a few months and haven't messed with them until now, now that's it time to get them going. I did all the VFD programing prior to plugging in the spindle. I got the programming info from a thread off CNCzone. The vfd acted just as the thread described. so I then plugged the spindle in and it started to spoil up then it just stopped about 1200 rpms and did nothing until I hit stop and it would spin a little bit on the way back to full stop. I tried it with and without the ground attached..same result either way. I tried all the combo's with the hot wires and it simply changed the direction of spin at one point, as one would expect. When setting up the Vfd I was looking over the spindle to get the max MHz (300) and I noticed on the plate that at the top it said Spindle and over to the right of that it said Fail.....I know what the means here in the states....did they send me a bad spindle?...…...or am I just missing some obvious thing that i'm not doing? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated....
    You could have a lot of things wrong, what voltage are you using and how do you have it wired ??

You never want to change the wiring around on these VFD Drives they have to be wired correct

Parameters also have to be set correct to suit your spindle, so what are your spindle spec's ??

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

my settings:
    PD001 -0
    002-0
    003 - 300
    004 - 300
    005 - 300
    008 - 220
    009 - 15
    010 - 8
    011 - 200
    014 - 12
    015 - 12
    070 - 0
    072 - 300
    141 - 220
    142 - 8.6
    144- 3000
    From what I've read these should be within the operating values, but I am not sure if this is a complete list of all the things that need to be changed.
    If this is all you set you are missing some that need to be set, these Parameters I have posted won't solve the problem if your wiring is incorrect, need to know how you have it wired

Huanyang Mactec54

3Kw Air Cooled 18,000 RPM

PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control )
    ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Terminal Control )

PD003=300

PD004=300

PD005=300

PD006=15

PD007=20

PD008=220

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD011=150 ( Adjust for your Spindle Minimum Speed, Watch for over Heating )

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings

PD014 Acceleration=10 ( Adjust to suit)

PD015 Deceleration=10 (Adjust to suit)

( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage )

PD142= 12 ( Motor Max Amps)

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM)

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v )

PD72=300

PD73=150 ( Adjust for your Spindle Minimum Speed Watch For Over Heating )

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the response mactec….I have hot wires from the source (220) to R & S and neutral to T, and the ground to the earth ground at the far right...3 hot wires from U, V & W to the spindle going to pin 1,2 & 3......4 is empty and ground to the ground pin.....I'm going to go back through my settings and compare to what you have.....My real fear is that the motor is smoked because after it spins for just a few seconds it sounds like its still trying to spool up but nothing is happening...and on top of that the motor has fail on the plate and appears maybe it didn't pass a inspection of some type but was sold anyway...but i'm hoping its something like a setting.....i'll check..

Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec you nailed it.....pd06....was wrong on my setup and the minimum speed pd73 was wrong on my setup....put those in and went back through all of the settings again and tried it and it spooled right up.....thank you !!! now i'm on to wiring into the breakout board so I can run it from mach 3....thanks again

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the response mactec….I have hot wires from the source (220) to R & S and neutral to T, and the ground to the earth ground at the far right...3 hot wires from U, V & W to the spindle going to pin 1,2 & 3......4 is empty and ground to the ground pin.....I'm going to go back through my settings and compare to what you have.....My real fear is that the motor is smoked because after it spins for just a few seconds it sounds like its still trying to spool up but nothing is happening...and on top of that the motor has fail on the plate and appears maybe it didn't pass a inspection of some type but was sold anyway...but i'm hoping its something like a setting.....i'll check..
    No you can not wire it like that Yon need to remove the Neutral 240v NA does not use a Neutral so you should be connected ( R Hot ) and ( T Hot ) and the Ground ( Green wire to the Ground Terminal )

Now for your spindle the 4 Pin has to be connected inside the spindle to the body there is a good example of this on another post here https://www.cnczone.com/forums/finel...c-forum-2.html Post 23

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec you nailed it.....pd06....was wrong on my setup and the minimum speed pd73 was wrong on my setup....put those in and went back through all of the settings again and tried it and it spooled right up.....thank you !!! now i'm on to wiring into the breakout board so I can run it from mach 3....thanks again
    No you have to correct the main wiring first before something does go wrong

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

ok, sorry for the delay there, had some household junk to do.....ok I will remove the neutral and check out the #4 pin example and do that to...before I fire it up again....the router plug has been the biggest nightmare there is very little info on wiring it out there....I just copied the wiring on the vfd off a couple of pics from the net....why no neutral?.....just curious, i'm fine with removing it just like to know as much as I can about it....which is why I chose to build instead of buy in the first place..

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok I looked at all the photo's on that thread, so you are grounding the #4 pin to the body of the router and not back to the ground on the vfd? Again am good with doing this to, again just curious....have done this type of grounding on some other larger tools before when I had no other grounding options

Downloads
    Uploads

240V does not use a neutral. It's just two hot wires.

The pin4 ground wire on the spindle does connect to the ground terminal on the VFD.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

ok, sorry for the delay there, had some household junk to do.....ok I will remove the neutral and check out the #4 pin example and do that to...before I fire it up again....the router plug has been the biggest nightmare there is very little info on wiring it out there....I just copied the wiring on the vfd off a couple of pics from the net....why no neutral?.....just curious, i'm fine with removing it just like to know as much as I can about it....which is why I chose to build instead of buy in the first place..
    That is why coping things from the net could have damaged your motor or drive, other countries don't have the same power system as NA they only have ( 1 Hot ) for 220v / 240v supply then they have to use a Neutral

Because 240v NA supply is a split phase, ( answer in it's simplest form ) each hot takes turns at being the neutral, if you don't remove it, this connection has been know to damage the VFD Drive, only 120v NA supply uses a Neutral

If you are using the right shielded cable from the VFD to the Spindle then you will have 4 wires 3 Hot wires and ( 1 ) Ground wire this Ground wire connects to the VFD Ground and the 4th Pin in you plug, and then you mod the spindle plug Ground as others have done, this must be connected for the Spindle to VFD Ground connection to be complete

Mactec54