Need Help! Huanyang Chinese VFD and spindle ground

Thread: Huanyang Chinese VFD and spindle ground

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Huanyang Chinese VFD and spindle ground

Installed a 2.2kw spindle on my shark hd2 and it works great. However because the spindle is not grounded (HD2 has plastic mountings) and mfg says spindle does not need to be grounded I discovered that at 24000 rpm the spindle case to ground has a voltage of 164 volts.
    after talking with an electrician and researching on youtube I ran a ground to the spindle and now when I press the RUN button I get an error on the VFD "E.OC.A" and the spindle does not turn. researching again on youtube I found no answer to the problem.
    Any help here would be appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Huanyang Chinese VFD and spindle ground

Quote Originally Posted by Calprinter View Post
    Installed a 2.2kw spindle on my shark hd2 and it works great. However because the spindle is not grounded (HD2 has plastic mountings) and mfg says spindle does not need to be grounded I discovered that at 24000 rpm the spindle case to ground has a voltage of 164 volts.
    after talking with an electrician and researching on youtube I ran a ground to the spindle and now when I press the RUN button I get an error on the VFD "E.OC.A" and the spindle does not turn. researching again on youtube I found no answer to the problem.
    The manufacture is incorrect, China they don't have to have a Ground, every other country in the World you have to use a Ground, very unsafe with out it, that is why you buy the right spindle to start with and it will have a Ground

It's not ideal to run an individual Ground wire, but should work until you do it correctly, with a 4 wire shielded cable the cable you need is from IGUS CF6-15-04

There seems you have a problem with your U V W wiring, most likely at the Spindle Plug

There is more than one thing that can cause a E O C A fault

# 1 is usually wiring you have a short

# 2 the Spindle has a short in the windings

# 3 the VFD has a faulty current sensor

# 4 the Parameters have been set incorrect for the Spindle you are using

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I
    You could test for any leakage resistance from any phase to the spindle frame, preferably this would be done with a high voltage megger, but a VOM will give you some idea.
    The 160v you get now could just be normal inductive effect if the frame is presently isolated.
    How did you run the ground?
    Try removing it temporarily and see if the spindle runs again.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

I got the same setup in the mail yesterday and when setting it up today it would work fine with factory settings. Once I plugged in the suggested settings I hit run and the spindle ran for about 45 seconds and then I started smelling an electronics burning smell and not the spindle wont turn and I am also the same error code E.Oc.A

please reply if you find a solution to this problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by msdeltaguy View Post
    I got the same setup in the mail yesterday and when setting it up today it would work fine with factory settings. Once I plugged in the suggested settings I hit run and the spindle ran for about 45 seconds and then I started smelling an electronics burning smell and not the spindle wont turn and I am also the same error code E.Oc.A

please reply if you find a solution to this problem.
    They do not work fine with factory settings, running the factory settings will damage either the Spindle or the VFD Drive, sometimes both

This happens when the incorrect Parameters are set, or a short in the wiring

Which part smoked Spindle or VFD

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    They do not work fine with factory settings, running the factory settings will damage either the Spindle or the VFD Drive, sometimes both

This happens when the incorrect Parameters are set, or a short in the wiring

Which part smoked Spindle or VFD
    To be honest im not really sure. When you smell the VFD it has a smell of burnt circuitry but it powers up and still allows you to make parameter changes. just when I hit RUN immediately you hear a click and the display shows the error E.oc.A...... BUT on the other hand yesterday when I took the spindle out of the box i could spin the chuck by hand and it was very smooth. now when I spin the chuck by hand it seems to have a small amount of resistance. I'm wondering if both are now bad?

BTW can you post the correct parameters? I ordered a whole new kit tonight and had it sent overnight so it will be here Tuesday

Downloads
    Uploads

To be honest im not really sure. When you smell the VFD it has a smell of burnt circuitry but it powers up and still allows you to make parameter changes. just when I hit RUN immediately you hear a click and the display shows the error E.oc.A...... BUT on the other hand yesterday when I took the spindle out of the box i could spin the chuck by hand and it was very smooth. now when I spin the chuck by hand it seems to have a small amount of resistance. I'm wondering if both are now bad?

BTW can you post the correct parameters? I ordered a whole new kit tonight and had it sent overnight so it will be here Tuesday
    Disconnect the Spindle and see if the VFD powers up as normal

What VFD and Spindle did you order, then I can give you the correct Parameters to set, wiring is also important

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Disconnect the Spindle and see if the VFD powers up as normal

What VFD and Spindle did you order, then I can give you the correct Parameters to set, wiring is also important
    I disconnected the spindle and the unit still displays R00.00 flashing even after i reset to default. it will still let me in the programming side but that's about it. The one i purchased was on amazon.com the 2.2kw 220v the VFD model number is HY02D223B

https://www.amazon.com/MYSWEETY-Spin...=2.2kw+spindle

Here is how I wired the system up:

R - 110v leg from shop to VFD
    T - 110v leg from shop to VFD
    PE - ground from shop to VFD

U - to spindle pin 3 110v leg
    V - to spindle pin 1 110v leg
    W - to spindle pin 2

Downloads
    Uploads

I disconnected the spindle and the unit still displays R00.00 flashing even after i reset to default. it will still let me in the programming side but that's about it. The one i purchased was on amazon.com the 2.2kw 220v the VFD model number is HY02D223B

https://www.amazon.com/MYSWEETY-Spin...=2.2kw+spindle

Here is how I wired the system up:

R - 110v leg from shop to VFD
    T - 110v leg from shop to VFD
    PE - ground from shop to VFD

U - to spindle pin 3 110v leg
    V - to spindle pin 1 110v leg
    W - to spindle pin 2
    Your Power supply should be 120v /240v for NA single phase, and do not measure the output from the VFD you can damage the VFD if you use a regular meter

So your input power would be 240v single phase R ( 1 ) Hot and T (1 ) hot and Ground to the Ground Terminal on the VFD

Your spindle should be, the Ground from the spindle connects to the same Terminal as the input power Ground

U=Pin 1
    V=Pin 2
    W=Pin 3
    G=Pin=4 Ground connection this is a must have

These 3 connections will be 220V 3 Phase to the Spindle

Parameters you need to set

Huanyang Mactec54
    2.2Kw 220v

PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control )
    ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Terminal Control )

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD006=15

PD007=20

PD008=220 (Motor Rated Voltage, If you have 120v spindle then set to 120v )

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD011=100 ( 100 Minimum Setting with Quality VFD, 120 is Safe)

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings

PD014 Acceleration=10 ( Adjust to suit)

PD015 Deceleration=10 (Adjust to suit) ( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD023=0 ( Forward Run Only )

PD041=8 ( Carrier Frequency up to 10 Max for these Spindle motors)

PD120=120 ( Stall Prevention )

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage )

PD142=9 ( Motor Max Amps 2.2Kw Spindle 9 amp )

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) =3,000= (24,000)

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v Plus For Speed Control Knob use )

PD72=400

PD73=120 ( 100 Minimum RPM Setting )

PD174=??? ( To Be Set to the VFD Drives Max Rated Amps )

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Just received my replacement kit that I ordered overnight from amazon since the first one burned up. Forst thing I do is reset back to factory default PD013 setting 8 then powered down. I am starting from the top of your settings but when I get to PD003 the max it will let me set it is 50.00

What is going on here? I really dont want to burn this unit up.

Your Power supply should be 120v /240v for NA single phase, and do not measure the output from the VFD you can damage the VFD if you use a regular meter

So your input power would be 240v single phase R ( 1 ) Hot and T (1 ) hot and Ground to the Ground Terminal on the VFD

Your spindle should be, the Ground from the spindle connects to the same Terminal as the input power Ground

U=Pin 1
    V=Pin 2
    W=Pin 3

Huanyang Mactec54
    2.2Kw 220v

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD006=15

PD007=20

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings

PD015 Deceleration=10 (Adjust to suit) ( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v Plus For Speed Control Knob use )

PD72=400

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, I figured out the problem with PD003. I put in all the settings that you have listed below exactly as you have listed them. When I hit RUN the spindle ramps up to 24,000RPM no matter where I have the dial set? Any ideas ??

Thanks

U=Pin 1
    V=Pin 2
    W=Pin 3

Huanyang Mactec54
    2.2Kw 220v

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD006=15

PD007=20

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD72=400

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, I figured out the problem with PD003. I put in all the settings that you have listed below exactly as you have listed them. When I hit RUN the spindle ramps up to 24,000RPM no matter where I have the dial set? Any ideas ??

Thanks
    The first mistake you made was when you did a Reset, you should not do this, all that is needed is to set the parameters that I list

Did you get the PD003=400 set this is very important

For the speed control you may have to check that the jumper is set correct and set PD070=1 also check PD002 this may need to be 1 for pot control if you are in the right mode on the control panel the arrow keys should change the speed up/down also

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I did as you suggested and changed the PD002 to 1 and not the Pot know works but I need to adjust the range. Right now when i turn the knob to the lowest setting the spindly will only ramp down to 7200 RPM and when it is all the way to the right the max is 15,600 RPM. I would really like the range to be 2,500 RPM with the knob turned to the left and 24,000 when i turn the knob all the way to the right. Any suggestion as to what parameters need to be changed?

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

The first mistake you made was when you did a Reset, you should not do this, all that is needed is to set the parameters that I list

Did you get the PD003=400 set this is very important

For the speed control you may have to check that the jumper is set correct and set PD070=1 also check PD002 this may need to be 1 for pot control if you are in the right mode on the control panel the arrow keys should change the speed up/down also

Downloads
    Uploads

I did as you suggested and changed the PD002 to 1 and not the Pot know works but I need to adjust the range. Right now when i turn the knob to the lowest setting the spindly will only ramp down to 7200 RPM and when it is all the way to the right the max is 15,600 RPM. I would really like the range to be 2,500 RPM with the knob turned to the left and 24,000 when i turn the knob all the way to the right. Any suggestion as to what parameters need to be changed?

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
    Did you do the PD070=1 as well

Your spindle can not run at 2500 RPM the lowest you can go safely is 6,000 RPM

To get to 6,000 RPM

PD011=100

PD73=100

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I thought these 2.2kw water cooled spindles would operate lower than 6000RPM? Reason I purchased it was to mill aluminum at lower speeds.

Did you do the PD070=1 as well

Your spindle can not run at 2500 RPM the lowest you can go safely is 6,000 RPM

To get to 6,000 RPM

PD011=100

PD73=100

Downloads
    Uploads

I thought these 2.2kw water cooled spindles would operate lower than 6000RPM? Reason I purchased it was to mill aluminum at lower speeds.
    That is not possible to mill anything below 6,000 RPM with your spindle, some of the more expensive spindles can go down to 4,000 RPM but can have a lower high end as well

Below the minimum speed of 6,000 RPM, or where you wanted to run it, with your spindle, you would be able to stop it with your hand

You can mill aluminum at high speed if your machine is ridged 7,000 to the max of 24,000 is possible for milling aluminum, with your spindle, you have to get your feeds and lube working right though, the high speed Datron machines run up to 60,000 RPM cutting Aluminum depending on what spindle they have 3Kw 40,000 is there most common one and they use up to max RPM depending on the size of the cutter they use

Mactec54