Where to buy power cable for larger spindles?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy power cable for larger spindles?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Where to buy power cable for larger spindles?

Please can someone recommend a good place to order 10 gauge shielded cable (by the ft) in America?

According to the charts I looked at, I need 10 gauge cable for a 5.6kw spindle and according to people here, it needs to be shielded. I managed to find a single length of 4 conductor shielded cable on eBay for VFD to spindle but I need to find a second length of 2 conductor shielded cable for VFD to wall outlet. I am stuck with a regular non-shielded cable until I find some.

One of the problems is that nobody seems to sell it by the ft and I don't want to spend $1000 on a roll. Where do you guys buy this mythical unicorn cable?

What happens if you don't use shielded cable for the VFD to outlet wire? Other electronics (including stuff with motors) seems to work fine without shielding. Is shielding just a nice to have or is it absolutely necessary?

It should go without saying but..... yes, I have tried google and eBay and Home Depot already.....

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Where to buy power cable for larger spindles?

https://www.igus.com/product/1090

McMaster Carr 7777T23

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    https://www.igus.com/product/1090

McMaster Carr 7777T23

Thanks.

That Igus place has a good selection. Prices seem ok too. I wish they had a cheaper 2 conductor option for the VFD to power outlet section but you can't have everything....

Downloads
    Uploads

You do know you only need shielded for the VFD 3ph out (UVW).?
    The options for the power in are several and cheaper. Also depending if you need rigid or flexible cable.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Also you can use white and black conductors but the white should be marked with red tape at junctions.
    https://solutions.borderstates.com/s...he-difference/
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question but do I need to worry about the unshielded ends of the cables where they connect to the VFD and the wall outlet plug? Obviously a short length of the shielding needs to be removed to allow you to attach it to the screw terminals and I can't imagine there is any additional shielding in plastic VFD enclosure.

Do people mount their vfd's inside a shielded enclosure to block leaks from the unshielded cable ends or is this just not an issue as long as the rest of the cable is properly shielded?

Downloads
    Uploads

WHY are you using shielded cable for the VFD supply??
    It is only needed for the U,V,W, Not the R,S,T,
    They are best installed in an enclosure if possible, but many have mounted them externally.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
    Please forgive me if this is a stupid question but do I need to worry about the unshielded ends of the cables where they connect to the VFD and the wall outlet plug? Obviously a short length of the shielding needs to be removed to allow you to attach it to the screw terminals and I can't imagine there is any additional shielding in plastic VFD enclosure.

Do people mount their vfd's inside a shielded enclosure to block leaks from the unshielded cable ends or is this just not an issue as long as the rest of the cable is properly shielded?
    It's only a problem if the Shields are not Grounded correctly, you should keep the unshielded terminal connecting wires as short as possible, there are more than one way to do it but direct Grounding of the Shield is best way to do it

The Best source for cable is IGUS https://www.igus.com/chainflex/control-cable, you can buy it by the foot

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where to buy power cable for larger spindles?-shielding-termination-v7-png   Where to buy power cable for larger spindles?-grounding-shields-3-png   Where to buy power cable for larger spindles?-shield-clamp-png   Where to buy power cable for larger spindles?-shield-termanation-4-png  

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

A recent professional installation by VFD supply and installation professionals for American Chillers.
    Al.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where to buy power cable for larger spindles?-vfdexample-jpg  

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    A recent professional installation by VFD supply and installation professionals for American Chillers.
    Al.
    Professional !!!! amateur at best, at least they don't have to worry so much about high frequency of 400Hz that most Hobby users have to deal with

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Please can someone recommend a good place to order 10 gauge shielded cable (by the ft) in America?

According to the charts I looked at, I need 10 gauge cable for a 5.6kw spindle and according to people here, it needs to be shielded. I managed to find a single length of 4 conductor shielded cable on eBay for VFD to spindle but I need to find a second length of 2 conductor shielded cable for VFD to wall outlet. I am stuck with a regular non-shielded cable until I find some.

One of the problems is that nobody seems to sell it by the ft and I don't want to spend $1000 on a roll. Where do you guys buy this mythical unicorn cable?

What happens if you don't use shielded cable for the VFD to outlet wire? Other electronics (including stuff with motors) seems to work fine without shielding. Is shielding just a nice to have or is it absolutely necessary?

It should go without saying but..... yes, I have tried google and eBay and Home Depot already.....
    If the cable on Ebay does not have a flex rating then don't get it, your spindle cable being for your Z axes need a high flex rate, most normal regular shielded cable does not have a flex rate and won't last very long

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Professional !!!! amateur at best, at least they don't have to worry so much about high frequency of 400Hz that most Hobby users have to deal with
    Given your obviously extensive professional experience with this kind of thing, perhaps you could point out what it is there that is so amateurish with Al's installation so the rest of us can be relieved of our incompetence. Is there something there that's dangerously incompetent? It is amateurish at best so there must be some very obvious errors that I would like to avoid if you could be so kind as to point them out. Maybe you could show us some pictures of your truly professional installations to give us something to emulate. Or even just one picture?

I get by but I but I'm always interested in learning how the real pros do things. As always, ideas on how to do it on a budget are great.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joe90023 View Post
    Given your obviously extensive professional experience with this kind of thing, perhaps you could point out what it is there that is so amateurish with Al's installation so the rest of us can be relieved of our incompetence. Is there something there that's dangerously incompetent? It is amateurish at best so there must be some very obvious errors that I would like to avoid if you could be so kind as to point them out. Maybe you could show us some pictures of your truly professional installations to give us something to emulate. Or even just one picture?

I get by but I but I'm always interested in learning how the real pros do things. As always, ideas on how to do it on a budget are great.
    I don't think for one minute that Al had anything to do with this install, look at the emoji that he posted at the end

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think for one minute that Al had anything to do with this install, look at the emoji that he posted at the end
    Even better. You can pick it apart without offending Al. I look forward to seeing pics of what a real pro install looks like.

Downloads
    Uploads

Even better. You can pick it apart without offending Al. I look forward to seeing pics of what a real pro install looks like.
    Joe I get the idea that the outfit in the pic know what they are doing.
    https://joliettech.com/projects/ac-v...-technologies/
    Not exactly small potato's.!
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

....The Best source for cable is IGUS https://www.igus.com/chainflex/control-cable, you can buy it by the foot
    Very helpful link and priced per foot is great for the little guy. My last install just ran SO cord inside metallic liquid tight conduit which I got nearly free. The motor is stationary so no flex worries. Sometimes the budget requires strategies that would make the big boys roll their eyes but it seems to work fine. There are occasional deals on ebay but it waiting for a deal can get old.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    ....Not exactly small potato's.!
    Al.
    The budget for the enclosures alone is enough to make my eyes water.

Downloads
    Uploads

Very helpful link and priced per foot is great for the little guy. My last install just ran SO cord inside metallic liquid tight conduit which I got nearly free. The motor is stationary so no flex worries. Sometimes the budget requires strategies that would make the big boys roll their eyes but it seems to work fine. There are occasional deals on ebay but it waiting for a deal can get old.
    Budget has nothing to do with it, you can still do a Hobby install just as good as any pro job, and for very little cost, some do a very good job, others do not

This attached photo is from the same company that Al posted a photo of, compare the 2 they where clearly done by different people, at the same company with a much better designed layout and components used

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where to buy power cable for larger spindles?-vfd-install-jpg  
    Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Budget has nothing to do with it....
    The people buying Huanyang products will probably disagree with that.

...This attached photo is from the same company that Al posted a photo of, compare the 2 they where clearly done by different people, at the same company with a much better designed layout and components used
    It does look nicer although I'm not sure the first one rates "amateur at best". Got any pictures of your own work?

Downloads
    Uploads

The people buying Huanyang products will probably disagree with that.
    And what is wrong with Huanyang products, if they are correctly wired as I have posted and the parameters set to what I have posted hundreds of times on here, they will have the same life as buying an expensive spindles Drives Etc to do the same job

It does look nicer although I'm not sure the first one rates "amateur at best". Got any pictures of your own work?
    Some hints in the first photo seeing you are obsessed with it, look at the Terminal Blocks, top row, this tells you something, if you can't see what is wrong, then my be you should not even be discussing this subject, then you have all the wires bundled together for ( 2 ) different systems, yes this is a pro job alright, someone most likely payed $6,000 to $10,000 for a job like this

Mactec54

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast