Build Thread Replacing old Fanuc AC Spindle Drive with Delta VFD-E and Arduino - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Replacing old Fanuc AC Spindle Drive with Delta VFD-E and Arduino

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Replacing old Fanuc AC Spindle Drive with Delta VFD-E and Arduino

Right, which is what started this whole journey. I have much larger machines with Fanuc Axis motors and a Fanuc Spindle motor and was looking for a way to control them with alternative to a Fanuc Drive. Most retrofit drives are too small to drive larger motors. At least that was the case a few years ago when this started. I'm not sure what new technology is out there these days. I remember looking at Gecko drives which were strong enough for the Axis motors, but they didn't have a Spindle drive.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Replacing old Fanuc AC Spindle Drive with Delta VFD-E and Arduino

Testing a Fanuc SDU

Downloads
    Uploads

I am also looking for solution for same application. ....

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

barchdesigns

Have you come up with a solution for converting the encoder from a Sincos signal to a Quadrature signal? I've done some work on building a circuit. But my problem is coming down to Signal noise. I've tried everything I can think about for shielding, but the VFD destroys my signal. But on the bench it works fairly well.
    I haven't been able to get my VFD to run my Fanuc motor at a reasonable amperage, unless I hit 120hz+ Anything below that and it dumps too much current. I tried working with the manufacture, but everything they suggested has failed. Then they told me to run it as a Permeant Magnet motor, and I stopped listening at that point.

Downloads
    Uploads

Metzenw, I have not converted that, but I have that same Sin Cos signal on my old analog Bridgeport scales/readout. I experimented with it a bit, but ultimately found that it was easier to replace the scale on the Bridgeport to a TTL logic level style instead of trying to convert the SinCos into usable quadrature coding.

Looking back on it now, I would bet there are some IC chips off the shelf that would convert SinCos to TTL. Personally when I was working on it last year I was using an Arduino attempting to capture the Sin Cos values and do the math to output the quadrature. I never got it fully working that way and replaced the scale instead.

Can you solve your problem by looking at it from a different way? Does your VFD have an input card that accepts SinCos inputs? My Delta VFD had extra cards you could buy and plug in to interface different setups.
    What about going back to an analog Fanuc Drive? They are dirt cheap these days used on eBay. Was your machine an original fanuc drive setup, or was it a different control system?

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think there are any converters that will work with a fanuc encoder. Assuming you're is the same as mine. My encoder isn't a differential encoder. It has a A\•A, B\•B signal. A is a 500mVPP at 2.5vdc RMS. •A is the 2.5vdc reference. Any converters I've seen it designed for a 1VPP differential signal. I have another avenue in going to explorer that coming week. Mitsubishi looks like they use something similar. It appears they have a card in their motors that converts or amps the signal.

My VFD does have a SinCos option, but it's meant for a 1VPP differential signal.

The old drive system was a defunct DC motor. I had the fanuc motor laying around and wanted to use it. But instead I bought a Frame 215 10hp with a shaft encoder to use instead. But I'll keep working on getting this fanuc motor working with a VFD. I want to create a solution that I can build and sell. These older fanuc motors are getting cheap.

Last edited by Metzenw; 02-28-2021 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Stupid html

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Guys!
    I see this thread has been dead for about a year now.
    But hopefully I can ask a quick question here, as the author seems to know a bit about these fanuc spindle drives.

I want to retrofit my old mill with Fanuc 0-M, with Masso or Centroid.

The Masso has a 0-10v and CW/CCW signal to control the spindle. Can I still use the original Fanuc Drive with these singnals?
    What kind of signal will the Fanuc Drive be able to feed back to the controller for actual speed?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by eMTea View Post
    Hi Guys!
    I want to retrofit my old mill with Fanuc 0-M, with Masso or Centroid.

Can I still use the original Fanuc Drive with these singnals?
    What kind of signal will the Fanuc Drive be able to feed back to the controller for actual speed?
    The 0 Controller is a very capable controller. Unless the controller is beyond reasonable repair, I wouldn't retrofit it.

That being said, find the model number of the fanuc drive and look for the fanuc manual. That will give you the pin outs of the drive. If you google "Centroid Fanuc Retrofit" you'll find a PDF that has a little information on spindle drives.

I haven't played with the drives, but it will most likely output a Sin/Cos signal. Which centroid can't read, unless you get an Interpolator. Which are around $500. Cheaper if you have the skills to build one, which I don't have cause I'm micro electronics retarded.

barchdesigns

I found this while googling.
    https://www.dynomotion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1045
    I tried to create an account to contact them for more info, but they never let me finish registering.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your input Metzenw!

The controller and machine is in perfect working order, and running good.

The problem is, I'm a 21 century guy, with an urge to operate a very sturdy peice of machine, with some more up to date functionality.

If something fails on this machine, I will struggle to get it up and running again.
    If I retrofit it now, I can still sell the electronics for a reasonable price, to help med fund the upgrade.

I can have digitizing. I can have an alot more user friendly GUI. Directly connected to network folders, huge memory for g-codes.

I found the Fanuc Retrofit schematics in the Centroid manual. It actually explains the inputs of the drive really well (except I don't understand inputs for high gear / low gear).

The servos are ok to replace (will probably use 1,3kw DMM) and tool changer seems fairly ok to program.
    If the Fanuc spindle drive seems to be as easy to implement as it do for now, it shouldn't be too overwhelming to do this upgrade.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have read all of this with great interest, even though much of it is way beyond my abilities and understanding. There looks to be more knowledge about these drives gathered on this thread than I have found anywhere else. With that said I have a few questions that need a Fanuc for dummies answers.

I have a Hardinge CHNC II with a GN10T control and a A060b-0655-H106 AC spindle drive. I like the eMTea am planning a Centroid conversion for my lathe.

The lathe has not been run for quite sometime and was shut down because of Siemens axis driver problems. In an effort to sort everything out for the conversion and make sure the spindle drive will function I used the Centroid retrofit schematic mentioned above and isolated the drive, except for the CN2 plug with contains the pulse generator feedback.

I jumpered the estop command and the forward direction command and applied 1.5 volts to the o-10 volt with a battery and immediately get an Alarm 02. Nothing else in the drive inputs is even used except the alarm reset which will reset the the alarm after the 1.5 volts is removed, so I think that should put the drive int he ready position.

The other thing I noticed is that the load meter which is just a light bar, will max out with it just in the ready position and the motor not running. You can roll the motor a little and it will go from full load to no load just by where the motor is at.

Any help or ideas would appreciated. I have checked and have all of the proper voltages everywhere I can see that I need them.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I partially answered my question, in that I have another old CHNC II that has an A06B-6044-H008 drive sitting here and I disconnected the drive on it, jumpered the same wires applied 1.5 volts with a D cell battery and the spindle motor runs, so I have learned that my assumptions about how to make the drive run are correct, but that just leads to bigger questions.

What is causing the alarm 02. As I said before the alarm occurs as soon as the 1.5 volts is applied. The drive does not make a sound and the motor does not move at all. What I notice is that the load meter with the drive in the ready position shows a full load with the motor off, depending on the position it is in. When rotated by hand the meter goes from full load to zero sporadically as it make as revolution. I read somewhere that could mean a bad pulse generator on the motor, but I am not sure how to check that.

I am also wondering if there is a way to eliminate the motor feedback to the drive at least to check it and possible for good, since I am changing to Centroid and the spindle encoder will connect directly to the control board for spindle position.

Thanks Gary

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123