Which Spindle and VFD... again - Page 9

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Which Spindle and VFD... again

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Which Spindle and VFD... again

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    The relay starts and stops the spindle, by connecting the FWD terminal to the DCM terminal.
    Thanks Gerry.

I finished wiring up the spindle today and was successfully able to get it setup and running thanks to everyone's assistance. I shot a video of the initial setup (actually the second pass) and the tuning process and posted it on youtube for anyone else with a Huanyang GT VFD and similar spindle, hopefully someone finds it useful.

As for the "Shield" since the router didn't provide a termination for the cable I some what cheated and I guess someone will tell me I'm crackers but I attached a short lead to the "shield" wire on the spindle side, shrink wrapped it and ran it out the top of the connector. I plan to attach this to the zplate that the spindle is mounted to and then again at the VFD to ground, other than the ground being used to power the spindle.

It did seem curious to me though that when I was manually adjusting the potentiometer it seemed to surpass the 18K rpm threshold. I'll need to make another pass at it to verify but was curious if that were possible and what would happen it was? I'm guessing that would be an incorrect frequency setup somehow in the FVD??

I guess there's only one real way to find out and that's to try it...

Many thanks for all the input on the subject, now onto wiring up Mach3 and the G540.

Adam,

G540, Rack and Pinion Drives-X/Y axis, 1/2-Ball Screw-Z Axis w/THK HSR 25 Linear Slides, Steppers KL23H2100-35-4B, Power Supply-KL-600-48

ericks

Well done....you making great progress

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    Well done....you making great progress
    Thanks.

I had one other question in regard to powering on/off the VFD.. when I plug the VFD into the wall it powers on how should I power it on only when I need to use it?

I assume that is also controlled by a relay - is there a wiring diagram around for that?

Adam,

G540, Rack and Pinion Drives-X/Y axis, 1/2-Ball Screw-Z Axis w/THK HSR 25 Linear Slides, Steppers KL23H2100-35-4B, Power Supply-KL-600-48

Downloads
    Uploads

It should be wired to power on when you power up the machine, and down when you turn the machine off. You don't turn it on and off just when you want to run the spindle.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

ericks

It will all depend on how you plan to make your control system. Best to turn the drive on when you power up your control panel. Mine is powered up a few seconds after i power up my control panel....i am using a 30A relay.

ericks

Sorry Gerry....i typed while you posted

Downloads
    Uploads

So essentially drive it with a relay at startup...

is there a way to get the fan to come on when its actually hot and not always run... it sounds like a small aircraft powering up.

ericks

You don't really need a relay to power it. It can be powered to come on with the main supply too...

ericks

Your drive might have a parameter to "control" the internal fan. Mine does....otherwise i am sure someone have done a conversion on it already

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by adam_m View Post
    Thanks.

I had one other question in regard to powering on/off the VFD.. when I plug the VFD into the wall it powers on how should I power it on only when I need to use it?

I assume that is also controlled by a relay - is there a wiring diagram around for that?

Adam,
    Plugging and unplugging is not permitted, it is easy to damage the VFD Drive by doing this most manuals have this, you must have a industrial quality switch between the VFD and the Power Supply Can be a quality Switch or if you want to do it correctly use a MCSB snip below

AS for going over the 18,000 RPM how much over did it go over, this could be that the auto tune over estimated the slip compensation

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which Spindle and VFD... again-pluging-unpluging-png   Which Spindle and VFD... again-abb-jpg   Which Spindle and VFD... again-fuji-jpg   Which Spindle and VFD... again-disconnect-switches-png  

Which Spindle and VFD... again-disconnect-switches-4-png  
    Last edited by mactec54; 12-12-2018 at 09:00 AM.
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

is there a way to get the fan to come on when its actually hot and not always run... it sounds like a small aircraft powering up.
    The fan is to keep the electronics cool, some VFD Drives this is controlled by a thermistor meaning it will self regulate the speed to the amount of cooling it requires, some run all the time and have no control and some only run when the VFD Drive output is drawing current

You could use ( 1 ) of the built in relays to turn the fan on when the drive is running the spindle, but it may need some cooling while it is just sitting with the power on also, you would have to contact the manufacture to see if it needs continuous air flow

Turning a VFD Drive on and off will shorten the life of the drive

Your Grounding of the shield not ideal will not be a problem as your spindle will be away from any sensitive electronics that would be affected by any noise from a poor connection like this, connecting the Ground to the back plate will serve no purpose, it should all end at the spindle Ground and Shield Termination point

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

You do have a Parameter for auto fan control, P8.26

Everything is in your manual even how to do your wiring and shield Grounding

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Mactec54, I'll take another cruise through the manual tonight and look specifically for the fan settings..

About the shield again... since I can't terminate the shield at the spindle plug I thought that at least I could use the backing plate as a return path since its ultimately grounded.. I guess that was a bad assumption. Should I just leave it totally ungrounded then?

Adam,

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You do have a Parameter for auto fan control, P8.26

Everything is in your manual even how to do your wiring and shield Grounding
    Unfortunately I'm not trained in electrical wiring and schematic interpretation which is why I'm hoping to gain some clarity from the forum users.

I did find the fan setting in the manual as you suggested. Can you answer this for me, the manual has options 0 and 1 which I understand but what is the additional information (Setting Range, Factory Setting, Modify, No.) used for, is it just informational?

Which Spindle and VFD... again-326565-jpg

This was my reply from Huanyang on a similar question, which I don't understand?

P8.26 in the case of 0, the S1 terminal and the COM terminal in the closed case, the power on will not work.In most cases, choose "0'.
    In reference to powering on /off the VFD. I plan on using a control panel that I have made that will turn on my G540 and the VFD at the same time. I think I need to use the voltage from the VFD to control a relay that will turn on the VFD, does that make sense? I'm assuming that for this to work I'll need to insert the SSR relay into the NEUTRAL "T" line of the power cord supplying the VFD with power?

Which Spindle and VFD... again-snag-0125-jpg

Am I not thinking about this correctly?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Mactec54, I'll take another cruise through the manual tonight and look specifically for the fan settings..

About the shield again... since I can't terminate the shield at the spindle plug I thought that at least I could use the backing plate as a return path since its ultimately grounded.. I guess that was a bad assumption. Should I just leave it totally ungrounded then?

Adam,
    It needs to be terminated at the spindle, the Back plate would only be Grounded if you had a Ground wire attached to it, there is not a good or true Ground Bonding through Bearings any unnecessary wires out side of the supply cable only act as an antenna for noise distribution

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately I'm not trained in electrical wiring and schematic interpretation which is why I'm hoping to gain some clarity from the forum users.

I did find the fan setting in the manual as you suggested. Can you answer this for me, the manual has options 0 and 1 which I understand but what is the additional information (Setting Range, Factory Setting, Modify, No.) used for, is it just informational?

Which Spindle and VFD... again-326565-jpg

This was my reply from Huanyang on a similar question, which I don't understand?

In reference to powering on /off the VFD. I plan on using a control panel that I have made that will turn on my G540 and the VFD at the same time. I think I need to use the voltage from the VFD to control a relay that will turn on the VFD, does that make sense? I'm assuming that for this to work I'll need to insert the SSR relay into the NEUTRAL "T" line of the power cord supplying the VFD with power?

Which Spindle and VFD... again-snag-0125-jpg

Am I not thinking about this correctly?
    The added information for the Fan is for how long the fan stay on after it has turned off the spindle, they usually run for up to a minute a longer time won't hurt anything, the VFD will Fault if it over heats so you don't want that to happen

No, You don't switch a Neutral line if you have one

Is the Power you supply the VFD input 240v single Phase or 120v single Phase ??

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I need to use the voltage from the VFD to control a relay that will turn on the VFD, does that make sense? I'm assuming that for this to work I'll need to insert the SSR relay into the NEUTRAL "T" line of the power cord supplying the VFD with power?
    Do you mean power up the VFD, or start the spindle? There should NOT be a relay to power the VFD.
    And you don't have a "neutral" if the spindle is 240V.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry Gerry that should have read the voltage from the G540 to power on the VFD.

My focus here is how to turn on the VFD with the G540 since I don’t have 1 power switch for my CNC I wanted to find a way to power up the VFD using the G540. Is that not possible?

Downloads
    Uploads

No, you want the VFD to power up with your main power. As Mactec showed in post #170.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry Gerry that should have read the voltage from the G540 to power on the VFD.

My focus here is how to turn on the VFD with the G540 since I don’t have 1 power switch for my CNC I wanted to find a way to power up the VFD using the G540. Is that not possible?
    If you want to turn on the VFD from the G540 you would need a solid state relay like this suited for your supply ( 40A rated for the solid state ) or a contactor with a ( 30A rating ) you can switch something else with the contactor as you would have 2 spare contacts, so anything like in the snips

These are for switching your 240v supply to the VFD Drive R and T wires have to be switched for 240v NA supply

The switching voltage from the G540 would have to suit the solid state input and the switching coil of the ABB contactor

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which Spindle and VFD... again-dual-solid-state-relay-jpg   Which Spindle and VFD... again-abb-contactor-relay-png  
    Mactec54

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast