New Member From Cape Town

Thread: New Member From Cape Town

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New Member From Cape Town

Hi All

I am based in Cape Town and has just started building my first CNC.

I am building a Root 3 CNC but with my guide rails at 40x40mm.

I will start a build progress thread as soon as I start receiving my first parts.

Looking forward to contributing and learning from the other members here.

Cheers!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New Member From Cape Town

Welcome Skillet. I moved to Somerset West from Port Elizabeth a year ago. I have been working on a Tormach PCNC770 for a year and during that time I also converted my BF20L milling machine to a CNC machine. I run it with Mach3 and is also still learning the ropes.

Regards
    Ockert

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New Member From Cape Town

Quote Originally Posted by ockert View Post
    Welcome Skillet. I moved to Somerset West from Port Elizabeth a year ago. I have been working on a Tormach PCNC770 for a year and during that time I also converted my BF20L milling machine to a CNC machine. I run it with Mach3 and is also still learning the ropes.

Regards
    Ockert

Hi Ockert

Great to hear from someone local! I have to admit that I am so new to this that I had to go google the machines you mentioned above.

These are some serious machinces and so far out of me DIY build’s league!

I am waiting for most of my items to still arrive from overseas so my project has not gotten Of it’s feet yet. I need to wait to get my gantry plates cut in any way. I did not have much luck with this so far. I ended up thinking of asking a family member to lasercut these from 6mm MDF and then just glue them up to make 18mm thick plates. I can then mill proper plates when the machine starts running. I also got some designing practice using Fusion 360 to create my own dxf’s for these.

Are you using your machines as a hobby or to generate income? These are obviously metal capable machines. I would be very impressed if I manage to mill some aluminum with my build, even if I need to mill shallow and slow.

Oh! And welcome to the Western Cape!!!

Keep in touch!
    Jacques

Last edited by Skillet_ZA; 07-08-2018 at 03:40 AM.

ericks

Hi Jacques, welcome Looking forward to see your build. I moved from Rustenburg to Adelaide few years ago...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    Hi Jacques, welcome Looking forward to see your build. I moved from Rustenburg to Adelaide few years ago...
    Hi Erick

Thank you!!

Are you still into CNC down there?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Skillet

Any progress on your machine.I am where you were a year ago.The dreadful design phase.Any info on local suppliers for good quality structural aluminium profiles.I am looking to build a 1.2 x 1.8 meter CNC router.

All the best

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Pottas

Another year has gone by (or is it longer) cos I am where you were when you wrote to Skillet ha ha

Just wondering if you have made progress. I have just joined so new to this forum, you might well have posted something somewhere else about your build, I will check. If so ignore this will catch you on the other side

Cheers John Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottas View Post
    Hi Skillet

Any progress on your machine.I am where you were a year ago.The dreadful design phase.Any info on local suppliers for good quality structural aluminium profiles.I am looking to build a 1.2 x 1.8 meter CNC router.

All the best

ericks

Quote Originally Posted by Skillet_ZA View Post
    Hi Erick

Thank you!!

Are you still into CNC down there?
    Hi....sorry i somehow missed your post. Yes still into and loving it

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    I have missed the updates on this thread. I will really need to spend some time on this machine again. I will make a point of taking some new pictures and come and post here. By the look of this thread it seems that I should not complete the machine at all if I plan to stay in Cape Town. Is the whole of SA in Australia!?!

ericks

I have missed the updates on this thread. I will really need to spend some time on this machine again. I will make a point of taking some new pictures and come and post here. By the look of this thread it seems that I should not complete the machine at all if I plan to stay in Cape Town. Is the whole of SA in Australia!?!
    Thanks....i am waiting to see your progress
    Yes i think there are lots of us here and many still moving over. I just finished my own build, it was great but there are still a few bit's to do. Problem is too many projects going on...

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Re: New Member From Cape Town

Hallo all.

I have just finished my Root 3 CNC Build about two weeks ago.

I had the machine cut its own waste board last weekend and also cut its own holding down clamps on Tuesday.

I live in Cape Town as well.

Northern Suburbs.

New Member From Cape Town-michiels-root-3-cnc-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Member From Cape Town-michiels-root-3-cnc-jpg  
    Last edited by KarooKlong; 12-05-2019 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Photo Upload

Downloads
    Uploads

I almost got excited when I saw that you moved to Adelaide because I am from Adelaide in the Eastern Cape in the RSA!