How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle


Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 62

Thread: How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle

  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle

    So I'm sure this has been posted about before. In doing my research, I referenced a few pages here. But nowhere was I able to find any one list that had both all of the right settings, and was free of mistakes. Now I'm no expert, but I do have a good understanding of electronics. I also understand that the things I DO NOT KNOW, I am not going to post my opinion of where I "think" that setting should be.

    The way this came about was that I ordered and received one of the cheap E-bay air cooled 2.2kw spindles and VFD combo. Now sure, it came with instructions. And I'm betting if I would have followed them, and changed those 4 (literally, just 4) settings that the spindle would have ran. For how long, and how well...who knows. I have heard plenty of horror stories about these, but also heard of lots of guys running them for years (and still) with no problems. So I had to get to the bottom of it. Just because this combo is cheap...well..it is still a real spindle, and a real vfd, and I really wanted to get it set up working properly with at least on/off control in Mach3.

    Success! Here's how I did it:

    If you search the web, you can find many lists for the settings on the Huanyang VFD. A lot of them are for water cooled spindles, or 1.5kw air cooled. As you'll see, we'll cover these as well, but I wanted to be sure that I had everything right for the 2.2KW.

    I figure the easiest way to start this is from the manual. Yes, the English is terribly broken in spots, but, it still gives us access to all of the settings and what they are. Here's a copy:

    http://www.exoror.com/datasheet/VFD.pdf

    So, let's take this right from the start.

    Step 1.) Un-Box your VFD and take the 2 screws out of the front cover. This will give you access to all of the spade terminals inside. You will see that along the bottom there is a row, labeled "R,S,T," on the left hand side and "U,V,W" on the right side. These are the only terminals we need be concerned with IN THAT ROW. The two rows above this we will get to later. So, your 220V power is going to have 2 live lines and a neutral. Usually Red, Black, and white respectively. We only need the 2 live lines. One goes to "R", and the other goes to "T". Supposedly you can also hook them to s and t, or r and s, but in every instructional video I found where people actually had the VFD working correctly, and it had lasted them a while, they were all hooked up one live to "R" and one live to "T". Ok, Now your VFD has power. I put one leg through a switch, so that the fan doesn't sit there running constantly. No reason for the VFD to be on when I'm not even in the shop.

    Step 2.) The settings. Now that our VFD has power, we need to go through and set all of the settings to the proper place for our 2.2KW spindle (I'll show others as well)
    There's conflicting info on the web about what order you do this in. So I tried it a few different ways. Makes no difference. Since the Huanyang automatically goes to the next setting after your done setting the previous one, I figure it's easiest to go in order.

    To start setting press the "pgm" button. You will see a code displayed, "PD000". From here you can use the arrow keys up and down to change the PD number. You can also use the >> button to change where the cursor is. For example if the cursor is all the way to the right, then pressing up takes us from PD000 to PD001. But if I move the cursor over to the first zero, then pressing up would take us from PD000 to PD100. Once you're at PD000, press the "SET" button. Now we're inside of that setting and able to change it. After we get it where we want it, we press "SET" on more time, and that setting is changed. If the setting was already correct, nothing happens. If you have changed it, you will see "END" flash across the screen. Either way, now you can go on to the next PD number and the next setting.

    So, let's go through them one at a time. Hopefully this will help someone like it helped me. I am listing all the ones that are required to get your spindle running properly, as well as all of the meanings that I am aware of.

