Huanyang 4kw Goes POP! Any Ideas?

Thread: Huanyang 4kw Goes POP! Any Ideas?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Huanyang 4kw Goes POP! Any Ideas?

I have a 4kw Huanyang VFD, single phase in to a 5hp old planer. I only have a one 220v out let in my garage, a 30amp dryer outlet, that is used by several tools.

I typically flip the breaker off, plug in the VFD, turn break on, it boots up and then I hit Run and use the planer.

Saturday I didn't do the breaker, I just plugged it into the wall, it booted up and about 1 minute later a loud POP and it was dead. I took it apart and found nothing burnt.

My dad came by, 40+ year contractor and does his own electrical, and we wired it up again without the ground on a terminal and Popped again. I don't know what that means but my dad thought it was fun

Any ideas? I personally think sawdust got inside. I didn't have it covered like planned to do.

I plan on ordering another one but this time I want to add a toggle switch to turn the VFD on AFTER I plug it into the wall. How do I add a toggle on/off switch?

https://preview.ibb.co/dOafZo/7145_F...C194_D70_C.jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Huanyang 4kw Goes POP! Any Ideas?

Sounds co-incidental, As to the plugging in or plugging in and turning the breaker on, shouldn't make any difference, when I was experimenting with a Huanyang and the RS485 I did this all the time to disconnect/connect with no ill result.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Psychbiker View Post
    I have a 4kw Huanyang VFD, single phase in to a 5hp old planer. I only have a one 220v out let in my garage, a 30amp dryer outlet, that is used by several tools.

I typically flip the breaker off, plug in the VFD, turn break on, it boots up and then I hit Run and use the planer.

Saturday I didn't do the breaker, I just plugged it into the wall, it booted up and about 1 minute later a loud POP and it was dead. I took it apart and found nothing burnt.

My dad came by, 40+ year contractor and does his own electrical, and we wired it up again without the ground on a terminal and Popped again. I don't know what that means but my dad thought it was fun

Any ideas? I personally think sawdust got inside. I didn't have it covered like planned to do.

I plan on ordering another one but this time I want to add a toggle switch to turn the VFD on AFTER I plug it into the wall. How do I add a toggle on/off switch?

Your wiring does not look correct, make sure that you don't have the Neutral wire connected for 240v NA your connection should be 1 Hot on R and the other Hot on T and the Ground connected to the Ground terminal Check that the Ground Terminal is Ground this should be connected to the heat sink of the VFD Drive

You also need a shielded cable for U V W an Ground so a 4 core cable with a shield that is correctly terminated

And no you should not be plugging and unplugging the VFD drive it tells you this in any VFD manual, you can use a MCCB to turn it off and on, your Ground wire is not the correct size also for an installation like this , your wiring in general is very poor quality and would not pass any kind of inspection, the VFD should be mounted on a metal plate that is also the Ground plane

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Huanyang 4kw Goes POP! Any Ideas?-pluggin-unplugging-vfd-drive-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Electrically I see absolutely no difference between switching with a NFB etc and plugging into a socket, particularly 1ph where the circuit is not completed until both conductors are made, I would be interested to the exact theory behind the notice.
    Also when a contactor is used it is identical.
    As I said, I have done this on numerous occasions.
    As with quite a few things in the Huanyang manuals they don't always make any sense.
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Your wiring does not look correct, make sure that you don't have the Neutral wire connected for 240v NA your connection should be 1 Hot on R and the other Hot on T and the Ground connected to the Ground terminal Check that the Ground Terminal is Ground this should be connected to the heat sink of the VFD Drive

You also need a shielded cable for U V W an Ground so a 4 core cable with a shield that is correctly terminated

And no you should not be plugging and unplugging the VFD drive it tells you this in any VFD manual, you can use a MCCB to turn it off and on, your Ground wire is not the correct size also for an installation like this , your wiring in general is very poor quality and would not pass any kind of inspection, the VFD should be mounted on a metal plate that is also the Ground plane
    I don't understand what you mean by my wiring is wrong. If you can explain in more detail. He is my explanation of wiring below.

The planer worked, powered up, ran several hundred feet of wood through it several times no problem. Been using it for 6 months.

I followed several wiring documentations but will admit, I may be wrong. If it were wrong, I do think it would have failed or not worked before.

How I have it wired:

UVM - the far right wires go to the motor. Forget which one, but the planer initially rotated the wrong way. I swapped one of them and it rotated the correct way.

Ground: Solid copper wire from the VFD on the ground terminal going to a bare metal section of the planer
    R: Hot lead from my dryer outlet
    S: Hot lead from my dryer out
    T: blank

I'm supplying this VFD with 220 single phase by the way.

Aside from not using VFD cable or conduit in that small 1 foot section from VFD to motor, I don't see what is wrong with the connections. I also don't have room for a wall mounted box for the VFD as I the VFD is also my start and stop. I've also seen many installs like mine. The way my garage is setup, I don't have space to mount this on the wall either. I'm in a small garage and the planer is occasionally used, like few times a month. How else would I connect the wires to the terminals without using the open fork connectors? 10 gauge barely fit as it is.

Any idea how to wire a toggle start/stop? This would allow me to plug in the vfd then hit the toggle switch to turn it on.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just to confirm, are you using the service ground conductor from the dryer outlet to the VFD?
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Just to confirm, are you using the service ground conductor from the dryer outlet to the VFD?
    Al.
    Yes. That's the far left green wire coming from my dryer outlet (power). There's also a ground wire underneath that that goes to the frame of planer.

Downloads
    Uploads

For a DP disconnect you can get a Leviton MS302-DS 30 Amp, 600 Volt, Double- Pole, Single Phase AC Motor Starter, Suitable as Motor Disconnect, Industrial Grade,
    Available at H.D. or any electrical supplier or Amazon.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

if you made a poor connection as the plug was inserted into a live socket
    its possible any arcing produced transient voltages that damaged either EMI filter components or hidden power devices

the 4 Metal Oxide Varistors { MOV } outlined in red are designed to absorb transient voltages but are very often damaged in the process

Huanyang 4kw Goes POP! Any Ideas?-check-four-movs-jpg

when the MOV fail they can blow fuses or trip circuit breakers and the equipment work normally when the power is restored until they fail again

if you can,
    use a torch to see under the PCB if you can
    to look for damage to the semiconductors outlined in yellow and PCB tracks

before removing the PCB from the heat sink

Huanyang 4kw Goes POP! Any Ideas?-check-devices-pcb-marked-yellow-jpg

watch out the 4 large capacitors can hold a charge for a while
    rectified 220V AC will charge them up to 320V DC

John

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't understand what you mean by my wiring is wrong. If you can explain in more detail. He is my explanation of wiring below.

The planer worked, powered up, ran several hundred feet of wood through it several times no problem. Been using it for 6 months.

I followed several wiring documentations but will admit, I may be wrong. If it were wrong, I do think it would have failed or not worked before.

How I have it wired:

UVM - the far right wires go to the motor. Forget which one, but the planer initially rotated the wrong way. I swapped one of them and it rotated the correct way.

Ground: Solid copper wire from the VFD on the ground terminal going to a bare metal section of the planer
    R: Hot lead from my dryer outlet
    S: Hot lead from my dryer out
    T: blank

I'm supplying this VFD with 220 single phase by the way.

Aside from not using VFD cable or conduit in that small 1 foot section from VFD to motor, I don't see what is wrong with the connections. I also don't have room for a wall mounted box for the VFD as I the VFD is also my start and stop. I've also seen many installs like mine. The way my garage is setup, I don't have space to mount this on the wall either. I'm in a small garage and the planer is occasionally used, like few times a month. How else would I connect the wires to the terminals without using the open fork connectors? 10 gauge barely fit as it is.

Any idea how to wire a toggle start/stop? This would allow me to plug in the vfd then hit the toggle switch to turn it on.
    Just a simple switch with an amp rating to suit will do

The recommended connections are R and T for this VFD Drive, they can be wired R and S but R and T have had the best reliably

Your Ground wire is not suitable for wiring this type of equipment, you should never use a solid copper wire for this type of installation

Your connection is 240v if you live in NA

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

The pre-charge circuitry could have failed. then when the relay turns on, the pop you heard is the contacts exploding. they could have welded shut. as for why it didn't power up, i don't know.

the second pop you heard powering it up the second time could have been the diodes exploding due to the inrush current from the welded relay contacts.

If the unit has 300 volts on the dc bus and it does not power up, then its probably toast, buy a new one. if it does not have voltage on the dc bus then you can either try and fix the pre-charge circuitry and replace the relay, or you can replace the pre-charge circuitry and the relay with some NTC resistors appropriately sized.

anyhow before you put any effort into it, charge the dc bus up to 300 volts and see if it powers up and turns on (use a lightbulb as a load to see if the igbts are good). if not then the fault is elsewhere.

your vfd doesn't care which of the terminals you connect single phase power to.

Downloads
    Uploads

Do I see discoloring on the low voltage terminal strip?

Are there any wire strands joining your terminals?

This may sound strange but how does the VFD boards smell?
    Does is smell acrid?
    Where?

Through just my nose, I was able to track down two bad diodes on a circuit board.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    For a DP disconnect you can get a Leviton MS302-DS 30 Amp, 600 Volt, Double- Pole, Single Phase AC Motor Starter, Suitable as Motor Disconnect, Industrial Grade,
    Available at H.D. or any electrical supplier or Amazon.
    Al.
    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Just a simple switch with an amp rating to suit will do

The recommended connections are R and T for this VFD Drive, they can be wired R and S but R and T have had the best reliably

Your Ground wire is not suitable for wiring this type of equipment, you should never use a solid copper wire for this type of installation

Your connection is 240v if you live in NA
    Instead of solid copper ground, what should I use? I plan to run the wire from the VFD to motor in conduit. I'll also run the hot to the R & T as several people I've read state to do that as well.

As for the Leviton switch, I'll check the manual to see but don't understand where it's wired and the function. Will this allow me to unplug and plug into wall, then flip the switch to turn the VFD on? If that's the case, I still nee to use the Run and Stop to turn the planer on and off?

Is there a way to add a switch BEFORE the Vfd to essentially turn the planer on and off?

I do plan to get some more 220s ran in my garage which will be a godsend. My sawstop, jointer, planer, and dryer all need to be plugged and unplugged to be used. It's a hassle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Instead of solid copper ground, what should I use? I plan to run the wire from the VFD to motor in conduit. I'll also run the hot to the R & T as several people I've read state to do that as well.

As for the Leviton switch, I'll check the manual to see but don't understand where it's wired and the function. Will this allow me to unplug and plug into wall, then flip the switch to turn the VFD on? If that's the case, I still nee to use the Run and Stop to turn the planer on and off?

Is there a way to add a switch BEFORE the Vfd to essentially turn the planer on and off?

I do plan to get some more 220s ran in my garage which will be a godsend. My sawstop, jointer, planer, and dryer all need to be plugged and unplugged to be used. It's a hassle.
    Stranded, the Ground wire should be as large as the regular power cable or larger , what you had is way to small compared to the Hot wires

Your switch should be mounted before the VFD

This switch can only be used to turn On / Off the VFD, You Can Not Use This Switch To Turn OFF Your Machine you will damage the VFD if you do this

If you are using Metalized flexible Conduit, then you can just twist the 3 Hot wires together and have the Ground wire by its self in the Conduit

Your Ground wire also needs to be Connected to the motor Ground not just attached to your machine

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Huanyang 4kw Goes POP! Any Ideas?-conduit-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I was advised to unplug any appliances before turning on my breaker. Apparently turning on your breaker can cause a power surge which breaks your electronics..., or something like that...

I don't know if that is your issue but I thought it worth mentioning...

I installed a Siemens 60amp power on / off switch (it's more of a handle) for my spindle. It seemed more convenient than pulling the plug to turn it off every time.

Also, it seems like Huanyang products have a relatively high failiure rate. I factored that into my thinking when I bought my Huanyang VFD....

Downloads
    Uploads

Check the 4 large electrolytic capacitors. Any break-down in the internal dielectric of the capacitor will cause arching and the popping sound.

Hope this helps,

Iron-Man