Huanyang 2.2kw vfd tripping and start up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huanyang 2.2kw vfd tripping and start up

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Huanyang 2.2kw vfd tripping and start up

Hello, I've just received my VFD today along with my spindle and wired it up according to UK colour codes. Now I've tried speaking to the ebay seller but it was a waste of time due to them not speaking much English and so I'm back to searching the webs for some help. I've tried to do some background checks into what could be causing the breaker to trip and quite a few are suggesting it is a ground issue, now that to me isn't much help as domestic wiring I am competent with but to try and troubleshoot an issue is beyond me. This is the wiring currently directly from a 13amp fused plug.

The Live is connected to the R terminal and neutral to T terminal and earth to earth in the centre. Not much help from the booklet regarding which to connect.

My second issue is once it has managed to even get past the tripping is I am faced with this annoying problem. Video to show you as it's hard to discribe but here we go, I plug in the VFD and it started at 40 then proceeds to count down here to 12 and will sit there flashing that value.

Futher on is that the VFD will not proceed beyond that value when the start button is pressed.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Huanyang 2.2kw vfd tripping and start up-19873772_10212134066939466_2025916195_n-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Huanyang 2.2kw vfd tripping and start up

Quote Originally Posted by R0bc View Post
    Hello, I've just received my VFD today along with my spindle and wired it up according to UK colour codes. Now I've tried speaking to the ebay seller but it was a waste of time due to them not speaking much English and so I'm back to searching the webs for some help. I've tried to do some background checks into what could be causing the breaker to trip and quite a few are suggesting it is a ground issue, now that to me isn't much help as domestic wiring I am competent with but to try and troubleshoot an issue is beyond me. This is the wiring currently directly from a 13amp fused plug.

The Live is connected to the R terminal and neutral to T terminal and earth to earth in the centre. Not much help from the booklet regarding which to connect.

My second issue is once it has managed to even get past the tripping is I am faced with this annoying problem. Video to show you as it's hard to discribe but here we go, I plug in the VFD and it started at 40 then proceeds to count down here to 12 and will sit there flashing that value.
    You wiring is correct, what spindle are you trying to run with it, the Parameters have to be set correct for it to run, don't keep trying it until the Parameters are set correct for your spindle, or you will damage it

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

It's apparently already been correctly set for the spindle as it came as bundle but it's a 2.2kw spindle. The videos show it not connected to the spindle but the issue is just the same as connected.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's apparently already been correctly set for the spindle as it came as bundle but it's a 2.2kw spindle. The videos show it not connected to the spindle but the issue is just the same as connected.
    They do not come with the Parameters set

You have to set them or you will damage the VFD or the spindle, which may have already happened

You also have to check that the Spindle Ground / Earth Pin ( 4 ) is connected, this is important most are not connected and this has to be corrected

Here are the Parameters for that spindle

Huanyang Mactec54
    PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control )
    ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Terminal Control )

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD007=20

PD008=220 (Motor Rated Voltage, If you have 120v spindle then set to 120v )

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD011=120 ( 100 Minimum Setting with Quality VFD, 120 is Safe)

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings

PD014 Acceleration=12 ( Adjust to suit)

PD015 Deceleration=12 (Adjust to suit)
    ( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage )

PD142= ( Motor Max Amps)
    PD142=( 220vSet for your motor Amp Rating 2.2Kw Spindle 9 amp )

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) =3,000= (24,000)

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v )

PD72=400

PD73=120 ( 100 Minimum Setting )

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Right so it will still need a setup then. I have only one issue with the parameters you have sent is that my VFD only has the parameters set in pins 01 to 35 such as Pn 01 - Pn 02 and not PD001 etc.

It is also a three pin spindle with no earth.

This is the ebay listing if it will help - 2.2KW WATER COOLED SPINDLE MOTOR 2.2KW VFD DRIVE BEARING FREQUENCY INVERTER CNC | eBay

Downloads
    Uploads

Did it come with a manual?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

It did yes but the manual in its self isn't much use as it just simply tells you the default values for the parameters and not so much what things should actually be. I've managed to figure out why it was flashing numbers at me as the startup frequency was set to 01 which is a potentiometer and not 02 which is panel button so thus still leaves why it is tripping the breaker.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Huanyang 2.2kw vfd tripping and start up-1-jpg   Huanyang 2.2kw vfd tripping and start up-2-jpg   Huanyang 2.2kw vfd tripping and start up-3-jpg   Huanyang 2.2kw vfd tripping and start up-19970623_10212141306960462_319822295_n-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=R0bc;2067676]It did yes but the manual in its self isn't much use as it just simply tells you the default values for the parameters and not so much what things should actually be. I've managed to figure out why it was flashing numbers at me as the startup frequency was set to 01 which is a potentiometer and not 02 which is panel button so thus still leaves why it is tripping the breaker./QUOTE]