    PD000- Parameter lock-- 0 is unlocked, 1 is locked. So after you're done, you can come back to this and set it to "1" so that you don't inadvertently change anything.
    PD001- Source of run commands-- Where the VFD gets it's command to start your spindle. 0 is from the keypad. 1 is from an outboard source such as mach 3 throwing a relay. 2 is from a data line (rs-485). Set this to 0 for setting up your VFD, and later you can change it to 1 if you're using a relay to control on/off like I am.
    PD002- Source of operating frequency (spindle speed)-- Same as PD001. Set to 0 for now, and come back later if you're using speed control of some sort.
    PD003-005- Main, Base, and Max frequency-- All of these should be set to 400Hz for any of the Chinese spindles. Mine already were, but a lot of the time these come factory set at 50hz.
    PD006- Intermediate Frequency-- This should be set to 3.0 for those of us with 60Hz Mains power. If your mains power is 50Hz, set it to 2.5
    PD007- Min Frequency-- set this at 1.2
    PD008- Max Voltage-- Set this at whatever voltage is listed on your spindle itself. Mine was 220V, and yours most likely is as well
    PD009- Intermediate Voltage-- Set this at 15
    PD010- Min Voltage-- Set this at 8
    PD011- Frequency lower limit-- Set this to 133HZ for 2.2KW spindles that are air cooled (this keeps RPM always AT LEAST 8k, for the internal fan). If you have a water cooled spindle, you can set this wherever you like, although you will get very little torque under 6k RPM anyhow.
    PD013- Reset-- A Lot of posts say to reset this first? I wouldn't. A lot of my settings were already correct, why erase them and then have to re-enter. Maybe it's useful if you completely change spindles or change to a motor.
    PD014- Acceleration Time 1-- There are other acceleration parameters as well, but this one affected the spindles acceleration. I set mine to 5 Seconds. You can set it to taste, but the faster you try to accelerate, the more strain in the system. 5 seconds in plenty fast enough to get to 24,000RPM!
    PD015- Deceleration time 1-- Again, this one affects the spindles slowing down. I set mine to 7 seconds, and it stops very nicely.
    PD072- Higher Analog Frequency-- Make sure this is set to 400hz for all the spindles.
    PD142- Rated Motor Current-- Set this to your motors rated current. My 2.2KW air cooled is 8.5A.
    PD143- Motor Pole #- According to the manufacturer, almost ALL of the 2.2KW spindles (as well as the 1.5 for that matter) are 2 Pole. So set this at 2.
    PD144- Rated motor Revolutions-- This is how many times the motor should rotate in one minute at 50Hz. For these spindles, that's 3000. Make sure to set this, or your display will be off.

    That's it. Now you can press "PGM" again to get out of the programming mode.

    Remember when we first started, there were those 3 terminals on the right hand side labeled "U, V, X"? Those hook up to your spindle, respectively. U goes to pin 1, v to pin 2, w to pin 3. Your pins should be labeled, on the back side where you solder the wires to them. Make sure you use shielded wire, if you can, and connect the shield to the "E" terminal on the VFD.

    Hit the "RUN" button and you're up and going. Like I said, I know this has been posted here plenty of times before, but it seemed there was at least one small discrepancy every time I found a list. If anyone needs help hooking up relay control, or speed control, I'd be happy to help. Also there are a lot of posts on those subjects, and they are both fairly straightforward.

    Really hope this helps someone. Enjoy.

    Loren

    Similar Threads:


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10309
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle

    Quote Originally Posted by KB2WYL View Post
    So I'm sure this has been posted about before. In doing my research, I referenced a few pages here. But nowhere was I able to find any one list that had both all of the right settings, and was free of mistakes. Now I'm no expert, but I do have a good understanding of electronics. I also understand that the things I DO NOT KNOW, I am not going to post my opinion of where I "think" that setting should be.

    The way this came about was that I ordered and received one of the cheap E-bay air cooled 2.2kw spindles and VFD combo. Now sure, it came with instructions. And I'm betting if I would have followed them, and changed those 4 (literally, just 4) settings that the spindle would have ran. For how long, and how well...who knows. I have heard plenty of horror stories about these, but also heard of lots of guys running them for years (and still) with no problems. So I had to get to the bottom of it. Just because this combo is cheap...well..it is still a real spindle, and a real vfd, and I really wanted to get it set up working properly with at least on/off control in Mach3.

    Success! Here's how I did it:

    If you search the web, you can find many lists for the settings on the Huanyang VFD. A lot of them are for water cooled spindles, or 1.5kw air cooled. As you'll see, we'll cover these as well, but I wanted to be sure that I had everything right for the 2.2KW.

    I figure the easiest way to start this is from the manual. Yes, the English is terribly broken in spots, but, it still gives us access to all of the settings and what they are. Here's a copy:

    http://www.exoror.com/datasheet/VFD.pdf

    So, let's take this right from the start.

