UC400ETH Issues.

Thread: UC400ETH Issues.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default UC400ETH Issues.

So i finally had some time this weekend to start putting the CNC Kit together before installing it into my real case so that i could test it (Still waiting on a PC Board so i don't have to take my desktop out to the garage).

However i cannot get UCCNC to "move" any of the motors to let me know everything looks to be ok so i can move onto the next phase (installing it in its main case). I currently have this test setup hooked up to my main desktop PC, so i wasn't sure if going ahead and installing a bunch of things for Mach3 might cause more issues then just trying to stick with getting it to work with UCCNC? as i really can't clear the computer or anything like that to try "clean tests" but i don't think that would be necessary?

When watching some videos on the UC100 (could not find anything about this issue mentioned with the UC400ETH) was that if you had forgotten to install/setup something on your PC side first you can go into device manager and see the UC100 listed and simply install the drivers from the PC. 2 things here for me in regards to the UC400ETH, it does not display in the device manager window under other devices named "UC400ETH" maybe it has some other name? and the other, i don't recall it ever asking me to do anything at the start??

Another thing that i read is that you need to use a PCIe Ethernet Card? My PC does not have one, only the mobo one. Also i currently do not own UCCNC but from my understanding the demo mode, so long as there is a controller connected I'll be able to do simple things like "jog" just so i know the unit is working. I still have a few more things on the list to take care of, so i was trying to wait until i have everything running before i buy and link the unit to a license (god knows I'll blow something up so if i can save the $65 that would be $65 less I'd have to spend again.....)

I was trying to be prudent with listing as much info as i could think of, i work a night shift so i will do my best to give any more info or try to answer any questions to the best of my abilities. With that i thank each and everyone of you for the time you spent looking at this post and any info you may provide.

My kit contains the following items which i bought from Automation Technologies inc. (As a kit, without the UC400ETH and its 12V SMPS)

More info on the unit above for reference.
    Code:
    Part List:
    • UC400ETH ETHERNET MOTION CONTROLLER
    • C10 Bidirectional Breakout Board, Rev 11.3
    • KL-5056 20-50VDC 5.6A Digital Bipolar Stepper Motor Driver -32 bit DSP Based
    • NEMA23 570oz/in 5A 1/4” Dual Shaft Stepper Motor (KL23H2100-50-4BM)
    • 48VDC/12.5A Switching CNC Power Supply, (KL-600-48)
    • Switching Power 12V/5A 110V/220VAC (KL-60-12)
    • 5V/3A Switching Power Supply Unit (KL-15-5)[/list]

Wires Used:
    I used a brand new PC Power Cable to power up the 3 SMPS.
    The wires running power to the Drivers, C10 and the UC400ETH i used 18 gauge stranded AWG (for the test build its unshielded, none of the wires currently being used will go into the final build).
    The other signal wires running from the C10 to the 5056 Drivers are shielded 22 gauge stranded AWG (had more of this, so i went ahead and cut some for the test build)

C10 rev. 11.3 Board Jumper Locations:
    All 4 Jumpers are on 1-2

Other Info:
    All 3 SMPS units have an incoming voltage of - 121.5V
    48V SMPS output - 48.5V (x3, across all outputs, connects to the Stepper Drivers)
    12V SMPS output - 12.25V (Connects to the UC400ETH)
    5V SMPS output - 5.02V (Connects to the C10 rev. 11.3 Breakout Board)
    All readings are solid with zero fluctuation.
    (The above results were done using a Klein Tools Digital Multimeter, Auto-Ranging, 600V MM400)
    I followed the UC400ETH manual for setup;

Made sure to have the "validate settings upon exit" checked, not sure if it worked? the next window is what i got.

My PC can see the UC400ETH with the UCxxx Utility, which i then made sure to remove the check from the "DHCP" as well as made sure the 3 Internet Protocols matched, then saved. Did a restart on both PC and the Unit and settings are indeed saved.

Looks to be ok? I did not rename the network so its still listed as my default "Internet" as this will not be connecting to this machine on the final build.

Click and drag or to read text below
    (If my issue is simply using UCCNC without a license I'm going to stab myself in the eye, as i read the manual that goes over this section and from what i gather demo mode will only do "simulation" movement IF there is no controller connected.)

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: UC400ETH Issues.

Don't know much but:
    1. Manual shows using ethernet crossover cable not standard cable for direct PC connection.
    2. It does say use pci card so that could also factor.

Personally I would reset all my pc settings and connect it back up to your router.
    Then try uc400 also connected via the router instead 5.1.2 in the manual.
    That will likely eliminate or confirm the 2 problems above being the issue.

Downloads
    Uploads

I replied on the UCCNC forum as well.

I believe you need a UCCNC license to get any motion.

You should have a blue light on the UC400ETH when it's connected with UCCNC. But you may not get the blue light without a license.
    Buy the license, as UCCNC is far superior to Mach3 in most cases.

You don't need a crossover cable, unless your PC requires it. Most newer ones don't.
    You don't need a PCIe ethernet card, unless you don't have a native ethernet port on the motherboard.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I thought that after I posted. I bet he has the license, but on the garage pc.
    The pc he was trying is a bench tester.

Yes Gerry.
    One thing I don't understand still. How can a Mach3 license cost so much when the program hasn't been updated for 7+ years?. It's a scandal.

Downloads
    Uploads

If they lowered the price of Mach3, they wouldn't get anyone to buy Mach4. I think they still make a large percentage of their money on Mach3, as almost every chinese machine comes with a pirated copy, which leads to legitimate sales.
    Imo, nobody should be buying Mach3 these days, as it's more expensive than a lot of the competition, and is severely outdated.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If they lowered the price of Mach3, they wouldn't get anyone to buy Mach4. I think they still make a large percentage of their money on Mach3, as almost every chinese machine comes with a pirated copy, which leads to legitimate sales.
    Imo, nobody should be buying Mach3 these days, as it's more expensive than a lot of the competition, and is severely outdated.
    True. However.To be fair to Mach, keep it simple with 3-4 axis, winXP, single pport... It's flawless all day every day.
    Good for bench testing equipment too.
    My machine hasn't ran since July20 due to injury so I've got a couple of things I'm gradually testing out in the meantime.

I'm looking at mach alternatives now too but to me the UC400ETH isn't that future proof.
    I'm saving for the 300ETH and 2 UCBB instead,
    At least if I don't get on with UCCNC I can go back to mach without having to replace it all.

Good times these money pits aren't they? lol.
    Almost wish I'd never been gifted that CAD/CAM pc of mine. Would've saved me a fortune, I'd have never started on all this!!!! shhhhh!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah its crazy how much Mach3 costs, I'll be going with UCCNC. Pretty much nothing works unless you have that license. Its just funny how they have it worded in the manual "if there is no controller connected it will simulate the moves" or something like that, after reading it again i can see how i thought it would at least work in demo mode like Mach3 does.

Was able to fire up the test unit with Mach3 all checks out, was more worried about getting this project started as prior to this the only thing I've wired in my life was a light switch.

Downloads
    Uploads

ok Folks - pre-waning - Hijack

I have a silly issue - it is another low IQ problem, seem to get a few of these as time goes on.

background - have an old gantry CNC that I build - it has served me well but is getting old - every time I use it, there is something that needs attention. SO - I started a new build, Granite concrete base ... ac 2kw Drives and new laptop and new uc400eth. That is where my issue starts - good old mach3 seems to choose on startup on or the other UC400eth's to connect to. And yes I can unplug one and it will connect to the other, but that is not fun. Some smart designer put the network cable connector on the back of both machines and then pushed them up agast the wall. I call his mother funny names in the mirror, but it doesn't help. The old CNC is fine - it is sort of light, but that same designer thought it was a good idea to make the granite really thick and heavy (½ ton).

Is there a way to get Mach3 to lock on to only one UC400eth?

before someone says to use different subnets - that is a real pain in the butt to get files from one PC to the other without reconnecting the two networks back together, which means you have wasted a weekend going around in a circle (I didn't waste a weekend on it! it was two)