So you don't have the Huanyang VFD the heading of your first post , You have a AskPower VFD here are the Parameters that need to be set,

Plus you will have to add a Ground / Earth for the spindle, you can not run this without a Ground /Earth attached to the spindle Body and back to the VFD, ( or to a Star Ground / Earth Point ) You brought the wrong spindle they must have a 4 pin plug that uses a Ground /Earth connection, ( China Only for a 3 Pin Plug ) or you have to change it and add an Ground / Earth 4 Pin Plug or an Ground ? Earth point on the spindle body , which can be as simple as using one of the Plug mounting screws if it has the this type of plug

AskPower Parameter Settings For 400Hz Spindle
    Mactec54
    Pn01=2 ( Number of Motor Poles Will Display synchronized speed)
    ( Pn01=1 Will Display Frequency )

Pn02=400

Pn03=2 ( VFD Button Control Only ) ( 4= External 0-10v )

Pn04=1 ( VFD Button Control Only ) ( 2= External Control )

Pn05=1

Pn08=15 ( This is adjustable Acceleration and Only a Starting Number )

Pn09=15 ( This is adjustable Deceleration and Only a Starting Number )

Pn010=400

Pn011=100 ( If water Cooled Spindle)

Pn012=400

Pn32=1 ( Set to 3 to Restore Default Parameters ) ( Set Back to 1 to ReSet Parameters )

Last edited by mactec54; 07-09-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Just inputted those parameters and so far it works and hasn't tripped the breaker on the two attempts but it didn't seem to save some of the new parameter values so had to re-input them. Appoligies for the confusion on the VFD as it said HY series so assumed it meant huanyang.

I can fit an earth cable from the water cooling ports and run it directly back to the VFD if that will work as a fourth pin for ground.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just inputted those parameters and so far it works and hasn't tripped the breaker on the two attempts but it didn't seem to save some of the new parameter values so had to re-input them. Appoligies for the confusion on the VFD as it said HY series so assumed it meant huanyang.

I can fit an earth cable from the water cooling ports and run it directly back to the VFD if that will work as a fourth pin for ground.
    It's a copy of the Huanyang, the Ground / Earth wire would have to be very secure I'm not sure how you would connect to the water connections, most drill and Tap a Hole for a screw and fasten a terminal with a screw, you can remove the cap to do this, some have a plastic cap so this would not work if it is plastic, here is what some do when they connect the 4th pin, you could do the same but yours will be on the outside

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Huanyang 2.2kw vfd tripping and start up-ground-wire-2-jpg  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately the HY clones are cheap knockoffs and won’t last very long. We did the same thing going on with 4 of those HY series vfd’s. Even set right they will randomly shut down and need to be reset. One of them we received wasn’t grounded properly from the pcb to chassis and threw a awful large arc followed by a pop sounding like a capacitor blew.. No damage and it still runs but we’re investing into much better vfd’s. I imagine if you haven’t already noticed you will have difficulty with any remote add on functioning properly. I would recommend finding a better quality vfd.

It did yes but the manual in its self isn't much use as it just simply tells you the default values for the parameters and not so much what things should actually be. I've managed to figure out why it was flashing numbers at me as the startup frequency was set to 01 which is a potentiometer and not 02 which is panel button so thus still leaves why it is tripping the breaker.

[IMG]http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attachment.php

attachmentid=367458&stc=1[/IMG]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Uguessedit View Post
    Unfortunately the HY clones are cheap knockoffs and won’t last very long. We did the same thing going on with 4 of those HY series vfd’s. Even set right they will randomly shut down and need to be reset. One of them we received wasn’t grounded properly from the pcb to chassis and threw a awful large arc followed by a pop sounding like a capacitor blew.. No damage and it still runs but we’re investing into much better vfd’s. I imagine if you haven’t already noticed you will have difficulty with any remote add on functioning properly. I would recommend finding a better quality vfd.
    There is nothing wrong with the Huanyang VFD if you get the genuine VFD, it is easy to tell the difference between the copies and the real thing, the real Huanyang has 2 rows of Terminals as the copies only have 1 Row, Huanyang Snip below if it does not look like this it is a copy

Never buy a Spindle that only has a 3 pin power connector, these are for China only, anyone that does buy a spindle with a 3 pin connector would have to change the Plug to a 4 Pin or add a Ground point on the Spindle Body

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Huanyang 2.2kw vfd tripping and start up-huanyang-terminials-png  
    Last edited by mactec54; 04-25-2018 at 08:01 AM. Reason: added Photo
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks a million Mactec54 for your invaluable guidance. You are the first source on the internet that I have found to solve my breaker tripping issue with my new Huanyang inverter & spindle setup on my Workbee machine. I hadn't grounded the spindle correctly. Again, thank you so much!

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay, mactec54, I solved the grounding issue with my 220v 1ph 2.2kw spindle. However, when I changed my PD073 from 0 to 120 as you indicated above, the breaker immediately tripped. This is also the only setting that seems to conflict with general consensus of "0" Would this be for a 3ph inverter?.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by colonelkeds View Post
    Okay, mactec54, I solved the grounding issue with my 220v 1ph 2.2kw spindle. However, when I changed my PD073 from 0 to 120 as you indicated above, the breaker immediately tripped. This is also the only setting that seems to conflict with general consensus of "0" Would this be for a 3ph inverter?.
    PD073 has nothing to do with anything electrical it is for the slowest speed protection that your spindle can run which is 100Hz 120 is just a safety number that most use

PD011=120

PD073=120

Have to see a Photo of how you have it wired Don't run it until you post a photo I will check

Sounds like you have a dead short in your wiring somewhere

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Was this ever sorted out???? I'm having the same issue with a Huanyang VFD. I have the 110V version with matching 2.2kw spindle (8.5amps, 400hz). My spindle came with a 4 pin connector, which upon further inspection appears to have the fourth pin connected to nothing, so I soldered a wire and attached it to the mounting screw that holds the 4 pin connector on. I then wired up my spindle cable with the fourth pin being ground which runs back to my Huanyang Inverter (VFD). I verified that I have continuity between the ground and housing of the spindle. I also verified that none of the hot wires had continuity with the housing. This makes me pretty confident I don't have a short here.

I have combination GFCI/AFCI (Ground Fault and Arc Fault interrupters). As I was setting up the VFD to work with my controller the unit would turn on and I would run it for a few second then shut it down via the computer, and upon shut down it would trip the breaker. Then I changed a setting on the VFD... mainly to allow for external PWM control realizing I probably had it set right, but this caused the breaker now to trip upon start up....

Since then I've played with some settings and even used the ones listed above for Huanyang with no luck. My latest attempt was to switch all control back to the VFD and I found that a slow start up allowed it to run longer, but it inevitably cut off.

Here's something that's been rolling around in my head. I am using shielded wiring for the Spindle cable. I've grounded it to the VFD, but I also have a ground wire (part of the set of 4 conductors in the wire) wired to the 4 pin plug. They are both going to the same ground on the VFD, would this be considered a ground loop, and do ground loops cause breakres (AFCI and GFCI) to trip?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by strikermed View Post
    Was this ever sorted out???? I'm having the same issue with a Huanyang VFD. I have the 110V version with matching 2.2kw spindle (8.5amps, 400hz). My spindle came with a 4 pin connector, which upon further inspection appears to have the fourth pin connected to nothing, so I soldered a wire and attached it to the mounting screw that holds the 4 pin connector on. I then wired up my spindle cable with the fourth pin being ground which runs back to my Huanyang Inverter (VFD). I verified that I have continuity between the ground and housing of the spindle. I also verified that none of the hot wires had continuity with the housing. This makes me pretty confident I don't have a short here.

I have combination GFCI/AFCI (Ground Fault and Arc Fault interrupters). As I was setting up the VFD to work with my controller the unit would turn on and I would run it for a few second then shut it down via the computer, and upon shut down it would trip the breaker. Then I changed a setting on the VFD... mainly to allow for external PWM control realizing I probably had it set right, but this caused the breaker now to trip upon start up....

Since then I've played with some settings and even used the ones listed above for Huanyang with no luck. My latest attempt was to switch all control back to the VFD and I found that a slow start up allowed it to run longer, but it inevitably cut off.

