Need Help! c6 spindle speed set-up


Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: c6 spindle speed set-up

  1. #1
    Member CS900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    673
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default c6 spindle speed set-up

    well i'm not sure if this is a mach3 issue or an ethernet smoothstepper issue. I have a step/dir C6 spindle control board and it kind of works. I've set up the board per the instructions here and i'm still having an issue. The spindle will turn on forward and reverse and the speed will adjust, but it seems I don't get the correct output signal to the C6 board. By that I mean that the voltage output from the C6 seems to only swing by 5V-ish. So I can use the adjustment pot to get the spindle up to full speed, but then as a 0 speed command the spindle will still run at half speed (5V out of the C6 board), or likewise if I turn the adjustment knob down so that 0 speed is zero, i can't get the spindle up to full speed. It's not an issue with the C6 (i dont think), if I close mach3, voltage output drops to 0.

    So not sure what to look at now. My steps per unit and velocity are set per the instructions to get a 25kHz output, the max step frequency is set to 32KHz, spindle pulleys are set correctly (0-6k). I currently have it setup for step and direction in both mach3 and the smoothstepper config. Any thing else I can look into?

    Similar Threads:


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1733
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: c6 spindle speed set-up

    Sounds like you have the C6 card configured for +5V to -5V not +-10V



  3. #3
    Member mactec54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15362
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: c6 spindle speed set-up

    Quote Originally Posted by CS900 View Post
    well i'm not sure if this is a mach3 issue or an ethernet smoothstepper issue. I have a step/dir C6 spindle control board and it kind of works. I've set up the board per the instructions here and i'm still having an issue. The spindle will turn on forward and reverse and the speed will adjust, but it seems I don't get the correct output signal to the C6 board. By that I mean that the voltage output from the C6 seems to only swing by 5V-ish. So I can use the adjustment pot to get the spindle up to full speed, but then as a 0 speed command the spindle will still run at half speed (5V out of the C6 board), or likewise if I turn the adjustment knob down so that 0 speed is zero, i can't get the spindle up to full speed. It's not an issue with the C6 (i dont think), if I close mach3, voltage output drops to 0.

    So not sure what to look at now. My steps per unit and velocity are set per the instructions to get a 25kHz output, the max step frequency is set to 32KHz, spindle pulleys are set correctly (0-6k). I currently have it setup for step and direction in both mach3 and the smoothstepper config. Any thing else I can look into?
    The C6 has a 0-10v analog output you must have something wrong with your connections if you only have a 5v output, do you have the 12v supply to the C6 Board

    Mactec54


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1733
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: c6 spindle speed set-up

    Check the wire size running from the C6 board to the VFD, if it is undersized it will have issues . I had this happen on a VFD and increased the wire size from 28AWG to 18AWG and it worked perfect. Someone else posted this potential issue and it fixed my unit.



  5. #5
    Member mactec54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15362
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: c6 spindle speed set-up

    Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    Check the wire size running from the C6 board to the VFD, if it is undersized it will have issues . I had this happen on a VFD and increased the wire size from 28AWG to 18AWG and it worked perfect. Someone else posted this potential issue and it fixed my unit.
    That is not correct, 22/24 AWG is all that is needed, or regular Cat6 phone cable for control of any VFD Drive logic, 18AWG you can use to drive a 1.5Kw spindle motor

    Mactec54


  6. #6
    Member CS900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    673
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: c6 spindle speed set-up

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The C6 has a 0-10v analog output you must have something wrong with your connections if you only have a 5v output, do you have the 12v supply to the C6 Board
    well I only get a 5V "swing". So if I have the adjustment pot set to it's min, the max output i'll get is 5V. If i adjust the pot up, I can get the full 10V output, but it'll never go below 5V.

    I have it hooked up to a 12V power supply as well.

    I'm trying to find someone with an oscilloscope to see what input frequency is as i adjust the commanded spindle speed. I think that'll at least tell me if it's a hardware issue or software, but i'm open to any thoughts .



  7. #7
    Member machinehop5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1573
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    2

    Default Re: c6 spindle speed set-up

    Quote Originally Posted by CS900 View Post
    well i'm not sure if this is a mach3 issue or an ethernet smoothstepper issue. The spindle will turn on forward and reverse and the speed will adjust, but it seems I don't get the correct output signal to the C6 board.
    ...double check Mach3 settings
    https://www.machsupport.com/wp-conte...all_Config.pdf
    Chapter 5.3.6



  8. #8
    Member mactec54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15362
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: c6 spindle speed set-up

    Quote Originally Posted by CS900 View Post
    well I only get a 5V "swing". So if I have the adjustment pot set to it's min, the max output i'll get is 5V. If i adjust the pot up, I can get the full 10V output, but it'll never go below 5V.

    I have it hooked up to a 12V power supply as well.

    I'm trying to find someone with an oscilloscope to see what input frequency is as i adjust the commanded spindle speed. I think that'll at least tell me if it's a hardware issue or software, but i'm open to any thoughts .
    Is there a jumper on the Board that you have to change for 0-5v or 0-10v output this C6 is stand alone so if it is working then it is something to do with the C6, the supply signal needs to be 25Khz from your control for it to output 0-10v check the Power supply is connected correctly

    WARNING: Check the polarity and voltage of the external power source and
    connect the 12V or 15-24V, and GND. Overvoltage or reverse polarity power
    applied to these terminals (X1) can cause damage to the board, and/or the power
    source.

    Configuring the Control Software:
    It is strongly recommend you read your control software’s manual. You need to
    configure your control software to control the spindle as if it was an angular axis.
    This card requires a 25 KHz input signal to deliver 10VDC. So you have to set the
    speed of the motor (spindle) at maximum. For acceleration values adjust them to
    where you feel comfortable. Keep in mind the acceleration of the motor must also
    be set in your VFD.

    Last edited by mactec54; 05-08-2022 at 11:49 AM.
    Mactec54


  9. #9
    Member CS900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    673
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: c6 spindle speed set-up

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Is there a jumper on the Board that you have to change for 0-5v or 0-10v output this C6 is stand alone so if it is working then it is something to do with the C6, the supply signal needs to be 25Khz from your control for it to output 0-10v check the Power supply is connected correctly

    WARNING: Check the polarity and voltage of the external power source and
    connect the 12V or 15-24V, and GND. Overvoltage or reverse polarity power
    applied to these terminals (X1) can cause damage to the board, and/or the power
    source.

    Configuring the Control Software:
    It is strongly recommend you read your control software’s manual. You need to
    configure your control software to control the spindle as if it was an angular axis.
    This card requires a 25 KHz input signal to deliver 10VDC. So you have to set the
    speed of the motor (spindle) at maximum. For acceleration values adjust them to
    where you feel comfortable. Keep in mind the acceleration of the motor must also
    be set in your VFD.
    Hi Mactec, thanks for your responce. No there is no configuration on the board itself, at least none that I can physically see or that are referenced in the manual. The power is connected correctly as well.

    machinehop5, Thanks but i've been over all the Mach3 settings several times. I've set it up per the manual, per the C6 manual, and per the smoothstepper manual, and none of those settings seem to help (or hurt) the issue.

    It's seeming like i really need a scope to propperly diagnose this issue. The smoothstepper manual highly recommends a PWM based board, so I may spend a few $$ and give one of those a try. I've also heard that port1 seems to have some issues with spindle control. Anyone heard of this before or have any first hand experience with it?



  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1516
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CS900 View Post
    Hi Mactec, thanks for your responce. No there is no configuration on the board itself, at least none that I can physically see or that are referenced in the manual. The power is connected correctly as well.

    machinehop5, Thanks but i've been over all the Mach3 settings several times. I've set it up per the manual, per the C6 manual, and per the smoothstepper manual, and none of those settings seem to help (or hurt) the issue.

    It's seeming like i really need a scope to propperly diagnose this issue. The smoothstepper manual highly recommends a PWM based board, so I may spend a few $$ and give one of those a try. I've also heard that port1 seems to have some issues with spindle control. Anyone heard of this before or have any first hand experience with it?

    Do you have direction relays/control attached to it?.
    Just thinking a 5v+/- swing may happen if no particular direction control specified is seen by the board.

    You can use the +/- 'swing' as a cw/ccw control in servos and such.
    Just a thought.


    I'd be considering getting one of those cheapo $10 5 axis breakout boards (with the built in 10v output) connected on another port atm. They do actually work because they're basic.
    I used one for years.



  11. #11
    Member mactec54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15362
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: c6 spindle speed set-up

    Quote Originally Posted by CS900 View Post
    Hi Mactec, thanks for your responce. No there is no configuration on the board itself, at least none that I can physically see or that are referenced in the manual. The power is connected correctly as well.

    machinehop5, Thanks but i've been over all the Mach3 settings several times. I've set it up per the manual, per the C6 manual, and per the smoothstepper manual, and none of those settings seem to help (or hurt) the issue.

    It's seeming like i really need a scope to propperly diagnose this issue. The smoothstepper manual highly recommends a PWM based board, so I may spend a few $$ and give one of those a try. I've also heard that port1 seems to have some issues with spindle control. Anyone heard of this before or have any first hand experience with it?
    Ok try the Mach3 step frequency at 100 the the SmoothStepper spindle frequency at 100 they should be both the same 100=10v

    Mactec54


  12. #12
    Member CS900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    673
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: c6 spindle speed set-up

    Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Do you have direction relays/control attached to it?.
    Just thinking a 5v+/- swing may happen if no particular direction control specified is seen by the board.

    You can use the +/- 'swing' as a cw/ccw control in servos.
    Just a thought.


    I'd be considering getting one of those cheapo $10 5 axis breakout boards (with the built in 10v output) on another port atm. They do actually work because they're basic.
    The C6 board does use relays for direction control. I'm not seeing anywhere in the manual, or from my google-fu that the C6 boad will do -5v to 5v control, or 0-5v control.



  13. #13
    Member mactec54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15362
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: c6 spindle speed set-up

    Quote Originally Posted by CS900 View Post
    The C6 board does use relays for direction control. I'm not seeing anywhere in the manual, or from my google-fu that the C6 boad will do -5v to 5v control, or 0-5v control.
    The manual has this which is where your problem is it needs the output to the board to be 10v your output is 5v so you only get 50%

    A Variable Frequency Drive or Inverter works by modifying the frequency for AC motors.
    You can control most of these devices with an external analog signal (0-10VDC). That is,
    if there is 5VDC coming into through the control signal, the motor will run at 50% of full
    speed, if there was 10VDC, the motor will run at 100% of full speed. If there is no signal
    coming out, then the motor will stop.
    This unit can also be used on many DC motor controllers by replacing the potentiometer
    that controls the speed.

    Mactec54


  14. #14
    Member CS900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    673
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: c6 spindle speed set-up

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Ok try the Mach3 step frequency at 100 the the SmoothStepper spindle frequency at 100 they should be both the same 100=10v
    i'm not sure i follow your instructions. Are you saying to set the steps per unit * velocity (in mach3) so that it is equal to the spindle step max frequency (in smoothstepper config)?



  15. #15
    Member mactec54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15362
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: c6 spindle speed set-up

    This Video may help as well.



    Mactec54


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

c6 spindle speed set-up

c6 spindle speed set-up