How Close to Charlotte, NC are you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Close to Charlotte, NC are you?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How Close to Charlotte, NC are you?

I'm a disabled hobbyist (NEWBIE) hoping to find a Guru, better yet a friend near Charlotte who can offer me a little advice from time to time.

Because of my disability I can't travel very far. I'm mostly interested in woodworking and/or carving.

At least let me know where you're located!

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by ger21; 07-03-2017 at 03:17 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How Close to Charloot, NC are tou?

Hi! I'm a newbie as well, and am a hobbyist woodworker with my own home made CNC. I live in Maiden NC, from Charlotte that is north using Brookshire Freeway (Hwy 16). Not sure if that's too far for you to go, but I'm willing to help out with anything I can.

Downloads
    Uploads

So, you know where "Charloot" is? Just wish I could SPELL!

Know exactly where Maiden is, been there a few times. Went right by it many, many times on my way to Corning in Hickory. They were a big client for me years ago.

I'm disabled from a massive stroke at a young age and have finally decided CNC Routing would be a good hobby for me. I just completed (a few minutes ago) the import paperwork for my CNC. Hope I did everything right!

I would have preferred t build my own but I really can't anymore. I lost 50% of the use on my whole right side from the "event" as the doctors called it.

I'd like to pick your brain from time to time and maybe talk my wife into bringing me up for a visit someday.

What software(s) are you using for your CNC? I've bought mach3 and am thinking hard about the Vectric products; Aspire vs. VCarve Pro. Any advice?

Downloads
    Uploads

I live up in hickory in the SoFo district( you know, south of forty&#128512. Foundry, woodworking, homemade CNC running mach3.

In the words of the Toolman--If you didn't make it yourself, it's not really yours!
    Remember- done beats perfect every time!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat104 View Post
    So, you know where "Charloot" is? Just wish I could SPELL!

Know exactly where Maiden is, been there a few times. Went right by it many, many times on my way to Corning in Hickory. They were a big client for me years ago.

I'm disabled from a massive stroke at a young age and have finally decided CNC Routing would be a good hobby for me. I just completed (a few minutes ago) the import paperwork for my CNC. Hope I did everything right!

I would have preferred t build my own but I really can't anymore. I lost 50% of the use on my whole right side from the "event" as the doctors called it.

I'd like to pick your brain from time to time and maybe talk my wife into bringing me up for a visit someday.

What software(s) are you using for your CNC? I've bought mach3 and am thinking hard about the Vectric products; Aspire vs. VCarve Pro. Any advice?
    I'm using Mach3 CAM software, vCarve desktop for my CAD software. I found the vectric stuff very easy to learn. There are a ton of videos online and vectric has a great message board forum too. You are more than welcome to come by for a visit, my shop is easy to find and I'm available most weekends with notice, sometimes in the afternoon hours too during the week.

I'm finding CNC a fun area to work in, I'm learning a lot and while I likely can help someone newer than myself, I'm sure I have a lot to learn still. I'm up to a challenge for new ideas to tackle. If there is anything you want to know, feel free to ask and I'll help all I can.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How Close to Charlotte, NC are you?

I've got a non-cnc question for you.

My daughter is a Pharmacist in Augusta, GA and wants to transfer to the Hickory area.

Is there a good part of Hickory that she should look at? Is there a different town like Maiden or Conover that she should consider?

She's a young 25 year old that will need an apartment to rent.

Have a great & safe Independence Day!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've got a non-cnc question for you.

My daughter is a Pharmacist in Augusta, GA and wants to transfer to the Hickory area.

Is there a good part of Hickory that she should look at? Is there a different town like Maiden or Conover that she should consider?

She's a young 25 year old that will need an apartment to rent.

Have a great & safe Independence Day!
    I don't know a lot about Hickory, even though I go there often. I'd say that there are places in that area that are great, but I'm not sure about any specific one. I know there are bound to be places that she would like in the area, just have to look around some and maybe do some online looking as well. I work in Mooresville, and know that there are tons of places there that are good for apartment living, along with town homes and the like. That's a bit of a distance from Hickory though. I guess it depends on how far she's willing to drive, Newton/Conover is good, also surrounding areas from there.

Downloads
    Uploads

Checking in from Raleigh... Wish there was more of a scene here that I knew of. I would love to collaborate on projects, but unfortunately no time for travel.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hickory is a good place with very few 'bad' areas. The south where I live is called Mountain View and has a lot of good developments in many price ranges. The north part(where my daughter lives) is very nice with generally a bit pricier. My daughter is a gymnastics coach and can recommend several good realtors. Newton and Conover to the east and Hildebran to the west. There are a lot of good choices.

