Surfacing aluminum with 2.2kw spindle. Best tool for the job?

Thread: Surfacing aluminum with 2.2kw spindle. Best tool for the job?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Surfacing aluminum with 2.2kw spindle. Best tool for the job?

After some reasearch it seems an actual face mill is out of the question for an er20. What's the next best thing? I'm already getting great results with just a quarter inch endmill, but I wouldn't mind improving it with a wider cut and better use of the tool rather than dulling just the tip. I was gonna order a half inch stub end mill to have specifically for facing but I figured I would ask first. Are there better options? Larger than half inch cut? Smoother finish than and end mill would give? Maybe a flycutter of some sort? The 6k minimum rpm is obviously also a limiting factor with larger diameter. If I am limited to half inch max cut, would an insert tool make more sense? If it gave equal or better surface as an end mill, I imagine replacing inserts is more economical. Open to suggestions

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Surfacing aluminum with 2.2kw spindle. Best tool for the job?

Never used one, but look at an Amana RC-3400.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

If you end up going the 1/2" mill route, for best finish try to use an aluminum specific mill with radiused or chamfered corners.
    Shars does have a 5/8" indexable with 1/2" shaft with cheap inserts, but.. it looks cheap..
    5/8" Mini Indexable End Mills - Indexable Milling - Indexable Cutting - Products

They also have a set of fly cutters with 1/2" shank:
    3 Piece Fly Cutter Set - Fly Cutters - Toolholding - Products
    Need to grind your own inserts for those though, and HSS may be a big limitation on speed.

Shars also has a 3/4" face mill arbor in 1/2" shank. That should work with a variety of small face mills.

If you do end up with a face mill, you can get away with not using all the inserts. Just take out every other one if it's an even number, or just try a single insert (basically a fly cutter.)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tips. I did end up getting a zrn coated 1/2 inch 3 flute endmill with .008 radius from maritool. Its giving excellent surface finish. I spent a lot of time getting my spindle tram perfect, like within a couple tenths swinging the indicator 4 inches from center. I can pretty much remove machining marks by polishing with mothers using a felt pad on a dremel and get a mirror finish no problem. I think I'll hold off on trying to use anything larger for now. I'm pretty happy with the results I'm getting.