Just starting in SolidWorks - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just starting in SolidWorks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Just starting in SolidWorks

SW/HSMXpress will definitely allow you to created tool paths from just a sketch. I've done it before. But SW2013 and prior don't play well with single line fonts, so depending on which version you have, that might be an issue.

What type of file are you importing from TC? Depending on how it stores text information it might not import correctly to SW.

C|

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is both the SW and the TC files. TC is a dxf and missing the threaded holes. Thanks, Guys.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

just downloaded and did trace on the letters no problem. There is no way to extrude cut it though.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for that. I did find out how to import a picture and trace it, but it won't actually trace the existing text in the model.
    How did you do that?

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

in the part, just select trace and all the usual setup stuff (build a template at some point so you don't have to keep redoing it every time you program an engrave) then in the contours tab of the trace select the blank space then in your model click on any line in the sketch. from their it's just filling out the machining options. When you are using trace to engrave, make sure you click stock to leave and but 0 for the edge and a negative value for the bottom. That negative value is how deep you will go.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks again.
    I am going to have to devote a day or two just for this. I have been doing an hour here and there and it will take more than that I think.
    The part that I am making here was normally done in Sheetcam. 2 Ops. Face and side. I want to do the back op in 3D instead so I won't have to do a bunch of hand finishing.
    I am using Cut 3D for it, however I ran into some issues with it. It doesn't support tool changes or coolant etc. So I basically have to write some of the Gcode myself. Not big trouble and I only need to do it once.

I will have to find something else that I want to try the adaptive clearing on. HSMXpress is not going to do 3D. Bummer.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just picked up fusion 360 for a year for $300, its built on the HSM kernel and does 3+2 axis. I haven't played with it yet, but in videos the interface options are pretty much identical to HSM and $300 for 3d cam is worth the risk for me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for that tip. I'll give it a look. I have used Cut 3D with my little mill before and it worked okay. At the time I was doing manual switches on the coolant and spindle, so didn't even realize the coolant not being supported. I didn't have a tool table setup then either. I do now. Both mills have the same tool tables so I can interchange tools between them.
    I think I bought this Cut 3D in 2007, so maybe time to upgrade.

Lee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12