Help setting up GS3 Vfd to mach3 and controlling it via modbus

Thread: Help setting up GS3 Vfd to mach3 and controlling it via modbus

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help setting up GS3 Vfd to mach3 and controlling it via modbus

Hello,

I have been posting this around trying to find a solution.

I have set all my devices to use 8bits, Odd, 1 stop bit for the modbus protocol.

The attached images show my various settings.

The scripts I'm using are as follows. I downloaded these from another post and am not familiar with the nomenclature to identify any problems.

M3
    call setmodoutput (0,1)
    call setmodoutput (1,1)
    call setmodoutput (64,600)
    DoSpinCW()

M4
    call setmodoutput (0,1)
    call setmodoutput (1,0)
    call setmodoutput (64,600)
    DoSpinCCW()

M5
    call setmodoutput (0,0)
    call setmodoutput (2,1)
    DoSpinStop()

Spindle Speed
    rpm = GetRPM()
    SetSpinSpeed( rpm )

The following link shows the modbus addresses for the VFD starting at 9.26 (page 5-9 lower right corner)
    https://www.automationdirect.com/sta...s/gs3m/ch5.pdf

If someone can explain to me why I have found a need to drop the first 4 when I enter the address into Mach3 I would appreciate it. When I enter the address as listed I get an "illegal data address" status message.

I also saw another post setting up a GS2 drive where they had also dropped the 4.
    http://www.machsupport.com/forum/ind...c,27376.0.html

The above has a starting register of 2330 and 2331 I have mine set to 2331 and 2332.

What I have observed. With Starting Registers 2331 and 2332

VFD display on startup: Stop, 0 RPM, Forward

In MDI I enter an M4 command and observe that the vfd displays: 0 RPM, Stop, Reverse

M5: Stop, 0 RPM, Forward

M3: External Fault , Reverse, Stop -----the external fault address is 42334, the next address after direction address

When I enter M5: Stop, Forward, External Fault message

If I enter an s command there is no change.

Now if I change my starting addresses to 2330 and 2331 the following is displayed

M4: Run, Forward, 1765 RPM (this is rpm at 60hz) ---Direction has changed, It's running vs stopped, and RPM is not 0
    M5: Stop, Forward, 0 RPM
    M3: Run, Reverse, 17 RPM
    M4: Run, Forward, 17 RPM

The RPM for M4 will remain 1765 until an M3 command is given then both will be 17 following that command. I have no idea why.

If I give an s command, s600 m4, the vfd displays a message of invalid data.

I hope there is enough information available for people to provide me with some insight into what is going on. And what I can do to fix it.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help setting up GS3 Vfd to mach3 and controlling it via modbus-prts-pns-jpg   Help setting up GS3 Vfd to mach3 and controlling it via modbus-moutputs1-jpg   Help setting up GS3 Vfd to mach3 and controlling it via modbus-modbusstatus-cntr-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help setting up GS3 Vfd to mach3 and controlling it via modbus

I have managed to control my spindle through modbus using mach3. I abandoned the method above and decided to use brains instead. For any interested I'm using a GS3 23P0 Drive, a Marathon Y1999 motor, and a USB-rs485 cable. I will be posting my solution, please keep in mind that I'm new to this and don't understand it all, I'm also no professional when it comes to documentation so I expect this to be a bit of a mess.

I have included my Brain file "SpindleControlModbus", you will need to rename the extension on the file from .txt to .brn. Copy it to your mach3 folder then into the folder labelled brains. Hopefully it works.

Rounding Explanation Link
    Rounding number in brains formula

Explanation on Modbus fields
    MODBUS 3

Manual for my particular VFD (see section 5-9 for register values, section 5-75 for communication breakdown)
    DURApulse AC Drives User Manual

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help setting up GS3 Vfd to mach3 and controlling it via modbus-portsettings485-jpg   Help setting up GS3 Vfd to mach3 and controlling it via modbus-usb-rs485com-jpg   Help setting up GS3 Vfd to mach3 and controlling it via modbus-1ports-pinsmod-jpg   Help setting up GS3 Vfd to mach3 and controlling it via modbus-2motoroutputs-nothing-jpg  

Help setting up GS3 Vfd to mach3 and controlling it via modbus-3spindlesetup-jpg   Help setting up GS3 Vfd to mach3 and controlling it via modbus-4modbusconfig-jpg   Help setting up GS3 Vfd to mach3 and controlling it via modbus-5braindiagram-jpg   Help setting up GS3 Vfd to mach3 and controlling it via modbus-6settingoutputtomodbus-jpg  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Program; 03-12-2016 at 06:25 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, thank you so much for posting this information! Guys like you that take the time to help others are very much appreciated! I am eager to try this out on my GS3 as well. On question: Is there something special about the USB-rs485 converter you chose? I am planning on getting a simple, inexpensive one like this unless I need something different.

http://cncmentor.com - open source sharing community and CAD Library

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's nice of you, your welcome. Hopefully configuring it will go smoothly for you.

As far as the USB rs 485 converter I chose, it was because I had ordered the VFD and the motor from automation direct (I have nothing but good things to say about them) and they also sold the converter and I didn't want to bother risking any compatibility issues. That was pretty much my only reason, I didn't shop around, I just included it in my order. When it comes to connecting my converter all I do is plug in the USB end and then connect the RJ12 cable and plug that into the VFD. I'm not sure how one would connect the USB rs485 in your link to the VFD.

Here's a link to the USB rs485 I purchased, it is more expensive

USB-485M

One thing I forgot to mention in my post and I found this out later was the reason for subtracting one from the register value when using modbus.

" Per MODBUS convention, the register address of the slave device is calculated by subtracting 1 from the register name that you specify in the
    master device configuration software"

http://www.micronor.com/products/fil...usTutorial.pdf

Above is the link to the quote, just search the pdf for subtracting and you will find the question.

Downloads
    Uploads

Very interesting. Thank you for the details and the brain file.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great write up (from over 1 year ago). Im going to try this and see how it works for me. I ordered the cable that's recommended and it should be here early next week.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I did all this but still can't get it to work
    what do I need to change on the drive
    i know this is an old post but I don't understand this stuff
    how can it tell if the computer is talking to the drive
    thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jdolecki View Post
    I did all this but still can't get it to work
    what do I need to change on the drive
    i know this is an old post but I don't understand this stuff
    how can it tell if the computer is talking to the drive
    thanks
    Very difficult to say because it can be almost anything if you followed the advise to the letter.

Wrong port number.
    Wrong register numbers.
    VFD configuration error.
    Wrong BOB.

Those are just four common issues because those depend on your individual hardware setup.

https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com
    https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos