Correct VFD for 5HP Motor with Single Phase Input - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Correct VFD for 5HP Motor with Single Phase Input

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Correct VFD for 5HP Motor with Single Phase Input

now i see mactec54, it sounds like i need to program the vfd for the motor. ill have to keep an eye out for a vector motor though. i paid 100 shipped for the 5hp v1000 btw

Downloads
    Uploads

The vector drive has nothing to do with the motor, a regular 3ph motor will run on a sensorless vector drive, I have done it all the time with the same results, it is a means by the VFD processor to detect the optimum phase angle for optimum control of the rotor, the drive 'takes an electronic picture' of where the rotor is in order for maximum efficiency.
    The same goes for encoder feedback which BTW usually involves an add on card.
    I have also used a regular 3ph motor with this encoder option.
    A 'Vector Rated Motor' has usually a precisly balanced rotor for higher rpm's and also can have superior insulation qualities.
    This is also verified by such as WEG and Baldor motors etc.
    e.g. http://ecatalog.weg.net/files/wegnet...re-english.pdf
    I have achieved the same result with regular motor.
    Al.

Last edited by Al_The_Man; 05-21-2018 at 04:16 PM.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

In my experience an "inverter" rated/duty motor may be better balanced, typically higher speed rated, possibly specially potted windings to deal with the harmonics of VFD (PWM) operation. "Vector" rated/duty just just inverter + an encoder.
    Using sensored vector mode, if your encoder is set up properly, will not do any more damage than just using the motor on a VFD in V/Hz or sensorless vector mode.
    I haven't read too many stories of motor windings failing on non-inverter motors on VFD's, so either the windings (weg calls it "spike rated") is just some snake oil (the higher speed ratings are different bearings and maybe better balancing, so no snake oil there,) the hour ratings on these things is too high and the spike/harmonic degradation too low for home gamers to notice the difference, or "standard" motor windings have caught up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    In my experience an "inverter" rated/duty motor may be better balanced, typically higher speed rated, possibly specially potted windings to deal with the harmonics of VFD (PWM) operation. "Vector" rated/duty just just inverter + an encoder.
    Using sensored vector mode, if your encoder is set up properly, will not do any more damage than just using the motor on a VFD in V/Hz or sensorless vector mode.
    I haven't read too many stories of motor windings failing on non-inverter motors on VFD's, so either the windings (weg calls it "spike rated") is just some snake oil (the higher speed ratings are different bearings and maybe better balancing, so no snake oil there,) the hour ratings on these things is too high and the spike/harmonic degradation too low for home gamers to notice the difference, or "standard" motor windings have caught up.

i just ran the auto tune program for my motor in v/f mode and it is considerably quieter and has a ton more torque at 300 rpms. after that i pulled the variable pulleys out and measured for toothed h type pulleys, then found some old stock on ebay. ill mount up the encoder when i get to that point and well see how it works then. does anyone have an idea for a fan on the motor that doesnt look like a computer fan zip tied on? does it just need to blow across the outside or something more intrusive?

Downloads
    Uploads

Need to know something about the motor to make a fan recommendation.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

its a 3hp 3p 1750rpm 8.6a from a wells index est. 1980 there is very little time on the motor.

Downloads
    Uploads

TEFC? TENV? Frame size?
    Does it already have a fan? How about a picture?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayforrey View Post
    i just ran the auto tune program for my motor in v/f mode and it is considerably quieter and has a ton more torque at 300 rpms. after that i pulled the variable pulleys out and measured for toothed h type pulleys, then found some old stock on ebay. ill mount up the encoder when i get to that point and well see how it works then. does anyone have an idea for a fan on the motor that doesnt look like a computer fan zip tied on? does it just need to blow across the outside or something more intrusive?
    This is how I have been doing them for the last 20 Years an have never had one fail because of a heating problem, it's quiet and turns on with the VFD Drive

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Correct VFD for 5HP Motor with Single Phase Input-bridgeport-encoder-2-jpg  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    TEFC? TENV? Frame size?
    Does it already have a fan? How about a picture?
    Of course it has a fan it is a regular 4 Pole 3Hp 3Ph Ac motor

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I thought I would follow up on this thread for anybody interested in a 5hp VFD who only has single phase 240V available, since they are a bit rare to find. It turns out that the outfit I ordered the Yaskawa 5hp VFD from did not have it in stock. Bummer. I started searching again for a good deal on a 5hp VFD or 10hp 3 phase input VFD and stumbled upon a guy named Jack Forsberg who sells them...sort of. He actually really coordinates the sale of them from the manufacturer in China who ships them direct to your house. I must stay Jack and his people do an AWESOME job. Super smooth transaction, fast shipping, and customer service that is embarassingly great! They literally call you on the phone and walk you through the entire setup to ensure everything is done correctly and answer any questions. They are just incredibly great, especially for anybody new to VFDs like me. The best part is the price is competitive to the Huanyang and so far the quality seems to be rock solid. I just can't say enough about how satisfied I am with them.

JJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12