    Step 1.) Un-Box your VFD and take the 2 screws out of the front cover. This will give you access to all of the spade terminals inside. You will see that along the bottom there is a row, labeled "R,S,T," on the left hand side and "U,V,W" on the right side. These are the only terminals we need be concerned with IN THAT ROW. The two rows above this we will get to later. So, your 220V power is going to have 2 live lines and a neutral. Usually Red, Black, and white respectively. We only need the 2 live lines. One goes to "R", and the other goes to "T". Supposedly you can also hook them to s and t, or r and s, but in every instructional video I found where people actually had the VFD working correctly, and it had lasted them a while, they were all hooked up one live to "R" and one live to "T". Ok, Now your VFD has power. I put one leg through a switch, so that the fan doesn't sit there running constantly. No reason for the VFD to be on when I'm not even in the show
    Loren

    220/240v is ( 2 Hot wires and a Ground, you do not have a Neutral involved with 220/240 volt for NA, So if you have connected a Neutral wire you can expect to have some damage to your VFD, and a white wire can not be used as a Ground wire unless it's color has been changed to Green and is connected to Ground

    So to your VFD you should have the input power connected to the R and T terminals, and the Ground wire connected to the E Terminal if not you will have problems

    A Spindle Ground wire is needed so you need to connect another Ground wire to the VFD E terminal and connect to the best place you can on your spindle, this is a must have

    Your shielded cable should be terminated at both ends as per snip below

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle-grounding-shields-3-png  
    Mactec54


  3. #3
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    I don't want anyone who doesn't know electricity to get confused so let me clarify. As you will read in the original post, I do NOT have a neutral wire hooked up to anything, so no, my vfd is in no danger. But yes, 220 does have a neutral wire. Sometimes it also has a ground wire, and sometimes the ground is carried by the neutral wire. If you're using single phase 220 3 wire like I am, you will have what I explained in the original post. 3 wires coming to socket in wall. Red, black, and white. Red and black are live, and white is neutral and ground. Don't believe me, follow it back to the distribution box where you see that white wire screws in to the terminal strip carrying the ground bus. If you have 4 wire 220 such as in a dryer, you will have a white wire and a green wire. Either way, doesn't matter as we are not hooking up the neutral line to the power input. We can use that white wire as the ground though, as long as you check your distribution box and make sure white is ground as well as neutral. Depends on year your electric was put in.

    As for the spindle, grounding the shield at the vfd end is fne. You have the 3 wires carrying signal, and one wire carrying ground. The ground wire hooks up to "e" at the vfd, and the 4th pin at the spindle. Like we just talked about, it's grounded at the "E" end. Wheb people talk about grounding at both ends, I think they really mean connecting at both ends.

    Don't over complicate and end up making ground loops. 2 live wires to "R+T", Earth wire to "E", and then "UVX, and E" to 1234 on the spindle.

    Done

    It's not magic or luck that this works flawlessly for me, it's simple electronics. More than one ground point makes for great opportunity for ground loops.

    In the future, if anyone has any questions please ask. Just posting "that will blow up your vfd" I'm sure is confusing, especially to someone following the simple directions who's vfd is running just fine. Thanks all.




    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    220/240v is ( 2 Hot wires and a Ground, you do not have a Neutral involved with 220/240 volt for NA, So if you have connected a Neutral wire you can expect to have some damage to your VFD, and a white wire can not be used as a Ground wire unless it's color has been changed to Green and is connected to Ground

    So to your VFD you should have the input power connected to the R and T terminals, and the Ground wire connected to the E Terminal if not you will have problems

    A Spindle Ground wire is needed so you need to connect another Ground wire to the VFD E terminal and connect to the best place you can on your spindle, this is a must have

    Your shielded cable should be terminated at both ends as per snip below




  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    813
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle

    Quote Originally Posted by KB2WYL View Post
    I don't want anyone who doesn't know electricity to get confused so let me clarify. As you will read in the original post, I do NOT have a neutral wire hooked up to anything, so no, my vfd is in no danger. But yes, 220 does have a neutral wire. Sometimes it also has a ground wire, and sometimes the ground is carried by the neutral wire. If you're using single phase 220 3 wire like I am, you will have what I explained in the original post. 3 wires coming to socket in wall. Red, black, and white. Red and black are live, and white is neutral and ground. Don't believe me, follow it back to the distribution box where you see that white wire screws in to the terminal strip carrying the ground bus. If you have 4 wire 220 such as in a dryer, you will have a white wire and a green wire. Either way, doesn't matter as we are not hooking up the neutral line to the power input. We can use that white wire as the ground though, as long as you check your distribution box and make sure white is ground as well as neutral. Depends on year your electric was put in.

