Need Help! Need help with VFD control through Mach 3

Thread: Need help with VFD control through Mach 3

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need help with VFD control through Mach 3

Hello everyone!

I have built a 3 axis CNC router which uses a 1,5kW water cooled spindle powered by a 1,5kW VFD. For about 3 months now i am using the VFD independently (from its own keypad) and it works smoothly. I recently decided to try to connect my VFD to the BoB in order to control the spindle directly from Mach3, and though i made some progress from reading my documentation and forum guides/youtube videos, at last i am stuck. Though i am a novice when it comes to electronics, I will try to list my setup and my settings/wiring as better as i can in hope that someone will be able to point me in the correct direction and perhaps help others who have similar problems.

Electronics Equipment

VFD: Emheater EM11 (1,5kW)
    Users Manual: http://www.emheater.com/web/userfile...r%20Manual.pdf

Breakout Board: 5 axis Breakout Board
    Need help with VFD control through Mach 3-5axisbreakoutboardinterfaceforsteppermotor-jpg
    Users Manual: https://warp9td.com/images/BOB_Vendo...line/ST-V2.pdf

Wiring

The wiring connecting my BoB to my VFD is as follows.
    Need help with VFD control through Mach 3-vfd-wiring-jpg
    Explanation: This is the wiring i saw on many youtube videos with the same subject, only it was for a Huanyang VFD. The difference i noted between my model and the more common Huanyang is that in mine I had to program the DI1 to give the "FOR run" command, the AI1 to control the frequency based on the 0-10V voltage it gets, and instead of DCM and ACM i had 2x Ground inputs (which are connected internally btw). After i did all those things based on the VFD manual i got the following results.

Results so far

1. When i set my VFD to get the frequency from terminal but get run/stop commands from the keypad, it works. I set for ex. "S12000 M3" in mach 3, it shows the corresponding Hz on the panel screen and when i hit run on the keypad it starts.
    2. When i set my VFD to get the frequency from the keypad potensiometer but get run/stop commands from the terminal, it works. I set the frequency from the keypad, input "M3" command on mach3 and it starts.
    3. When i set both the frequency and the run/stop commands from terminal here is what happens. I hear the relay on the BoB "click", the panel screen on the VFD shows the corresponding Hz but the Motor doesnt start. There aren't any errors involved, just that the VFD doesn't seem to get the command to start.

I will also include as attachments screenshots with my Mach3 settings. I would really appreciate it if someone with more experience on the subject could take a look and maybe point me to any setting i 've got wrong.
    Thanks in advance

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help with VFD control through Mach 3-5axisbreakoutboardinterfaceforsteppermotor-jpg   Need help with VFD control through Mach 3-vfd-wiring-jpg   Need help with VFD control through Mach 3-1-jpg   Need help with VFD control through Mach 3-2-jpg  

Need help with VFD control through Mach 3-3-jpg   Need help with VFD control through Mach 3-4-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help with VFD control through Mach 3

Quote Originally Posted by kathiki1 View Post
    Hello everyone!

I have built a 3 axis CNC router which uses a 1,5kW water cooled spindle powered by a 1,5kW VFD. For about 3 months now i am using the VFD independently (from its own keypad) and it works smoothly. I recently decided to try to connect my VFD to the BoB in order to control the spindle directly from Mach3, and though i made some progress from reading my documentation and forum guides/youtube videos, at last i am stuck. Though i am a novice when it comes to electronics, I will try to list my setup and my settings/wiring as better as i can in hope that someone will be able to point me in the correct direction and perhaps help others who have similar problems.

Electronics Equipment

VFD: Emheater EM11 (1,5kW)
    Users Manual: http://www.emheater.com/web/userfile...r%20Manual.pdf

Breakout Board: 5 axis Breakout Board
    Need help with VFD control through Mach 3-5axisbreakoutboardinterfaceforsteppermotor-jpg
    Users Manual: https://warp9td.com/images/BOB_Vendo...line/ST-V2.pdf

Wiring

The wiring connecting my BoB to my VFD is as follows.
    Need help with VFD control through Mach 3-vfd-wiring-jpg
    Explanation: This is the wiring i saw on many youtube videos with the same subject, only it was for a Huanyang VFD. The difference i noted between my model and the more common Huanyang is that in mine I had to program the DI1 to give the "FOR run" command, the AI1 to control the frequency based on the 0-10V voltage it gets, and instead of DCM and ACM i had 2x Ground inputs (which are connected internally btw). After i did all those things based on the VFD manual i got the following results.

Results so far

1. When i set my VFD to get the frequency from terminal but get run/stop commands from the keypad, it works. I set for ex. "S12000 M3" in mach 3, it shows the corresponding Hz on the panel screen and when i hit run on the keypad it starts.
    2. When i set my VFD to get the frequency from the keypad potensiometer but get run/stop commands from the terminal, it works. I set the frequency from the keypad, input "M3" command on mach3 and it starts.
    3. When i set both the frequency and the run/stop commands from terminal here is what happens. I hear the relay on the BoB "click", the panel screen on the VFD shows the corresponding Hz but the Motor doesnt start. There aren't any errors involved, just that the VFD doesn't seem to get the command to start.

I will also include as attachments screenshots with my Mach3 settings. I would really appreciate it if someone with more experience on the subject could take a look and maybe point me to any setting i 've got wrong.
    Thanks in advance
    Do you have the 12v supply connected to the Breakout Board, nothing will output from the Breakout Board unless you have the 12v connected

It also sounds like you have the Parameters to change also, I will have a look

Is your VFD only 300Hz if it is then it is not suitable for this 400Hz spindle

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Do you have the 12v supply connected to the Breakout Board, nothing will output from the Breakout Board unless you have the 12v connected

It also sounds like you have the Parameters to change also, I will have a look

Is your VFD only 300Hz if it is then it is not suitable for this 400Hz spindle
    Yes i have the 12V connected to the BoB and the VFD is rated 400Hz