How to change drawing scale

Thread: How to change drawing scale

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to change drawing scale

Im drawing a building in SolidEdge 2D and I cant seem to find how to change the scale.
    I have changed the units of measure to "ft. inches", but if I draw a line and enter the dimension "24 ft. 0 inches" it makes the line so big that it is way beyond the size of the paper.
    I want my dimensions to be actual building dimensions and still fit on the page.
    How do I scale down the image to 1/8" = 1 foot?
    thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi APD CNC,
    i've had the same problem. Solution was easy. In my SE 2D i have a model sheet (don't know if the translation is correct) to draw 1:1. Then you just have to push "insert from model sheet, SE will ask you to choose a scale. I've got the german SE, so i don't know the english names for sheet and button.
    Greets
    Martin

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I dug up my username and password to ask if anyone has found a better answer to this question. I couldn't find anything on ST5 that fit ncm's description and I have the exact same problem as APD_CNC. Thanks for any additional help.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Okie_XJ View Post
    I dug up my username and password to ask if anyone has found a better answer to this question. I couldn't find anything on ST5 that fit ncm's description and I have the exact same problem as APD_CNC. Thanks for any additional help.
    The description that ncm has given him is you would use the "2d model" view to do your drawing and dims. Then, when ready to print, you can draw a selection for the "sheet" of the model, and apply it to a sheet. There will be a scale option when doing this and the dims would relate.

Here's a guy that does a quick video of where to do your drawing.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm going to bump this yet again as there has to be a much simpler answer than what I'm seeing. If not then this program, even though free and thus insulated from most complaints, would be a perfect example of German Rube Goldberg over-engineering.

I want to lay out a sheet that is 36" wide by 24" high to draw the front facade of a building in feet and inches 1" in the sheet = 1' to scale.
    That simple.
    Is it seriously some elaborate Kabuki of a dozen different specialized processes just to get something that simple in SolidEdge?
    I just cannot believe that's true (or maybe it is, the comical user-unfriendliness thus explaining why it's free...)

Forgive the rant. I have two solid days trying to figure this out to no avail.
    Any help?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Buildings View Post
    Is it seriously some elaborate Kabuki of a dozen different specialized processes just to get something that simple in SolidEdge?
    Any help?
    Elaborate kabuki? The video shows just doing your drawing at scale, then just use a sheet of the output size (in your case, 36x24) and print that.

The video is only 4 minutes. Did you watch it?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Elaborate kabuki? The video shows just doing your drawing at scale, then just use a sheet of the output size (in your case, 36x24) and print that.

The video is only 4 minutes. Did you watch it?
    I did watch it.
    Where in the video does it show me how to scale the drawing tool itself so I'm applying dimensions that are scaled for buildings rather than machining small parts?
    It's just bizarrely counter-intuitive that one cannot set the sheet size and scale with an incredibly simple series of processes.

I want a 36" X 24" sheet scaled to 1" = 1' and when I draw a line, the little dimension box renders how many feet that scaled line represents.

There must be something simple I'm not getting here.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think your supposed to draw in scale. The dims will be in scale. Then for printing, you make the sheet. I may not be interpreting what your after.

Do you mean you want to actually draw an inch, and then dimension it and have the dimension read 1 foot?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to change drawing scale

was there ever an answer to this seemingly simple problem,, i am having the exact same problem, when i copy/paste my model into sheet 1, it is too large, when i scale the model 1:20, it makes the drawing the correct size but the dimensions are 20x smaller and the dimension lines/arrows are far too large,, seems im missing somthing simple,,

Downloads
    Uploads

You draw and dim in a model, then you create a sheet, "SCALED" for printing.... These guys are doing it backwards. You don't create a scaled sheet to draw in at a rescaled size....

If you want to draw and dim a 1000 foot building, do that, then create the sheet that fits the paper and scale you want. at that point, 1 mm will be 1 foot etc.....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with BurrMan. I've been using Solid Edge since 2001 and in general, with any CAD software, 2D or 3D, you always create your drawings or models in full scale. The 2D model tool in the draft environment is made for creating a 2D view within the draft file in full scale. The work flow goes like this:
    1. Create a new draft file with whatever border you like
    2. Go to the sketching tab and select "2D model". Solid Edge will prompt you that a 2D model has not yet been created. Select yes to go to the view.
    3. Draw your model in full scale. Here's one important note - the layers list has a layer called "auto hide". I recommend you put your dimensions on that layer so they don't show up when you make your view later on.
    4. Look at the bottom of the screen - there are now two tabs - one called "2D model" and one called "Sheet 1". Click on "Sheet 1"
    5. You are now back to your main drawing with your border. It should still have nothing in it.
    6. Go back up to and hit the 2D model button on the toolbar. You will see you model. Put a window around it. You will now automatically go back to your border sheet
    7. If your model is way bigger than the border, this is the time to use the scale tool. Use an appropriate scale to make you model fit in the border.
    8. Now, when you use the dimensioning tools on sheet one, Solid Edge will automatically use the full size dimensions. You can now adjust the scale of the view any way you want and the full size dimensions will remain.

It seems a little awkward at first, but drawing in full scale is industry standard in CAD. I'll make a video demonstrating this. I'm using the full version, but in draft, the buttons should be similar if not the same.

Kyle

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

My reply was pretty wordy so here is a video that demonstrates the steps listed above. Note that the dimensions I used to control the size of the rectangle in 2D view are on the auto hide layer and don't show up when I place the view on sheet one.

2015-09-29_1514 - kjoiner's library

Kyle