    As for the spindle, grounding the shield at the vfd end is fne. You have the 3 wires carrying signal, and one wire carrying ground. The ground wire hooks up to "e" at the vfd, and the 4th pin at the spindle. Like we just talked about, it's grounded at the "E" end. Wheb people talk about grounding at both ends, I think they really mean connecting at both ends.

    Don't over complicate and end up making ground loops. 2 live wires to "R+T", Earth wire to "E", and then "UVX, and E" to 1234 on the spindle.

    Done

    It's not magic or luck that this works flawlessly for me, it's simple electronics. More than one ground point makes for great opportunity for ground loops.

    In the future, if anyone has any questions please ask. Just posting "that will blow up your vfd" I'm sure is confusing, especially to someone following the simple directions who's vfd is running just fine. Thanks all.

    LOL.... mactec54 and I butt heads on this topic consistently. I think I can guesstimate safely that at least 60% of residential homes here in NA ground and neutral share the same bar at main source. Codes have changed, cant give and exact date when, do a google search. Today codes require a separate bar for neutral and ground do to electronics and GFI.


    Yes... neutral is a ground but not always 0 volts and used differently, its for the return volts of 120V circuits only. 240V circuits require 2 opposing lines and use each other.(alternating current).

    That being said... many use the neutral for ground since its there only available option and never have a problem, My suggestion who fall into that large percentage here in NA is to run a dedicated line or at least ground from panel.(main source).

    Dan



  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10309
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle

    Quote Originally Posted by KB2WYL View Post
    I don't want anyone who doesn't know electricity to get confused so let me clarify. As you will read in the original post, I do NOT have a neutral wire hooked up to anything, so no, my vfd is in no danger. But yes, 220 does have a neutral wire. Sometimes it also has a ground wire, and sometimes the ground is carried by the neutral wire. If you're using single phase 220 3 wire like I am, you will have what I explained in the original post. 3 wires coming to socket in wall. Red, black, and white. Red and black are live, and white is neutral and ground. Don't believe me, follow it back to the distribution box where you see that white wire screws in to the terminal strip carrying the ground bus. If you have 4 wire 220 such as in a dryer, you will have a white wire and a green wire. Either way, doesn't matter as we are not hooking up the neutral line to the power input. We can use that white wire as the ground though, as long as you check your distribution box and make sure white is ground as well as neutral. Depends on year your electric was put in.

    As for the spindle, grounding the shield at the vfd end is fne. You have the 3 wires carrying signal, and one wire carrying ground. The ground wire hooks up to "e" at the vfd, and the 4th pin at the spindle. Like we just talked about, it's grounded at the "E" end. When people talk about grounding at both ends, I think they really mean connecting at both ends.

    Don't over complicate and end up making ground loops. 2 live wires to "R+T", Earth wire to "E", and then "UVX, and E" to 1234 on the spindle.

    Done

    It's not magic or luck that this works flawlessly for me, it's simple electronics. More than one ground point makes for great opportunity for ground loops.

    In the future, if anyone has any questions please ask. Just posting "that will blow up your vfd" I'm sure is confusing, especially to someone following the simple directions who's vfd is running just fine. Thanks all.
    You where talking about a Neutral wire with 240v supply, this happens for some residential appliances, but there is always a Ground as well, so not just 3 wires there is always 4 this is used this way so that the appliance can have a 120v supply and a 240v supply from the one power source

    You have a very poor understanding of 240AC, so stop trying to BS us, you know what you are taking about, when a Neutral is with a 240v Circuit it has 4 wires not 3 if you have only 3 then you have a code problem, a Neutral wire can never be used as a Ground this would be another code violation, So don't say that it can be used as a Ground because it can not

    If your wiring is correctly done you can never have a Ground loop as you are saying, it is a requirement by all VFD manufactures that both Ends of the Shield be Grounded and in some country's is a Code requirement

    No one said you would blow up your VFD, I said if you used or connected a Neutral wire you would damage the VFD when using 240v in NA, I repair VFD Drives and have seen this done may times, so when you talk about 240V in NA don't use the Neutral wire in the mix as this is not how it is done or used

    The output Terminals are U V W not U V X as you keep on posting, the power in NA is also referred to as120v or 240v not 220v

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle-shield-termanation-3-png  
    Mactec54


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10309
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan911 View Post
    LOL.... mactec54 and I butt heads on this topic consistently. I think I can guesstimate safely that at least 60% of residential homes here in NA ground and neutral share the same bar at main source. Codes have changed, cant give and exact date when, do a google search. Today codes require a separate bar for neutral and ground do to electronics and GFI.


    Yes... neutral is a ground but not always 0 volts and used differently, its for the return volts of 120V circuits only. 240V circuits require 2 opposing lines and use each other.(alternating current).

    That being said... many use the neutral for ground since its there only available option and never have a problem, My suggestion who fall into that large percentage here in NA is to run a dedicated line or at least ground from panel.(main source).

    Dan
    You should no better by now that Neutral is not a Ground and can never be used legally as a Ground this is how people get electrocuted, I would suggest you do a study of the NEC Electrical code before making such a statement

    Mactec54


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    813
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You should no better by now that Neutral is not a Ground and can never be used legally as a Ground this is how people get electrocuted, I would suggest you do a study of the NEC Electrical code before making such a statement
    LOL, I should no better? Its obvious your experience is from a keyboard and google. Read my post!


    KB2WYL your in no code violations and he's the only BS posting.



  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10309
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan911 View Post
    LOL, I should no better? Its obvious your experience is from a keyboard and google. Read my post!


    KB2WYL your in no code violations and he's the only BS posting.
    Any one that says they can use a Neutral for a Ground, Which you have been doing, is a Code Violation, Just may be this might help you understand the fundamentals of what Grounding is for and how important that a Neutral wire is not compromised

    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...2FB5&FORM=VIRE

    Mactec54


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    813
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Any one that says they can use a Neutral for a Ground, Which you have been doing, is a Code Violation, Just may be this might help you understand the fundamentals of what Grounding is for and how important that a Neutral wire is not compromised

    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...2FB5&FORM=VIRE
    Finally something we agree on, I tried to explain that to KB2WYL in post#4 in a NICE way.



  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10309
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan911 View Post
    Finally something we agree on, I tried to explain that to KB2WYL in post#4 in a NICE way.
    By saying things like this ( Yes... neutral is a ground ) does not help explain anything, Neutral is not a Ground

    In the same post you also had this, (That being said... many use the neutral for ground,) this is not true a Neutral connection can never be used as a Ground, By doing this you put anyone that is in contact with a machine at risk of Electrocution

    Mactec54


  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    813
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    By saying things like this ( Yes... neutral is a ground ) does not help explain anything, Neutral is not a Ground

    In the same post you also had this, (That being said... many use the neutral for ground,) this is not true a Neutral connection can never be used as a Ground, By doing this you put anyone that is in contact with a machine at risk of Electrocution
    If you are going to Quote me please don't edit it..... Here's the rest.

    "its for the return volts of 120V circuits only".

    Like I posted... in a nice way.

    BTW I see you moved on to Bing university.



  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10309
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan911 View Post
    If you are going to Quote me please don't edit it..... Here's the rest.

    "its for the return volts of 120V circuits only".

    Like I posted... in a nice way.

    BTW I see you moved on to Bing university.
    Then you should of posted Neutral its for the return volts of 120V circuits only, Not Yes Neutral is a Ground

    I have to admit you are getting more educated in the basics of NA ac power system, the more I post about it

    Bing university, I have many different platforms that I run, mostly for other countries, so have not moved, just in a different space and time

    Mactec54


Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle

How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle

How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle