Solid Edge Advantages/ Disadvantages

Thread: Solid Edge Advantages/ Disadvantages

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Solid Edge Advantages/ Disadvantages

To start out I know nothing about CAD. I've tried Google Sketchup, didn't like it. Tried Gsimple, but didn't get very far. I recently downloaded Solid Edge 2D, haven't done much with it, but I have gotten farther with it than anything else. Seems like they have alot of tutorials and instructional DVDs that can be purchased. I have no problem with purchasing the DVDs if this is a good program to start with and eventually upgrade to 3D. I know that everybody has their favorite program and this one is better than that one. I really don't know which program to use, but I need something that is "easy" to learn. I do not have alot of patience when it comes to sitting down and learning. Especially if it takes longer to learn it than it would to do manually on the mill. Back to Solid Edge 2d, I don't know what problems I will run into down the road. I am going to use Mach 3, am I going to have problems when I try to convert a drawing into G code or something else that I don't know yet? Pretty much of everything that I will be doing is 2.5D (I guess that's what it's called) stuff. I know I can try everybody's demos, but I don't have alot of free time to go "shopping". I appreciate your guy's help and advice.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by ger21; 06-06-2009 at 02:49 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I use solid edge 2D. Just save the fine as dxf when you want to start the conversion process. Then use a CAM such as ace converter or CAMBAM.

Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ranchak View Post
    To start out I know nothing about CAD. I've tried Google Sketchup, didn't like it. Tried Gsimple, but didn't get very far. I recently downloaded Solid Edge 2D, haven't done much with it, but I have gotten farther with it than anything else. Seems like they have alot of tutorials and instructional DVDs that can be purchased. I have no problem with purchasing the DVDs if this is a good program to start with and eventually upgrade to 3D. I know that everybody has their favorite program and this one is better than that one. I really don't know which program to use, but I need something that is "easy" to learn. I do not have alot of patience when it comes to sitting down and learning. Especially if it takes longer to learn it than it would to do manually on the mill. Back to Solid Edge 2d, I don't know what problems I will run into down the road. I am going to use Mach 3, am I going to have problems when I try to convert a drawing into G code or something else that I don't know yet? Pretty much of everything that I will be doing is 2.5D (I guess that's what it's called) stuff. I know I can try everybody's demos, but I don't have alot of free time to go "shopping". I appreciate your guy's help and advice.
    Hi ranchak~
    If you'll allow me to comiserate - Sounds like I'm pretty much in the same boat, but I think we're on the right track. I haven't ordered a single part to build my CNC yet - I'm in the information gathering stage. From past experience I found that what will work best for me is to get the learning curves mastered (not so much fun) before I build the machine (fun). I don't want to build a nice machine only to find that I've made mistakes in my choices about how I'm going to run it. So my learning path will be: 1. Play with the software and learn its limits (or mine, ha!) 2. Learn about the electronics interfacing (drivers, power supply, etc.) 3. Apply what I've learned to making the actual machine.

I was on 'Build Your Own CNC Router' (Build Your Own CNC Router Machine) site recently. Patrick, (the CNC guru there) has experience with, and recommends Solid Edge 2D and Mach3 CAD/CAM software for an 'entry level budget'. (He prefers AutoCAD but I'm in no position to buy that) I've already downloaded Solid Edge 2D and was pleasantly surprised at how robust it is. It's important that whatever the CAD software brand, it needs to be able to convert/import .DXF files and also save .DXF files/revisions, which I believe are required in Mach3 to produce toolpaths. I haven't yet downloaded the Mach3 demo software, but I read that you can disable the printer drivers and work with it 'experimentally' to learn about how it works - sounds great to me! I also read that the Mach3 demo will limit output to 500 lines of G-code, so it's actually able to be used with your machine so you can evaluate it in real time.

CAMBAM also sounds like it holds promise - I simply haven't made up my mind yet about all this stuff and need to do more research before I spend my hard-earned money for licensing.

Back to SE2D...'Yes', there is a learning curve. 'No', learning curves are not the most fun thing to overcome, especially if you're feeling rushed. I do have some limited experience with other CAD software. I went through the included tutorials and like what I see and believe that it will work for me. I could easily go to the table and draw out plans for my guitars as I've done for many years but I'm trying to think of overcoming this learning curve as a worthwhile investment of my time. It's been said that anything worth having is worth working for...

I do feel 'better' about this after reading testimony from Patrick, who has used it successfully and speaks well of it.

I know that I'll be in for some frustrating moments solving problems while I learn how all this stuff works, but I'm trying to keep a positive attitude - If other people can do this - SO CAN I! I know that I'm not alone. Everyone starts at ground zero and everyone has the same concerns as you do, so don't get all hung up on the little things. You can do this! Seimens has a newsgroup, user forum, and other tutorials.

You can also import other CNC .DXF files, for instance, "Download JGRO’s Design in DXF format" (CNCzone.com-Machinist Community Forums - Welcome Page - Welcome Page) to speed up learning.

IMHO, observing what others have done is a great way to learn. I downloaded the JGRO files and have been fooling around with them in SE2D. This is cool stuff!

I don't know if any of this helps you or not, but you have both my sympathies and my best wishes going forward with this. At least you know you're not alone in the boat! Ha!

Dale,
    Nielsen Custom Guitars

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

well, i personally use autocad for our machine (punching). had no problem with the conversion, but i must add that u don't see the G-code being written, you only have a simulation

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My experience with cad is as follows. VX user from V9 to V14.5 when it turned into ZW3D and I have now dropped it. Three year user of SE and got on board when they released ST1.
    My first question is are you intending to be a hobbiest or do you plan on aquiring skills and work that will make you money. If the first is true then you can get by with minimal programs and stuff that does not do much in cad but also as a result does not get to complicated.
    If however you are serious then the first thing I can tell you is that good cad programs, yes I mean every one of them, all have a rather steep learning curve for those who venture there for the first time. There is no simple good 3D modeler out there and there is no 2D program worth a flip compared to 3D when you need to see parts as they really appear and be able to create assemblies so you can do interference checks to verify that what you have done will even fit or work. 2D just can't do these things. I personally think that the Synchronous or "direct editing" of 3D parts in Solid Edge is the wave of the future and it is all I use now. But then I also create cam plans off of 3D shapes and here once again I can't imagine going back to just lines and whatnot in 2D for my cam plans. Now I know that in cam I do use a mix of 3D and 2D geometry for the cam plans but in 3D parts there is no substitute for 3D geometry selection.

How serious are you? You know you can get your feet wet in 3D with Alibre pretty darned cheap and you can move on to a good MCAD program if you need to later and some of the stuff you learn in Alibre will save you time in other programs as there is commonality in functions.

Funny thing about 3D CAD. I know that lots of stuff on shop floors is still 2D drawings on someones desk or clipboard. But with a 3D nodeler I can generate all kinds of views or section views the 2D guys can't off of the same exact parts and let me tell you it makes a big difference in time savings in cad and in eliminating lots of mistakes on the shop floor.

No easy way out. If you are lazy serious cad and machining is not for you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ddnielsen View Post
    Hi ranchak~
    If you'll allow me to comiserate - Sounds like I'm pretty much in the same boat, but I think we're on the right track. I haven't ordered a single part to build my CNC yet - I'm in the information gathering stage. From past experience I found that what will work best for me is to get the learning curves mastered (not so much fun) before I build the machine (fun). I don't want to build a nice machine only to find that I've made mistakes in my choices about how I'm going to run it. So my learning path will be: 1. Play with the software and learn its limits (or mine, ha!) 2. Learn about the electronics interfacing (drivers, power supply, etc.) 3. Apply what I've learned to making the actual machine.

I was on 'Build Your Own CNC Router' (Build Your Own CNC Router Machine) site recently. Patrick, (the CNC guru there) has experience with, and recommends Solid Edge 2D and Mach3 CAD/CAM software for an 'entry level budget'. (He prefers AutoCAD but I'm in no position to buy that) I've already downloaded Solid Edge 2D and was pleasantly surprised at how robust it is. It's important that whatever the CAD software brand, it needs to be able to convert/import .DXF files and also save .DXF files/revisions, which I believe are required in Mach3 to produce toolpaths. I haven't yet downloaded the Mach3 demo software, but I read that you can disable the printer drivers and work with it 'experimentally' to learn about how it works - sounds great to me! I also read that the Mach3 demo will limit output to 500 lines of G-code, so it's actually able to be used with your machine so you can evaluate it in real time.

CAMBAM also sounds like it holds promise - I simply haven't made up my mind yet about all this stuff and need to do more research before I spend my hard-earned money for licensing.

Back to SE2D...'Yes', there is a learning curve. 'No', learning curves are not the most fun thing to overcome, especially if you're feeling rushed. I do have some limited experience with other CAD software. I went through the included tutorials and like what I see and believe that it will work for me. I could easily go to the table and draw out plans for my guitars as I've done for many years but I'm trying to think of overcoming this learning curve as a worthwhile investment of my time. It's been said that anything worth having is worth working for...

I do feel 'better' about this after reading testimony from Patrick, who has used it successfully and speaks well of it.

