ESS is big improvement over UC100 - however, spindles starts during boot up?

Thread: ESS is big improvement over UC100 - however, spindles starts during boot up?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default ESS is big improvement over UC100 - however, spindles starts during boot up?

Good morning all,

I was having all sorts of problems with UC100 having synch errors and disconnects and finally gave up on it. I picked up the ESS Smooth Stepper board from Automation Technologies (it is great having a place where you can go there and pick stuff up within an hour of ordering it!).

I swapped out the boards and got the machine running. The SmoothStepper lives up to its name - definitely a smooth pulse stream!

The only issue I have found thus far is that my spindle starts up before the Mach3 software finishes powering up. This never happened with the UC100.

I know I can leave the spindle off until Mach3 is fully powered, but am looking for a more elegant solution to the problem.

Is there a way to tweak the settings so this doesn't happen?

Chris D.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: ESS is big improvement over UC100 - however, spindles starts during boot up?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris D View Post
    Good morning all,

I was having all sorts of problems with UC100 having synch errors and disconnects and finally gave up on it. I picked up the ESS Smooth Stepper board from Automation Technologies (it is great having a place where you can go there and pick stuff up within an hour of ordering it!).

I swapped out the boards and got the machine running. The SmoothStepper lives up to its name - definitely a smooth pulse stream!

The only issue I have found thus far is that my spindle starts up before the Mach3 software finishes powering up. This never happened with the UC100.

I know I can leave the spindle off until Mach3 is fully powered, but am looking for a more elegant solution to the problem.

Is there a way to tweak the settings so this doesn't happen?

Chris D.
    How do you have the spindle wired to the VFD For and DCM connection

For the UC100 did you have the correct USB cable this usually is what causes the disconnect problem, it needs to use a double shielded cable to prevent this problem

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: ESS is big improvement over UC100 - however, spindles starts during boot up?

The UC100 had been working good for a couple of months, then it started acting up again. I have tried a bunch of different cables etc., but in the end, the problems just come back again - not worth my aggravation to deal with it any longer.

Regarding the spindle auto-starting problem

Using the same exact hardware as before (with UC100) ....

BOB: C10S
    Spindle FWD: Output #2 --> Port 2, pin 17

Just simple relay control for on/off (FWD/OFF).

Chris D.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Chris D View Post
    The UC100 had been working good for a couple of months, then it started acting up again. I have tried a bunch of different cables etc., but in the end, the problems just come back again - not worth my aggravation to deal with it any longer.

Regarding the spindle auto-starting problem

Using the same exact hardware as before (with UC100) ....

BOB: C10S
    Spindle FWD: Output #2 --> Port 2, pin 17

Just simple relay control for on/off (FWD/OFF).

Chris D.
    Check the jumpers on the C10S output for the relay you may need to change how it is seeing that signal

Make sure the Power supply is good for the ESS and it has full power at power up

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

You have a setting wrong in Mach3, your USB cable unless your in a industrial building with lots of EMI present should not be an issue. The spindle being driven by a unshielded VFD and wiring could be an issue IF it was Running but its not. Your on ESS now, correct?

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro