110v VFD's. Any issues? - Page 4

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 110v VFD's. Any issues?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 110v VFD's. Any issues?

Quote Originally Posted by HTCOHIO View Post
    OK, I just don't see how the HZ has any Factor in the efficiency of a given motor. Everybody has 50 or 60 hz power because back in the early 1900s it was the most cost effective Transformer design. The cost would have simply been too great back then utilizing Aerospace materials for the smaller Transformers. Nowadays the smaller Transformers are less expensive due to technology as a matter of fact I believe modern aircraft have 400hz AC systems throughout the planes not only to save weight but to eliminate interference from the turbine engines.

I don't mean to get so far off topic but I would like to either coordinate with somebody else or receive some detailed instructions as to how I could go about testing both setups accurately.

You originally mentioned that the way I tested the full load on the motor was bad....
    The Tool cutter you where using, was not designed to be used like you where using it, your spindle has a minimum speed of 6000 RPM, the cutter you where using was not even suitable to run at your minimum speed, at the speed you could run that cutter at, your spindle would of had no torque to run it, so this test was a fail, I think this answers your question

You are dreaming again, nobody is interested to know what the out come of a flawed test would be, the only way to test to get a result worth posting would be if you could put these spindles on a dynamometer, there is no other test you could do with any accuracy, to have something worth posting

Now you are taking about aircraft, do you not have any concept at all, that your spindle has no connection or relationship, with how a aircraft electrical system is designed and works, the newest aircraft system generators ( VSCF ) Variable-speed constant-frequency, run up to 800Hz, also 400Hz 800Hz aircraft systems have nothing to do with eliminating interference from the turbine engines

I would suggest that you learn how to run / use what you have until it fails, then move to a 220v system, you are just spinning your wheels trying to do any thing else with what you have, it is what it is

At first I thought you where for real but after your ridiculous postings that have no relationship with these spindles, we are just wasting our time

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HTCOHIO View Post
    I can almost hold the spindle collet with my hand and try to start it and there's very little resistance on start up. Do you have extremely weak low end torque with the 220 version?
    There is no difference both 110v or the 220v have very little torque, at start up, and you could easily stop the spindle at low RPM, these spindles have max torque, near the max RPM of 24,000, and there is no useful torque below 6,000 RPM you will over heat and burn the spindle out running it below the minimum speed

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Re: 110v VFD's. Any issues?

Could someone please clarify something regarding the 110/120 volt spindles? I was about to buy a 110v 2.2KW spindle and then I ran across this thread, and grateful that I did!

From what I understand a 110v 800 watt spindle will have better performance than a 110v 1500 watt spindle, is that correct?

I ask because it seems counter intuitive. I would think the 1.5kw spindle would have better performance. Thank you for the clearification.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by AngelArs View Post
    Could someone please clarify something regarding the 110/120 volt spindles? I was about to buy a 110v 2.2KW spindle and then I ran across this thread, and grateful that I did!

From what I understand a 110v 800 watt spindle will have better performance than a 110v 1500 watt spindle, is that correct?

I ask because it seems counter intuitive. I would think the 1.5kw spindle would have better performance. Thank you for the clearification.
    On 120V supply you have to have a minimum of 20A to run a 1.5Kw Spindle 25A would be better, so your normal 120v outlet is only 15A so you are not going to successfully run even a 1.5Kw Spindle on it so a 800w is about where you are at with only a 120v 15A supply

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I had a Chinese built 6040 router that came supplied to run on 120 volts with a 120 volt VFD. It ran great, no issues but I was not going to cut 3/4 inch plywood with one pass ether.

Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    On 120V supply you have to have a minimum of 20A to run a 1.5Kw Spindle 25A would be better, so your normal 120v outlet is only 15A so you are not going to successfully run even a 1.5Kw Spindle on it so a 800w is about where you are at with only a 120v 15A supply
    Thanks mactec54, appreciate the help!

All things being equal, if I ran a 20 amp line would the 1.5Kw spindle run better than a 800 watt on a 15 amp line?

Downloads
    Uploads

Most modern homes wired to Code the outlets are wired for 20 amps, check your circuit breaker panel for more information. Frankly I do not know what a 1.5 Kw spindle on 120 volts would draw. I know my 2.2 Kw VFD calls for a 30 amp breaker on 240 volts single phase. The larger spindles are not practical on 120 vac.

Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks mactec54, appreciate the help!

All things being equal, if I ran a 20 amp line would the 1.5Kw spindle run better than a 800 watt on a 15 amp line?
    Yes it would be better than 800W, if your are going to run a new line do it for 25A

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

if your are going to run a new line do it for 25A
    Is 8 gauge wire with a 30 amp wall outlet, and a 25 Amp circuit breaker correct? It's going around 30 - 40 feet max.

Last edited by AngelArs; 09-22-2019 at 02:31 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is 8 gauge wire with a 30 amp wall outlet, and a 25 Amp circuit breaker correct? It's going around 30 - 40 feet max.
    10 Gauge is rated 30A

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

10 Gauge is rated 30A
    Thanks mactec54. I thought 10 gauge was good up to 25 feet, but apparently not. Thank you for the correction.

What style of 30 amp receptacle is best to use with something like this?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks mactec54. I thought 10 gauge was good up to 25 feet, but apparently not. Thank you for the correction.

What style of 30 amp receptacle is best to use with something like this?
    You won't be using 30A on a 120v supply with a 25A Breaker you most likely won't go much of the 20A If you have changed your mind and are running a 240v circuit then I would go with the 8 Gauge 2 Hot Neutral and Ground that way you can have a 120v circuit and a 240V circuit from the same supply

These are the best type of Plugs for these type of connections, if you are going to a cabinet the you need a disconnect at the cabinet

This can be a 4 wire to your cabinet and then you can have 120v and 240v for your cabinet supply

You would need a 4 prong Plug if you use a 4 wire supply

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 110v VFD's. Any issues?-twistlock-plug-30a-png   110v VFD's. Any issues?-nema-l6-30-rceptacal-png   110v VFD's. Any issues?-4-wire-twistlock-plug-30a-png   110v VFD's. Any issues?-twistlock-receptacle-30-amp-png  

Mactec54

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast