cnc spindle and VFD

Thread: cnc spindle and VFD

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: cnc spindle and VFD

Water cooled for sure. You can run the livin daylights out of them without overheating and it's worth the little extra trouble and money to have the noise reduction alone. I run mine in the back room of my house and it barely makes my girlfriend mad haha.

Downloads
    Uploads

95% of the noise is the cutter, not the spindle motor. Air cooled are a bit louder because of the fan blades but nothing like a router. I went with air cooled to avoid the water, pump, hoses etc and am very glad i did. It runs cool and I've had no issues.

Downloads
    Uploads

Depends on what you want to use it for. There is no such thing as "better". They both do their job well. If you want to use it on CF all day then get a water cooled. Otherwise it is up to your preference.

People wrongly use arguments like "air cooled are so noisy" but that's nonsense unless they only run test bench evaluations and milling air, because once you start cutting, even soft plastic, the noise of cutting will kill the noise of the motor, so you won't notice any difference. Some people also claim that water cooled can be run slower. Well, that's also nonsense because air cooled normally have the SAME minimum rpm as water cooled, especially the cheap Chinese eBay spindles. Some people also claim that air cooled run cooler... well, that may be true, depending on your cooling system, but heat is not an issue with air cooled spindles, so why care if the guy next door can run his spindle at 30 degrees Celsius and mine gets up to 40 degrees... Yet another argument for water cooled is dust not blowing around because there is no fan... I am laughing at that every time I see people on Youtube milling wood... Most of those machines look like they are literally covered by wood dust, even the screws/belts/bearings, and never been cleaned. I mill PCB, plastics and aluminium but the dust is NOT blown around because of the fan, but because of the cutting force, and if you are concerned about the dust you should have a dust shoe, regardless if you use air or water cooled spindle.

Get whatever you prefer. I bought air cooled because I did not want to mess around with cooling systems and pump and risking a leaking spindle (not uncommon). Also the installation is CONSIDERABLY simpler. No regrets after over two years, would chose that today as well. I use mine between 5k rpm and 24k rpm and never ever noticed any heat problems. Never regarded dust as an issue, but I have a dust shoe, mainly to keep the area tidy since I hate mess and run my CNC in an ordinary home office/hobby room, beside my living room inside my house. I would use a dust shoe even if I had water cooled spindle.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KidKhaos View Post
    Water cooled for sure. You can run the livin daylights out of them without overheating and it's worth the little extra trouble and money to have the noise reduction alone. I run mine in the back room of my house and it barely makes my girlfriend mad haha.
    I run mine a few meters from the living room inside the house and unless I start cutting don't even close my door even if there are people watching TV in the living room. When I start cutting I close the door and everything is OK, unless I cut aluminium, which I normally do during the day only. Spindle noise or heat is not an issue with air cooled spindles, unless you mean Kress or similar. Perhaps you never tried any air cooled...

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com