Copy sketch - interesting issue/question, looking for ideas

Thread: Copy sketch - interesting issue/question, looking for ideas

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Copy sketch - interesting issue/question, looking for ideas

We design tooling, which we base off of a solid model. We then make punches and dies from that madel. In order to maintain consistency, we use the same master model for each component, removing features that do not apply. All of this is centered around a fixed point in the master model.

Issues that are inherent (and I hope someone has ideas):

• When I copy and paste a sketch in a new omponent file, it is completely undefined.
    • The above means I cannot touch anything in the sketch because it could screw up the new component.
    • If I fully define the sketch (using the feature in SW), I get a massive weird dimensions and relation ships.

What I'd like to do is copy, paste, and have it locked to the base model such that when I change the base, it propagates throughout the model.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Copy sketch - interesting issue/question, looking for ideas

Sounds like a good time to use sketch blocks. Or save a copy with only the properly drawn sketch and save it as a part file, aka, “tool A template”. No solids in the part file, just a sketch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman2332 View Post
    We design tooling, which we base off of a solid model. We then make punches and dies from that madel. In order to maintain consistency, we use the same master model for each component, removing features that do not apply. All of this is centered around a fixed point in the master model.

Issues that are inherent (and I hope someone has ideas):

• When I copy and paste a sketch in a new omponent file, it is completely undefined.
    • The above means I cannot touch anything in the sketch because it could screw up the new component.
    • If I fully define the sketch (using the feature in SW), I get a massive weird dimensions and relation ships.

What I'd like to do is copy, paste, and have it locked to the base model such that when I change the base, it propagates throughout the model.
    Hi Wolfman,

You could try a work-around like this:

1) Create an assembly with your punch/die base template and insert your master model.
    2) Mate parts so that you can use the features from your master part
    3) Edit base part in assembly mode and use Convert entities to copy sketch from master model to punch base ( this will assure that your base file newly created sketch is linked to master part.

Another workaround is to create a library features with form tools.

Hope this helps.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks - I will try that and post results

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmmm - that sounds interesting. I am not sure I can do that, as the part will require different punches to form. Will try that this week.

Downloads
    Uploads

Make your sketches defined to the sketch elements. When you copy and paste a sketch the "anchor" (usually the origin) is missing. So you will have anything based on that undefined. If you define a sketch to its related geometry then you can drag it wherever you want. But what you really want is to make blocks you can drag and drop as a single entity without worrying about an anchor point. If you need to adjust the block you can explode it and modify it as a new sketch or modify it as a block and save it as a new block for other parts.