4th axis ISSUES

Thread: 4th axis ISSUES

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 4th axis ISSUES

I'm trying to make a simple part for my Haas VF2 with 4th axis rotation. I have a model , it's like a round with two lobes. For Geometry, I pick the profile and use Wrapped around X axis. But the tool path does not follow the geometry. It just makes a round circle. If you can see the picture, the tool path is just round, not following the shape. It cuts through the lobes??Any ideas on what I am doing wrong here?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4th axis ISSUES-capture-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 4th axis ISSUES

More clues: I am using (gMill Haas 4x eval) for a machine. I have a 4th axis simultaneous license.

Downloads
    Uploads

Found the answer. If you want a 4th axis simultaneous tool path, it would not work for me with Profile, or Pocket. At the bottom of the operations list is 5th axis simulation. That command opens up a bunch of surface choices.With a little bit of work, I was able to select surfaces and make the part turn 360 degrees while machining the surfaces. There are 2 different places in the options for rotate around axis. Those both have to be set to Y, or whatever your rotation axis is. Lots of options now, and a lot of challenges.My actual part is way more complex that the blue part in the picture. If I select all of the surfaces, it stalls the computer. So break it down to several steps, That worked except one of the steps wants to send the cutter through the part.It will take some time to find the right settings to fix that,

Downloads
    Uploads

You might try using DeskProto for your CAM system, which would give you a much more straightforward workflow. You could just import the part as a STL, and use a continuous 4-axis strategy like "Around X"..

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Racecar,

You are correct, under the 5 Axis option there exists the 4 Axis simultaneous option as well. There are a lot of different ways to cut said part. As far as the toolpath going through part, you need to turn on gouge checking. Gouge checking is typical in 4 and 5 axis simultaneous work. Simply check the first gouge group and select "Drives Surfaces" only. This should prevent your tool from going through the part. You can access our website for videos on how this is accomplished or you can check out hundreds of videos on YouTube to show you as well. Or simply call the tech support line and they can walk you through it.

Thank you,
    Darrin - SolidCAM USA

Downloads
    Uploads

could indicate the videos that teach 4 simultaneous axes
    thanks