Spindle Questions Dujour

Thread: Spindle Questions Dujour

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Spindle Questions Dujour

I have a 110volt Huanyang Spindle motor and VFD, the "2.2KW" one.
    (I wanted the larger because it has ER20, you know, for 1/2 router bits. I don't mind limiting the current on it. Anyway...)

A few things bother me....

1.) For single phase power, the manual does not seem to specify as far as RST, if any of them are connected to ground. I should think none should be. I may check with a DMM, but the manual should state one way or another. In other words, is there one of R,S,T that should be neutral? I just don't want to create a similar situation as when using a grounded oscilloscope to check the mains--on an outlet that's hooked up backwards.

The manual only states: "R.S.T input current If the single phase meets two willfully."

Sometimes, I see the neutral/white connected to R.

2.) I am assuming that the motor ground is okay to also ground the VFD, as in mains/earth (star) ground, but I hate assuming.

3.) My whole machine frame is grounded, and the cart it rode in on. It appears that my spindle motor ground terminal is not connected to ground. I've seen a few reports that state that theirs is not grounded. For testing, I may not open the motor to correct this, though my machine frame is indeed grounded. I will have some thinking to do: warranty VS safety. Perhaps a wire to the motor clamp or external 4-pin plug would serve not to void the warranty for fixing an issue that should have been done at the factory. I am leery of a intermittent ground creating noise in the system, or causing a shock risk.

4.) I do want a all-hell-breaks-loose E-stop I have a 15 AMP industrial relay. I can even bridge them for 30 amps of contacts. Will the switching noise harm the VFD if used for the VFD AC 110v input? It would only be turned on once per session, akin to plugging it in an outlet. There will be an industrial common-mode choke between the relay and the VFD.

5.) Nowhere does my 110v 2.2kw 8.5 amp 400hz motor state how many poles are on it. Sigh.

6.) I know that the VFD must be set for 400hz, but the frequency section of the manual is vague at best, which is amazing given to how important this is, as far as the difference between "main" (not mains) frequency, base frequency, and max frequency. Often, I see all three of these set to the motor frequency of 400hz.

7.) I've not sure what the minimum frequency is for 110v water cooled for a 2.2k motor. I would like to go safe but low--even if the current must be lowered.

Anyway, I am going to still RTFM, but Huanyang needs to hire someone who knows how to write.

Until then, any help would be appreciated. I see numerous threads and videos; many of them conflict one another--even with the same hardware.

Thank you,
    brendaem

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by BrendaEM; 06-20-2018 at 12:12 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle Questions Dujour

I contacted the seller, who stated that the 110v 2.2kw 200x80 ER20 motor has two poles.
    I would have felt better seeing a factory spec sheet.

I am not sure what to do about the ground wire. I can check to see if the motor is grounded to the rest of the machine. There are two problems with opening the motor; it's water cooled, and so, if I don't have the right sealer, it will leak. The second problem is: it may void the warranty. As a work around, I could run a ground wire to one of the external screws which hold plug socket on.

BTW, the plug used in these motors is not great. The pins could only accommodate a 14-gauge wire, which is what I have. There are two other problems with the connector. The cap is too short, and so, it's difficult to use heat-shrink with this connector. The second problem is the hole in the cap can't accommodate very large cable. I have (for now) non-shielded 4-wire 14-gauge cable. It being cable, it has a jacket which barely fits through the cap.

Downloads
    Uploads

The manual has issues: it often does not state what settings pertain to: motor voltages, motor frequency, VFD source supply, VFD source frequency, PWM voltages, PWM frequency.

The manual is crap.

I've been looking at information from several sources, this seems to be the consensus for my motor 2.2k, 110v, though I am lowering the current a bit for plug-in use.

Motor Initial Test Setup
    PD001 = 0 Source of run commands will be built-in VFD panel control
    PD002 = 0 Source of operating frequency will be built-in VFD panel control
    PD003 = 400 Motor main frequency - Hz
    PD004 = 400 Motor base frequency - Hz
    PD005 = 400 Motor max operating frequency - Hz
    PD006 = 2.5 Intermediate frequency - Hz
    PD007 = 0.5 Low-end frequency: 0.5 Hz
    PD008 = 110 Max motor voltage - V
    PD009 = 15 Intermediate voltage - V
    PD010 = 8 Minimum voltage - V
    PD023 = 1 Disable reverse rotation of spindle
    PD011 = 100 Motor Frequency lower limit - Hz
    PD141 = 110 Rated motor voltage according to motor name plate. This is the motor’s maximum voltage - V
    PD142 = 7 Rated motor current - Amps, lowered from 8.5 for standard receptacle - A
    PD143 = 2 Motor number of poles
    PD144 = 3000 Rated motor revolution multiplier for readout - Conflicting Explanations
    Might be: Minimum Voltage, PD010 = 8
    Might be: How many times the motor should rotate in one minute at 50Hz.

Adding RS-285
    PD001 = 2 Source of run commands to communication port
    PD002 = 2 Source of operating frequency to communication port
    PD163 = 1 VFD Address
    PD164 = 1 Baudrate 9600
    PD165 = 3 8bit, No parity, 1 Stopbit, RTU

Downloads
    Uploads

I am at a loss what to do as far as an EStop.

If it is true that the Huanyang VFD will die if it loses power. Then there can be no real emergency stop.
    Oddly because I rent, I will be plugging in the machine, anyway.

I am a little dismayed that, as VFDs have migrated from industrial situations, to more small shop uses, our expectations have not risen, in that no consumer would tolerate an electrical appliance that can be destroyed by unplugging it. Before you cite cases, please remember that many appliances have automatic speed controls in them, and don't fail when unplugged, such as a Dremil tool, though they are brushed, but you get the point.

A more interesting situation exists in that if the VFD becomes corrupted in the WFO (Wide F'n Open) state, people would just accept that there is no way to turn it off without an insulated axe?
    I am sure that OSHA cares about E-Stops.

Anyway, I am not sure what to do.
    I want the the VFD physical controls to work.
    I want to be able to run the motor from RS485 via LinuxCNC.
    I want an Estop.

Perhaps for the Estop, I can use the RST pin, and set the pin for Estop instead of stop, which might changed it from NO to NC.