I know that I'll be in for some frustrating moments solving problems while I learn how all this stuff works, but I'm trying to keep a positive attitude - If other people can do this - SO CAN I! I know that I'm not alone. Everyone starts at ground zero and everyone has the same concerns as you do, so don't get all hung up on the little things. You can do this! Seimens has a newsgroup, user forum, and other tutorials.

You can also import other CNC .DXF files, for instance, "Download JGRO’s Design in DXF format" (CNCzone.com-Machinist Community Forums - Welcome Page - Welcome Page) to speed up learning.

IMHO, observing what others have done is a great way to learn. I downloaded the JGRO files and have been fooling around with them in SE2D. This is cool stuff!

I don't know if any of this helps you or not, but you have both my sympathies and my best wishes going forward with this. At least you know you're not alone in the boat! Ha!

Dale,
    Nielsen Custom Guitars
    Just browsing through.... Even though SolidEdge is a great CAD program, you're only going to have limited CAM capabilities using Mach3/LazyCAM. Defintely a dedicated CAM software will make toolpath creation and gcode way easier. A basic one like Cut2D would be great. MeshCAM and Cut3D are good for 3D parts, but you have limited control as to how the parts are machined. CamBam can do both, but the learning curve is steeper. Uf you want full control of how your parts are machined, it's going to cost a pretty penny!

Dale, I build a limited amount of custom guitars and parts, and have a CAD guy who turns my 2D drawing into 3D with SolidEdge, and the models are excellent. I've had no problems bringing the models into my CAM software...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ranchak View Post
    Here is my 2 cents worth. I got into a CNC plasma/router about three years as a "hobby" type thing. I knew nothing about CNC so it was learn on the fly. I started with Vectric's Vcarve program for design, and Mach 3 for machine control. Luckily I hit on a good combination, Vcarve was relatively easy to learn and generates all your Gcode , and it plays very nicely with Mach3. I used Vcarve for about 6 months then Vectric came out with their Aspire program which allowed me to start designing in 2.5 D. which is extremely interesting and fun. Aspire is not a full 3d package but it can do about anything you could want to put into a sign or relief carving. Plus it takes care of the Gcode. Aspire costs about $2000.00, Vcarve about $600.00. You could start with Vcarve and "upgrade"for a nominal charge to Aspire at a later date. Vectrics whole line up is good and you can spend as much or as little as you want depending on your needs. You can get a 30 day full demo version on all, I would recommend it.
    If you are looking for a 2d program you might look at Draftsight, its free and is very similar to the Autocad interface.

Good Luck
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 1948 View Post
    Here is my 2 cents worth. I got into a CNC plasma/router about three years as a "hobby" type thing. I knew nothing about CNC so it was learn on the fly. I started with Vectric's Vcarve program for design, and Mach 3 for machine control. Luckily I hit on a good combination, Vcarve was relatively easy to learn and generates all your Gcode , and it plays very nicely with Mach3. I used Vcarve for about 6 months then Vectric came out with their Aspire program which allowed me to start designing in 2.5 D. which is extremely interesting and fun. Aspire is not a full 3d package but it can do about anything you could want to put into a sign or relief carving. Plus it takes care of the Gcode. Aspire costs about $2000.00, Vcarve about $600.00. You could start with Vcarve and "upgrade"for a nominal charge to Aspire at a later date. Vectrics whole line up is good and you can spend as much or as little as you want depending on your needs. You can get a 30 day full demo version on all, I would recommend it.
    If you are looking for a 2d program you might look at Draftsight, its free and is very similar to the Autocad interface.

Good Luck
    Mike
    I agree. Vectric is top notch and easy to use software. For the money Cut2D is probably the easiest 2.5D program to use....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know there are severe limits money can place on your tools quality. I do think though that if you can get into a CAM program that works off of solids you will be far better off. Now if it is just for nesting parts on a burn table stay with simple. As for machining though being able to see a true representation of the part saves a lot of confusion and mistakes on the shop floor and being able to pick a set of features easily can only be done this way. 2D is click click click and hope you got them all and hope you did not mix sizes up to boot. An additional benefit to 3D is communication with customers. You throw a gob of 2d drawings to your customer for job approval and your chances are far greater for problems compared to a 3D model your customer can actually view and rotate with free viewers.

Draftsight is free but considering the serious time of change and problems coming soon to their CAD users I would stick with the 2D from Solid Edge. It is not going anywhere anytime in the future.

Is your primary interest as a hobbiest making a few parts or are you looking to aquire professional skills you can later market both in parts and work?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cut 2D is really great for the low , low price.Cut 3D is also well worth it.I used Mastercam at work , but for the home hobbyist it is way too expensive.