In the words of the Toolman--If you didn't make it yourself, it's not really yours!

Downloads
    Uploads

Checking in, another newbie. I live at Morehead City, NC. I want to buy a used CNC Router. I’m thinking BOBS CNC E4. Has anyone found a website where used BOBS CNC E4 can be found?

Sam Kale

Downloads
    Uploads

Is there anyone near Franklin,NC (in the western mountians). I'm going to start wiring up my CNC milling project. I am still very new to this hobby.

John

Downloads
    Uploads

I am in Valdese near Hickory. Would love to meet up any CNC folks in the area. I have DIY X2 mill and built my controller. Into making gun parts and just learning...
    Let's meet for a beer...

Downloads
    Uploads

I am in Valdese anybody want to meet up and share notes...

Quote Originally Posted by Pcooper View Post
    I'm using Mach3 CAM software, vCarve desktop for my CAD software. I found the vectric stuff very easy to learn. There are a ton of videos online and vectric has a great message board forum too. You are more than welcome to come by for a visit, my shop is easy to find and I'm available most weekends with notice, sometimes in the afternoon hours too during the week.

I'm finding CNC a fun area to work in, I'm learning a lot and while I likely can help someone newer than myself, I'm sure I have a lot to learn still. I'm up to a challenge for new ideas to tackle. If there is anything you want to know, feel free to ask and I'll help all I can.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello, I would love to "talk shop" and exchange ideas. I'm a 59 year old, disabled man (stroke) who can't drive anymore though so it might be tough. I'm a home hobbyist who really enjoys my CNC...well....I enjoy it when the garage is not so stinking hot! I have a 24"x48" Chinese machine running Mach3 and Aspire.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello, I would love to "talk shop" and exchange ideas. I'm a 59 year old, disabled man (stroke) who can't drive anymore though so it might be tough. I'm a home hobbyist who really enjoys my CNC...well....I enjoy it when the garage is not so stinking hot! I have a 24"x48" Chinese machine running Mach3 and Aspire.
    I am 53 and converted a Harbor Freight Mill to a CNC X2. Would love to learn and share ideas. I am wanting to work on guns and just have fun with it. I live off exit 113 I40. If you would like to get together let me know.

Downloads
    Uploads

Handguns or long guns? I'd love to start making custom grips for 1911's. I'd love to get together someday soon. My daughter lives in Hickory and maybe we could plan to meet when we're up there soon. In the mean time if you find yourself in Charlotte we're just off I-77 (exit #90 in SC) near Carowinds. I work primarily in wood & plastic though my machine is built for many ferrous metals, but I "chicken" to cut metals yet. I've had my cnc about 2 years now, but I have the experience of MAYBE 6 months. My stroke only allows me to only do so much, but man it's fun! Even my mistakes are fun.

Downloads
    Uploads

Handguns or long guns? I'd love to start making custom grips for 1911's. I'd love to get together someday soon. My daughter lives in Hickory and maybe we could plan to meet when we're up there soon. In the mean time if you find yourself in Charlotte we're just off I-77 (exit #90 in SC) near Carowinds. I work primarily in wood & plastic though my machine is built for many ferrous metals, but I "chicken" to cut metals yet. I've had my cnc about 2 years now, but I have the experience of MAYBE 6 months. My stroke only allows me to only do so much, but man it's fun! Even my mistakes are fun.
    I work off arrowood rd. So maybe I could stop by one day after work.
    I got your PM.. what are your afternoon's like

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Im up for a meet but tbe next month is a problem. Tomorrow ans sunday i will have my foundry set up at the murrays mill festival. Then in two weeks to oklahoma for a wedding, then two weeks later i have the Hart square festival, again the foundry.
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by beone View Post
    Im up for a meet but tbe next month is a problem. Tomorrow ans sunday i will have my foundry set up at the murrays mill festival. Then in two weeks to oklahoma for a wedding, then two weeks later i have the Hart square festival, again the foundry.
    Dave
    What is Murray's mill..

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Most every afternoon is free. I try to do all of my doctors appointment and therapy before noon. Don't know where you work but Arrowood Road & Hwy 49 intersection is about 10 minutes away.

Murry's Mill is a historic site located @ 1489 Murrays Mill Rd, Catawba, NC 28609 near Hickory...I'm pretty sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast