Need Help! Opening a file created in Fusion360

Thread: Opening a file created in Fusion360

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Opening a file created in Fusion360

Hello,

I have attached a iges file that was sent to me that was created in fusion 360.

I need to make several modifications to the file in Solidworks and it has several issues that I am struggling with. Can someone take a look at this file and tell me how they would approach converting it to a solid that can be worked with in Solidworks. Right now from what I can see it is just surfaces and hollow with surface

I know this is going to seem very elementary to many of you out there, but unfortunately I don't work with the Solidworks on a daily basis and am always looking to enhance my skill sets so that I can better support the students I work with.

Greatly appreciate any help.

Dale

Similar Threads:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Opening a file created in Fusion360

Try this. Sorry trying to attach files.

Downloads
    Uploads

Good Morning Routerfiend,

This looks great did you do this by converting the file or did you redraw the part?

If you converted it can you tell me the steps you took to do so? I know this is allot to ask, but the people I work with will have allot of files made it Fusion 360 so I really need to get a firm understanding on the process of converting files like this.

Thanks again your help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Dale

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dale. Sorry but I cheated and re drew the parts, It was a simple part (s) to redraw so I did what I knew would work for you.The best way to convert the parts would be to open them in solidworks and then " save as" and select part from the dropdown tab. It`s not gauranteed to work every time but then i`ve never actually tried to convert anything from fusion 360. This is a simple way of locking an assembly together too , when you want to use the cavity function for instance if you want to make a moud of a part. You then have the part hopefully in an editable state.
    I have had some fun and games trying to edeit imported models and I know from experience that they can be troublesome as they are nearly always a solid with nothing to edit.

All the best

Syd

Downloads
    Uploads

What version of SW? Here is mine in 2018. And I roo, like routerfiend, would have just started from scratch. But since the question is what steps I would take....

Open IGES (obviously) in SW
    Isolate or open the offending part outside of the assembly.
    Create a sketch on the plane of the notched section of the cylinder.
    Create a sketch on a center plane, in my case I used the front plane. Create "intersection curves" with the cylinder surfaces.
    Delete the offending surface body with the "insert -> features -> delete /keep body" command
    Revolve the intersection curve sketch in to a solid with the "revolved boss/base" command
    Use the notched section sketch and cut the new solid with the "extrude cut" command

Now you have a solid. However it is not paramaterized. Depending on what you need to do you can use the "move faces" command to push and pull the surfaces or create new sketched to poke holes etc... You can also break the links in the intersection sketch and then add the dimensions you want to control.
    Roll through the history steps in the attached file to get the idea.

Hope this makes sense.