Which Spindle and VFD... again - Page 11

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Which Spindle and VFD... again

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Which Spindle and VFD... again

Just wanting too confirm the connections from the G540 to the VFD since the terminal markings have changed...

From what I can tell from the difference in the manuals I think they map to the following:

HY on the left GT on the right
    DCM = COM
    ACM = GND
    FOR = S1
    VI = AI1
    10v = 10v

Which Spindle and VFD... again-snag-0148-jpgWhich Spindle and VFD... again-snag-0147-jpg

I also don't think the GT has a jumper for terminal control but needs to have P0.01 set to 1.

For the VFD input from G540 you do not need any kind of relay, the output of the G540 is a open drain Mosfet (2n7000) and can be connected directly to the FWD PLC input.
    I have done it this way and posted a few diagrams, probably one in this thread.
    Al.
    Al, is the FWD connection on the VFD a ground connection? In other words the G540 grounds pin 5 or 6 when in use and completes the circuit>

Adam,

G540, Rack and Pinion Drives-X/Y axis, 1/2-Ball Screw-Z Axis w/THK HSR 25 Linear Slides, Steppers KL23H2100-35-4B, Power Supply-KL-600-48

Downloads
    Uploads

Would anyone be able to confirm my logic from my prior post on the G540?

G540, Rack and Pinion Drives-X/Y axis, 1/2-Ball Screw-Z Axis w/THK HSR 25 Linear Slides, Steppers KL23H2100-35-4B, Power Supply-KL-600-48

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by adam_m View Post

Al, is the FWD connection on the VFD a ground connection? In other words the G540 grounds pin 5 or 6 when in use and completes the circuit>

Adam,
    Here is the schematic,
    Al

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which Spindle and VFD... again-bobtovfd-jpg  
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Al.

All that I can find in the manual is the following image... not sure if it confirms your diagram.

Which Spindle and VFD... again-snag-0151-jpg

Marcus from Gecko had supplied me with the following info,

You would want to use pins 7, 8 and 9 for a VFD. Pins 5 and 6 are OUTPUTs and are functionally SPST switches to GND, typically used to control a relay. It can run anything up to 50VDC and 1A, though, so it will all depend on what you are driving.
    Thanks,

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes your VFD PLC inputs show they can be configured for either sink or source, you show that the diag is set for source with sink type inputs so that should work as per the diagram.
    The DCM = COM and the FOR will be whatever input you have configured for forward run.
    The PLC input is no where near the 50v 1a limit shown by Marcus.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    3.5Kw
    220v
    300Hz
    15a
    2 Pole
    Yesterday I confirmed the settings in the VFD for the Motor and the frequency was the only incorrect setting I had to adjust. So I verified all the following settings before running an auto tune again.

P2.01=3.5
    P2.02=300
    P2.03=18000
    P2.04=220
    P2.05=15
    P0.03=300
    P0.04=300
    P0.06=300

Everything seems to be working fine with the exception of the RPM and the potentiometer on the control panel, it far surpasses 18K.

So is that normal? or should the control panel RPM reflect the actual capacity of the motor?

I guess I'll break out the tachometer I have to see if its actually reflective of the RPM...

You do have a Parameter for auto fan control, P8.26

Everything is in your manual even how to do your wiring and shield Grounding
    P8.26, even though in the manual states it controls the fan has no impact on the external fan speed or setting. Maybe its a model issue with the VFD and the manual is for other VFD's as well?

I also removed the additional ground loop wire I had attached on the motor end and originally was going to ground to the Z back plate to prevent adding additional noise as Mactec54 had suggested.

Thanks,

Downloads
    Uploads

Everything seems to be working fine with the exception of the RPM and the potentiometer on the control panel, it far surpasses 18K.
    Does the frequency exceed 300? If it does, than you have setting wrong somewhere.
    If the RPM is over 18,000 and the frequency is at 300, then you have a setting wrong.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Does the frequency exceed 300? If it does, than you have setting wrong somewhere.
    If the RPM is over 18,000 and the frequency is at 300, then you have a setting wrong.
    Thanks for the quick reply Gerry.

I figured out that I was reading the display incorrectly and "assumed" it was reading in RPM but it was actually reading in frequency... so using the SHIFT on the control panel I was able to change the output on the VFD for RPM and all looks good. My unfamiliarity with the VFD and spindle has caused a bit of a learning curve...

Which Spindle and VFD... again-img_3472-jpg

Now that I've resolved those issues... on to trying to wire it up through the G540.

Adam,

Last edited by adam_m; 12-23-2018 at 10:40 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Now that the spindle is paired and running correctly with the VFD (many thanks). I've turned my attention to needing a control box of some sort for safety reasons since I'll be introducing 220v into my setup.

From what I can gather I'm anticipating needing at least 1 220v relay, EMI filter, fuse and master on/off switch.

A couple of questions if I may possibly this belongs in another forum?

- Is there a master on/off switch that incorporates a fuse that would be suitable protection? If not, anyone have some suggestions for either or both of these items?

- Any recommendations on an EMI filter?

- Can I use an ABS type box or does it need to be metal?

Thanks for any input as always.

Adam,

Downloads
    Uploads

Now that the spindle is paired and running correctly with the VFD (many thanks). I've turned my attention to needing a control box of some sort for safety reasons since I'll be introducing 220v into my setup.

From what I can gather I'm anticipating needing at least 1 220v relay, EMI filter, fuse and master on/off switch.

A couple of questions if I may possibly this belongs in another forum?

- Is there a master on/off switch that incorporates a fuse that would be suitable protection? If not, anyone have some suggestions for either or both of these items?

- Any recommendations on an EMI filter?

- Can I use an ABS type box or does it need to be metal?

Thanks for any input as always.

Adam,
    The On/Off switch can be a circuit breaker, like what I posted #170 before, but a mains power disconnect is always good to have plus the needed circuit breakers for each item being connected VFD, Power supply Etc

You don't want to use Fuses for a VFD Drive circuit breaker are best for this type of install, years ago they would of used Fuses but not today on a new build

An ABS box can work only if it has a metal Ground Plane plate that you mount everything on that can be Grounded, a Metal cabinet is always best

The EMI filter should be greater than your max current draw so with a guess 25A to 30A would be somewhere around what you need

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, so a mains breaker and a breaker at the box for the VFD, check. Would the breaker be sized the same as the EMI filter?

It looks like the VFD has a 15amp input so is a 20amp EMI/breaker too small?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073MF77CZ...detail_5?psc=1

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, so a mains breaker and a breaker at the box for the VFD, check. Would the breaker be sized the same as the EMI filter?

It looks like the VFD has a 15amp input so is a 20amp EMI/breaker too small?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073MF77CZ...detail_5?psc=1
    I would think that your VFD would be much higher input than 15A your spindle is 15A the input is normally double the output

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I would think that your VFD would be much higher input than 15A your spindle is 15A the input is normally double the output
    Looking deeper into the manual it appears to recommend 1.5-2 times the input.. so I guess a 30amp would do it.

Which Spindle and VFD... again-snag-0158-jpg

Which Spindle and VFD... again-snag-0159-jpg

So, should the breaker and EMI be of similar capacity then, no additional increase in capacity...

Downloads
    Uploads

That 15 amps is for 380V input.

220V single phase would be about 50 amps input.

So a 75amp filter.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    That 15 amps is for 380V input.

220V single phase would be about 50 amps input.

So a 75amp filter.
    Thanks Gerry, I see now the correct model # is the GT-5R5G-2...

Am I way off base here, the main circuit breaker currently installed is a 40amp breaker but the input side of the VFD is rated to pull nearly 75amps?

EDIT

The spindle is a 15amp 220v unit so I'm trying to figure out how it could draw up to 75amps from the VFD?

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking deeper into the manual it appears to recommend 1.5-2 times the input.. so I guess a 30amp would do it.

So, should the breaker and EMI be of similar capacity then, no additional increase in capacity...
    According to ABB and Machine Design publications with ref to NEC 430, the input protection should be no more than 1.5x for constant torque applications and 1.2x for variable torque based on the VFD power rating..
    Never use time delay fusing or breakers, but fast acting, otherwise you may be in danger of frying the input MOV's etc.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Gerry, I see now the correct model # is the GT-5R5G-2...

Am I way off base here, the main circuit breaker currently installed is a 40amp breaker but the input side of the VFD is rated to pull nearly 75amps?

EDIT

The spindle is a 15amp 220v unit so I'm trying to figure out how it could draw up to 75amps from the VFD?
    Like I said 2x of what the max current from the spindle would be fine so 30A in the input side would be fine I will look to see if there is a Parameter in the VFD you are using that can set the max output current

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    According to ABB and Machine Design publications with ref to NEC 430, the input protection should be no more than 1.5x for constant torque applications and 1.2x for variable torque based on the VFD power rating..
    Never use time delay fusing or breakers, but fast acting, otherwise you may be in danger of frying the input MOV's etc.
    Al.
    That would be for 3Ph not Single Phase

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

That would be for 3Ph not Single Phase
    Just for clarity of the products that I have and for my sanity... I have 220v at my home and I'm using both a 220v VFD and 220v spindle so nothing I have will be 3 phase unless the VFD is converting to 3 phase which I don't believe is the case.

Given that information, if my spindle is 15amp and should draw no more than 1.5 it's amperage (thanks Al) then doesn't that work out to (15*1.5 = 22.5amp max) ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Al.
    Al, should I be looking at a certain "Trip Curve"?

Thanks,

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast