Electronic newbie - what to include in ESS enclosure?

Thread: Electronic newbie - what to include in ESS enclosure?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Electronic newbie - what to include in ESS enclosure?

I'm totally inexperienced with electronics! I want to put an ESS in a stand alone enclosure, to connect with a G540 I put in my little Techno router. The router has been working just fine with Mach3 and the parallel port on my desktop, but I want to use it with a laptop.

So my question is what do I really need to include in my enclosure. Seems like all I need is 1 ribbon with a db25 case mount, and a 5v wall wart, is that adequate? I've seen the commercial units with 3 db25 outputs, auxiliary RJ45, e-stop, Mean Well power supply, on/off switch.. My spindle is a small electric router, wouldn't mind turning that on and off with a relay, but I'm thinking I can do that with the G540.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Electronic newbie - what to include in ESS enclosure?

On the ESS you have 3 "db25" ports. Port 1 is the port for the parallel I/O for your G540. The others port 2 and 3 can be used for inputs or outputs depending upon which pin and which port. I have limited experience with the G540 but with it you are limited on your inputs and outputs for switches etc. And it does not use port 2 and port 3. On my machine I use a simple bob "break out board" to drive the signals to the stepper drivers and wire directly to the ESS with a 5V supply for my auto zero setup and limit switches. If you decide to use a laser or other tools ( tool changer) on your CNC these extra I/O pins can help so I would make allowances for them if nothing else but a screw terminal breakout board. I also use Mach3 so the software you are using might not be able to communicate with the other ports on the ESS.
    Good luck
    Doc

Last edited by wyzarddoc; 02-28-2020 at 09:55 AM. Reason: additional info

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Electronic newbie - what to include in ESS enclosure?

Thanks Doc

I have no plans for this router other than using it as it is til I upgrade to a bigger machine

I just discovered my power supply has a 5v out in addition to 36v, so I'm thinking I can use that to power the ESS.