Smoothstepper Breakout Board setup

Thread: Smoothstepper Breakout Board setup

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Smoothstepper Breakout Board setup

Smoothstepper ESS
    Mach3
    Breakout board

I'm getting things ready to go and found a question regarding the 5VDC on BOB.
    There is a jumper on the ESS board plug 1 if connected it, it sends 5VDC to the BOB. If I jump it do I need the USB CABLE BETWEEN THE BOB AND PC?

or do I need both?

Or do I need 5VDC at all since I'm not using the relay?

thanks
    Hager

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Smoothstepper Breakout Board setup

Hi,
    generally the USS is powered from the PC via the USB cable. If you then use pin 26 of the IDC header to power the
    BoB it will be supplied indirectly from the PC also.

The only concern would be if the BoB draws significant current the it will excessively load the PCs USB outlet.
    Should your BoB require more than a few hundred mA I would power it with a separate supply of adequate output.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks JOE,
    I am using a 5.25VDC 2 amp PS for the ESS board could I just tap off of it to run both?

So the BOB for sure needs 5V to operate?
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    my apologies, after re-reading your post you are not using the USS as I had thought.

The USS can derive its required 5V over the UBS cable whereas the ESS cannot. You cannot derive a DC supply over an Ethernet cable.

The recommendation is that the ESS needs 500mA to operate reliably so with your 2A supply it could handily supply 5V to the ESS and the BoB.
    I am assuming here that your BoB is 5V and is not overly power hungry? Some BoBs are 24V input, for instance the MB03 by CNCRoom.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Guess I need to rewrite it, think I lost the previous post.
    The right side of the board there are connections for the on board relay and servo controls and V input of 12-24 V, I do not plan to use either of these.

On the lower right side the connections state 5V and another ground, is this input or output?

Another option is to take a USB cable and cut it open and connect the 5V the the cable and plug it into the USB port.

Comments?

Here is the illustration of the BOB.

Thanks
    Hager

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smoothstepper Breakout Board setup-533a062c-be73-4944-a0ad-f784e7e38e98-jpeg  

Downloads
    Uploads

A better imagi I hope.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smoothstepper Breakout Board setup-350f0ad5-3b8e-44e6-be6d-4c911169d120-jpeg  

Downloads
    Uploads

A better imagi I hope.”
    https://warp9td.com/images/BOB_Vendo...line/ST-V2.pdf

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smoothstepper Breakout Board setup-bfe5fe85-f937-4d43-94a5-1c079765173f-jpeg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    that looks like a generic Chinese single port BoB. Note that because it has a db25 socket it cannot possibly have a 26th
    wire to conduct 5V from the ESS to the BoB, that requires a 26pin ribbon cable.

I think therefore you require the 12-24V supply as indicated in your pic. One of the advantages of the ESS is that IT DOES
    NOT derive its power from the PC, any upset/failure that occurrs on the ESS does not take out your PC.

If you used the PC to supply your BoB that advantage is lost, and when all said and done you are much more likely
    to have a 'smoke event' with your BoB rather than the ESS.

To get best advantage of your ESS you need another BoB, its not that what you've got is wrong, but because it is a single
    port you have a max of 17 inputs and outputs. A second (bidriectional) BoB would allow ANOTHER 17 inputs and outputs.
    Alternately the C25 BoB ($29.55) has two ports with IDC headers as inputs and is a strictly 5V board and can be powered from
    the ESS and you existing 2A 5V supply. The two boards result in 34 inputs and outputs arranged:

port 1:
    12 outputs 5 inputs
    port 2:
    4 outputs 13 inputs
    TOTAL:
    16 outputs 18 inputs

Note that the C25 has no opto-isolated input or outputs, nor relay outputs, nor a PWM to analogue circuit.
    If you want or need any of those you are expected to be able to supply and fit the few electronic components required to add those features.
    That may not be your cup af tea, but I'm sure the flexibility and the low cost appeal!!!

Craig