Need Help! SolidWorks HSMWorks toolpath cutting through contour during 2D Contour roughing pass

Thread: SolidWorks HSMWorks toolpath cutting through contour during 2D Contour roughing pass

Downloads
    Uploads

Default SolidWorks HSMWorks toolpath cutting through contour during 2D Contour roughing pass

Hello everyone,
    I am new to HSMWorks and the forum, so I apologize for any of my naivete.

I need to create the g-code for a part that has several extruded bosses. I used 2D Adaptive Clearing to remove the majority of the material, and then used 2D Contour to remove the remaining material and complete two finishing passes. The toolpath for the 2D contour roughing passes is cutting through an arc on a few of the extruded bosses. The 2D contour toolpath correctly follows the contour on the finishing passes, just not the roughing pass. The toolpath correctly follows the contour for the rest of the arcs on an extruded boss. The part consists of two copies of a set of extruded bosses, formed using the Linear Pattern feature. For some of the extruded bosses, the toolpath will incorrectly cut through one arc on the copied extruded boss, but not the original. For two of extruded bosses, the toolpath cuts through an arc on both the copy and the original. For two of the extruded bosses, the toolpath correctly follows the contour for both the copy and the original.
    I am not sure why it is doing this; would someone be able and willing to help me understand why this is happening?
    Thank you in advance

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SolidWorks HSMWorks toolpath cutting through contour during 2D Contour roughing pass-incorrecttoolpathscreenshot-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: SolidWorks HSMWorks toolpath cutting through contour during 2D Contour roughing p

Quote Originally Posted by viaae1 View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I am new to HSMWorks and the forum, so I apologize for any of my naivete.

I need to create the g-code for a part that has several extruded bosses. I used 2D Adaptive Clearing to remove the majority of the material, and then used 2D Contour to remove the remaining material and complete two finishing passes. The toolpath for the 2D contour roughing passes is cutting through an arc on a few of the extruded bosses. The 2D contour toolpath correctly follows the contour on the finishing passes, just not the roughing pass. The toolpath correctly follows the contour for the rest of the arcs on an extruded boss. The part consists of two copies of a set of extruded bosses, formed using the Linear Pattern feature. For some of the extruded bosses, the toolpath will incorrectly cut through one arc on the copied extruded boss, but not the original. For two of extruded bosses, the toolpath cuts through an arc on both the copy and the original. For two of the extruded bosses, the toolpath correctly follows the contour for both the copy and the original.
    I am not sure why it is doing this; would someone be able and willing to help me understand why this is happening?
    Thank you in advance

I assume you mean the lines that go straight through the bottom left curve?.
    There is a way you can seperate/break the contour selections to individually select all your roughing lines.
    This way you can omit the extrusion line and select it on it's own later.
    Can't remember specifically what to press, you'll have to play with it.

I have issues with cut throughs sometimes too (I'm on Inventor hsm though). It's a mystery and seems random.
    Sometimes I just change the gcodes in notepad to avoid them.

Try it out with 'both ways' selected too and see how it turns out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: SolidWorks HSMWorks toolpath cutting through contour during 2D Contour roughing p

Thank you! I really appreciate your help and knowing that it isn't just me having this issue. I was able to fix the problem by unselecting the 2D roughing passes option, and instead using the multiple depths option with finish only at the final depth, in addition to the multiple finishing passes option.