Need Help! Chinese spindle and VFD - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chinese spindle and VFD

ericks

Default Re: Chinese spindle and VFD

Your tester should be on the ohm scale....leads in com and ohm/omega. You going to test for resistance

Chinese spindle and VFD-test1-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese spindle and VFD-test1-jpg  

ericks

What are the cable/wire colours to your spindle motor......the ones you had connected to U/V/W??

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    What are the cable/wire colours to your spindle motor......the ones you had connected to U/V/W??
    I was called into work shortly after I woke so its going to be a while before I can perform the test. It will be later today but I will do as you have instructed and update the thread with the results

Downloads
    Uploads

My guess is that your motor has a short between the windings and the frame. Easy enough to check with an ohmmeter as per Ericks' advice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KidKhaos View Post
    KidKhanos
    It is good that you did a Video, to try and help, but what you are showing is an Electrical code violation, I would suggest that you either change your wiring and do a new Video as this is a Bad example of how to wire anything like this

You can not use a Neutral wire ( White wire ) as a Power wire for 240v NA, the Ground also ( PE ) can only be Green or Green / Yellow you can not use any other colored wires for these connections, your Grounding appears to be incorrect also

You can use the White wire, only if you cover it with Black or red shrink sleeves / tubing or tape at both ends of the cable, your Grounds you have to change, or some how cover them also with the correct color

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by msdeltaguy View Post
    Thanks for the video but I have all that correct so far.
    Not if you wired it like he has in the Video, but hopefully you did it correct

There is only 2 things that could be giving you a shock like you have experienced

With your meter check the pins in your spindle

Pin 1 to 2=

Pin 2 to 3=

Pin 3 to 1=

And Pin 4 to Ground ( spindle Body ) this most likely is not connected inside the spindle, and is common with these spindles, to fix this you remove the top cover of the spindle and connect the 4th pin like the photo below

Blow the water out before you remove the top if your spindle is water cooled

The next thing to check is the wires in the plug that you connected and make sure there are nothing that can touch between pins

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese spindle and VFD-ground-wire-2-jpg  
    Mactec54

ericks

I was called into work shortly after I woke so its going to be a while before I can perform the test. It will be later today but I will do as you have instructed and update the thread with the results
    No worries......a was also busy at work, talk later

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post

There is only 2 things that could be giving you a shock like you have experienced

Pin 1 to 2=

Pin 2 to 3=

Pin 3 to 1=

And Pin 4 to Ground ( spindle Body ) this most likely is not connected inside the spindle, and is common with these spindles, to fix this you remove the top cover of the spindle and connect the 4th pin like the photo below

The next thing to check is the wires in the plug that you connected and make sure there are nothing that can touch between pins
    So put my Fluke in Ohms and test pin to pin like you have suggested then report back the results?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post

Pin 1 to 2=

Pin 2 to 3=

Pin 3 to 1=

When i put my meter to measure Ohms im getting a constant reading of 1.7 between the pins you have asked me to measure across. Here is a picture with my cap off the spindle. absolutely no ground wire.Chinese spindle and VFD-spindle-jpg

ericks

When i put my meter to measure Ohms im getting a constant reading of 1.7 between the pins you have asked me to measure across. Here is a picture with my cap off the spindle. absolutely no ground wire.Chinese spindle and VFD-spindle-jpg
    So you have now confirmed that all three windings are okay. Now test between the spindle motor frame and any of the three pins 1/2/3 and report the reading........note not on the cap you removed, measure the main frame of the motor to one of those pins

Downloads
    Uploads

1.4 to 1.7 is a good number

Ground Missing !! this is normal for most of these spindles as they do not use a Ground in China, this helps with population control

So you must attach a Ground like I showed in the Photo, also make sure the cap and the body of the spindle are metal to Metal not paint or gunk on the faces this will make sure you have a good Ground,

The Ground wire also can be attached to the screws that hold the Bearing cover ( next level down in the spindle body ) this can be a better more direct connection than the cap, and the cap would then not need to be cleaned up

Mactec54

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12