Here's something that's been rolling around in my head. I am using shielded wiring for the Spindle cable. I've grounded it to the VFD, but I also have a ground wire (part of the set of 4 conductors in the wire) wired to the 4 pin plug. They are both going to the same ground on the VFD, would this be considered a ground loop, and do ground loops cause breakres (AFCI and GFCI) to trip?
    Quick update: I did test this on a seperate 15 amp outlet with GFCI protection (No AFCI) and it worked perfectly fine. It sounds like I have some kind of nuisance issue. A similar issue happens on rare occasions with my Air compressor. I think my only solution is to swap the breaker out unless someone on here has some advice? I have a feeling that just the nature of a motor makes something like an AFCI trip. What I'm confused by is that my Saw stop table saw runs just fine on the exact same circuit (same outlet mind you). Wish I could track this issue down.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quick update: I did test this on a seperate 15 amp outlet with GFCI protection (No AFCI) and it worked perfectly fine. It sounds like I have some kind of nuisance issue. A similar issue happens on rare occasions with my Air compressor. I think my only solution is to swap the breaker out unless someone on here has some advice? I have a feeling that just the nature of a motor makes something like an AFCI trip. What I'm confused by is that my Saw stop table saw runs just fine on the exact same circuit (same outlet mind you). Wish I could track this issue down.
    If you have the VFD Drive and Spindle wired correctly you should not have it on a GFCI circuit, VFD Drives where designed to be used in the industry never in a residential setting and not on a 15A circuit for a 2.2Kw Highspeed Spindle load

A 2.2Kw spindle can not run on a 120v 15A circuit you would need a 30A to 35A circuit to run it correctly 1.5Kw with a 20A to 25A circuit is the max for a 120v circuit

The attachment is for 220v you double the Amp requirement for 120v this will give you the Circuit Amp requirement plus you need 150% safety factor to be in Code

Nothing confusing with your table saw running completely different motor

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Huanyang 2.2kw vfd tripping and start up-vfd-drive-amp-requirment-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If you have the VFD Drive and Spindle wired correctly you should not have it on a GFCI circuit, VFD Drives where designed to be used in the industry never in a residential setting and not on a 15A circuit for a 2.2Kw Highspeed Spindle load

A 2.2Kw spindle can not run on a 120v 15A circuit you would need a 30A to 35A circuit to run it correctly 1.5Kw with a 20A to 25A circuit is the max for a 120v circuit

The attachment is for 220v you double the Amp requirement for 120v this will give you the Circuit Amp requirement plus you need 150% safety factor to be in Code

Nothing confusing with your table saw running completely different motor
    Macrec thanks fir the info, I’m kind of regretting getting the 110V version then. I could just run a 220 to this location and called it a day. Currently I have 20amp breakers that run the outlets at this location...

I was monitoring the amperage draw of my whole setup running and nothing seemed to get into an amperage range that worried me. I’ll do some more experimenting to make sure I’m not stressing my electrical system.

I do have a follow up though. Do you know if I can use the 110v of the huanyang vfd for a 220v spindle? Or would I need to purchase both a 220v spindle and vfd for that application.

Last edited by strikermed; 12-27-2020 at 01:47 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Macrec thanks fir the info, I’m kind of regretting getting the 110V version then. I could just run a 220 to this location and called it a day. Currently I have 20amp breakers that run the outlets at this location...

I was monitoring the amperage draw of my whole setup running and nothing seemed to get into an amperage range that worried me. I’ll do some more experimenting to make sure I’m not stressing my electrical system.

I do have a follow up though. Do you know if I can use the 110v of the huanyang vfd for a 220v spindle? Or would I need to purchase both a 220v spindle and vfd for that application.
    I think the VFD Drive would be ok but not sure with the spindle, the only way would be to try it, the VFD Drive input supply would be 240v but the output you can control with the VFD voltage Parameter so can set that to the 220v the normal rating of these spindles

So if you run a 240v line make it is at least 30A 4 wire 2 Hot Neutral and Ground that way you can have 120v and 240v from the same supply

Some photos of your current wiring Grounding Etc would help also to see what problems you may have

If Breakers are tripping that is a good indication you have over load, but also EMI can be at play as well, the EMI would mostly be form the VFD Drive, and not the compressor so much

The VFD Drives input power supply will need an EMI Power Filter once you do the 240v supply, I will give you more information on that part once you get there with you 240v supply

Your current spindle will run on the 120v supply but will only be about 800W to 1Kw an have very low torque so not much good for anything, many have been court out by this with these spindles, the spindles are Ac 3Phase and there is no such thing as 110v 3ph power

Mactec54

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast